How friendly is 'Pet Friendly"?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno, Joey. We aren't pet friendly because we want to make a few extra bucks. We're pet friendly because, well, we like the sort of people who like dogs. We know it will be more cleaning. We charge the same rate per night as we do for a child (guess which is more of a nuisance...).
A guest this fall brought along a Burmese Mountain Dog as a companion dog intended to mitigate her panic attacks. People unfamiliar with the breed (as were we) should note that the animal is roughly the size of a mattress and has a disposition about that of, you guessed it, a mattress. The dog was a serene island during a weekend when its mistress had a panic attack in the dining room one morning at breakfast just when I was bringing out the second course sticky buns, but her friends managed to slot her under the piano so she wouldn't impede traffic flow.
Everything eventually worked out. They were wonderful people and we'll welcome them back in a heartbeat. But ask me if I would prefer cleaning up piddle in a guest room to dealing with a guest having an Episode under the Steinway, I'll pick the dog any day.
Tom.
HighMountainLodge said:
A guest this fall brought along a Burmese Mountain Dog as a companion dog intended to mitigate her panic attacks. People unfamiliar with the breed (as were we) should note that the animal is roughly the size of a mattress and has a disposition about that of, you guessed it, a mattress.
I grew up in Switzerland and loved the Bernese Mountain Dogs. That's not what they are called there, and since their dialect is not a written language I don't know how to spell it "Durbachler" and you roll the "r" and sorta spit out the word.
Our neighbor had one that used to go to market with her mistress, carrying her purse on the way to market, and the basket with foodsutuff on the way back. A really lovely animal. But I think my parents didn't get one because they can tend to drool a bit.
RIki
egoodell said:
HighMountainLodge said:
A guest this fall brought along a Burmese Mountain Dog as a companion dog intended to mitigate her panic attacks. People unfamiliar with the breed (as were we) should note that the animal is roughly the size of a mattress and has a disposition about that of, you guessed it, a mattress.
I grew up in Switzerland and loved the Bernese Mountain Dogs. That's not what they are called there, and since their dialect is not a written language I don't know how to spell it "Durbachler" and you roll the "r" and sorta spit out the word.
Our neighbor had one that used to go to market with her mistress, carrying her purse on the way to market, and the basket with foodsutuff on the way back. A really lovely animal. But I think my parents didn't get one because they can tend to drool a bit.
RIki
I like the Swiss Mountain breeds very much. I considered one for the Inn at one time.
When I opened I had a rescue dog. A Samoyed, and he was a real people dog. Loved everyone. He was found dumped in the woods and due to his abused past, he NEVER barked. Ever. Despite my best efforts, I could not teach him to 'speak'. Anyway, this was a huge plus for an Inn dog.
The down side was the heavy double coat. White hair everywhere. After his passing at age 13, I cleaned up white dust bunnies for the next 3 years. I don't know if I want to go through that again.
The non shedding breeds for the most part, tend to be barkers...and the non barkers (Basenji) are not my taste. So I have been dog free for a few years now.
Those who have dogs at the Inn...how did you pick your breeds?
A Golden because even people afraid of dogs recognize the friendliness of the breed, also the sweetness and quietness factors, and you just deal with the hair. They shed ALWAYS but their hair is long and soft and picks up easily. And you just never wear black
teeth_smile.gif

Argh! I have a golden. I wear black. I warn guests wearing black to not call her over, they ignore me. The dog's hair has 'hooks' so it is impossible to vacuum off the furniture, I have to PICK it out of the weave on the chairs. I can only sell my car to a dog owner.
Bree said:
Argh! I have a golden. I wear black. I warn guests wearing black to not call her over, they ignore me. The dog's hair has 'hooks' so it is impossible to vacuum off the furniture, I have to PICK it out of the weave on the chairs. I can only sell my car to a dog owner.
lol! did you choose a golden as an appropriate B & B dog, or did it just work out that way?
The dog chose me. The B&B came much later.

I have found that the pets themselves (dogs in our case), have been...without exception....quite and friendly, well-behaved and have done NO damage in 6 1/2 years.
Any problems that we have had have been with the pet owners. They disregard policies and do whatever they want to do while they are here. The last people I had pissed me off pretty badly. I have, for the time being, stopped accepting pets and am considering what my policy should be. I put a note up for a while that said "Due to repeated policy violations, we no longer accept guest pets".
I also discontinued allowing three persons in my largest guest room. I may let the new owners decide what they want to do with both of these issues, given recent indications..
Little Blue said:
I may let the new owners decide what they want to do with both of these issues, given recent indications.
That sounds promising! ;)
Not to hijack, but I couldn't find that B&B listed for sale from that link you posted on the other thread...taar.com. Is it gone already?

I have found that the pets themselves (dogs in our case), have been...without exception....quite and friendly, well-behaved and have done NO damage in 6 1/2 years.
Any problems that we have had have been with the pet owners. They disregard policies and do whatever they want to do while they are here. The last people I had pissed me off pretty badly. I have, for the time being, stopped accepting pets and am considering what my policy should be. I put a note up for a while that said "Due to repeated policy violations, we no longer accept guest pets".
I also discontinued allowing three persons in my largest guest room. I may let the new owners decide what they want to do with both of these issues, given recent indications..
Little Blue said:
I may let the new owners decide what they want to do with both of these issues, given recent indications.
That sounds promising! ;)
Not to hijack, but I couldn't find that B&B listed for sale from that link you posted on the other thread...taar.com. Is it gone already?
Hi Penelope
I just emailed it to you off forum.

Back