How friendly is 'Pet Friendly"?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River Wren

Reaction score
I am trying to gather information for the lodge where I work. We are considering some 'pet friendly' rooms but wanted to get some feed back from others who take pets.
What do you require? Crates? Vet records?
What do you expect of a pet owner?
Do you charge a fee? How much?
What is considered a 'damage' ? Is a piddle on the floor a chargable offense? How much of a charge?
For those who do take pets, has it been worthwhile? What are your experiences?
Sorry for so many questions, but these are just some things that come to mind. Thanks.

What do you require? Dogs must be with their people at all times (except if they are having breakfast here).
Crates? Not allowed if the purpose is to dump the dog here all day alone. Fine if the dog usually sleeps in one or the guest is being cautious.
Vet records? No. But we do tell guests what shots the dog should have and that they should be prepared for ticks.
What do you expect of a pet owner? We expect the pet owner to follow our policies, clean up after their dog outside, let us know if there is an 'issue' in the room, leash the dog outside and keep it quiet.
Do you charge a fee? Yes. How much? $25/per stay
What is considered a 'damage' ? Is a piddle on the floor a chargable offense? How much of a charge? We would consider something 'damage' if it could not be used for another guest or if the entire room could not be used for another guest. Charges would be for replacement or loss of revenue depending on how bad it was.
For those who do take pets, has it been worthwhile? What are your experiences? Our experience has been that guests with dogs are no different than guests with kids. If they let the dog sleep in the bed with them at home, they won't make it sleep on the floor here. We have a completely different set of linens for guests with pets. Invest in a hand-held vacuum, you'll need it!

I don't take pets so can not comment on much here except that I would contact my insurance company and ask them if they have any policies you need/should follow in this regard. I remember ours had some guidelines. While Vet records may not be required by you, if your state has (like most or all do) laws regarding pet vaccinations, I would require them to bring them along. This is more for precautionary messures than you needing to see them in order for them to stay. If by chance the dog bites or harms another guest, they have the documents they will need.

I don't take pets so can not comment on much here except that I would contact my insurance company and ask them if they have any policies you need/should follow in this regard. I remember ours had some guidelines. While Vet records may not be required by you, if your state has (like most or all do) laws regarding pet vaccinations, I would require them to bring them along. This is more for precautionary messures than you needing to see them in order for them to stay. If by chance the dog bites or harms another guest, they have the documents they will need..
Good point about the insurance...we cannot accept certain breeds.

I don't take pets so can not comment on much here except that I would contact my insurance company and ask them if they have any policies you need/should follow in this regard. I remember ours had some guidelines. While Vet records may not be required by you, if your state has (like most or all do) laws regarding pet vaccinations, I would require them to bring them along. This is more for precautionary messures than you needing to see them in order for them to stay. If by chance the dog bites or harms another guest, they have the documents they will need..
Bree said:
This is interesting. Can you expand on that? Does that vary by state?

Bree said:
River Wren said:
Bree said:
That varies by YOUR insurance carrier. Our carrier is local to our state, other carriers may vary by not having restrictions or having stricter restrictions. Another B&B that accepts pets says their carrier has no restrictions.

Does pet friendly always mean dogs? What other animals do people travel with? Cats seem unlikely. Ferrits? or ???

Does pet friendly always mean dogs? What other animals do people travel with? Cats seem unlikely. Ferrits? or ???.
River Wren said:
Does pet friendly always mean dogs? What other animals do people travel with? Cats seem unlikely. Ferrits? or ???
We get a lot of requests for cats. I don't take cats, I'm very allergic to them. AND, I have yet to figure out how the owner is going to get the cat to pee outside! Before the cat allergies kicked in, I had a cat who did not take well to a change in routine. She would end up peeing everywhere and puking on the bed.
Snakes would be another pet you might encounter. Birds. Ferrets, sure, why not.
You can specify that you only take (whatever) at your place.

Snakes and maybe other exotic pets. For several years our convention center hosted an exotic pet show, trouble is NONE of the hotels in our area accepted pets. Finally one hotel came forward since these creatures would be in special crates/ aquariums etc. Even they had problems, as their HELP would not go in to clean the rooms afraid 'something' may have excaped. For the following years the guests had to agree to no service!

Insurance will not allow the top dangerous breeds which I can't recall all of them but they do include Pit Bulls, Rotweilers, German Shephards, usually breeds that are already protective and often have this behavior encouraged by idiot owners so they have a high reputation of biting.
You should insist on a dog crate. Period. Often dogs who are not used to traveling if left alone in the room will scratch the door anxious for the owner.
And no, you should not allow them to be left in the rooms, but the owners who are not responsible WILL leave them alone, so if you have required a crate for checking in with a dog, at least if they are crated they can't create damage.
And don't think the crate is something bad. Dogs are animals that like a cave so when they are properly brought up the crate gives them a sense of security. Ours used to trot into their crates to take a snooze at home all the time.
There's no way to house a cat without a litter box. They may have small travel ones, but that's something you would have to provide and charge them for. Are you ready to remove and dump them? I would not depend on a pet owner to be responsible enough considering the damage from just people. I'm still working on two pillowcases from this weekend that have what looks like black hair dye on them and don't think the stains will come out.
And don't get me wrong - I am a pet lover, my mother used to show dogs and we traveled with them all over when we lived in Europe where they are more pet friendly. But we were considerate pet owners and trained our pets. We went out to dinner every Sunday in Switzerland with two Russian Wolfhounds to our neighborhood white tableclothrestaurant and popped them under the table. They were good because they never received treats when out to dinner.
When shopping and stopping in a coffee house, now that was different. They always got a cookie from the waitress but knew they had to wait until just before leaving...and they loved to go to the hairdresser with my mother!
RIki

Insurance will not allow the top dangerous breeds which I can't recall all of them but they do include Pit Bulls, Rotweilers, German Shephards, usually breeds that are already protective and often have this behavior encouraged by idiot owners so they have a high reputation of biting.
You should insist on a dog crate. Period. Often dogs who are not used to traveling if left alone in the room will scratch the door anxious for the owner.
And no, you should not allow them to be left in the rooms, but the owners who are not responsible WILL leave them alone, so if you have required a crate for checking in with a dog, at least if they are crated they can't create damage.
And don't think the crate is something bad. Dogs are animals that like a cave so when they are properly brought up the crate gives them a sense of security. Ours used to trot into their crates to take a snooze at home all the time.
There's no way to house a cat without a litter box. They may have small travel ones, but that's something you would have to provide and charge them for. Are you ready to remove and dump them? I would not depend on a pet owner to be responsible enough considering the damage from just people. I'm still working on two pillowcases from this weekend that have what looks like black hair dye on them and don't think the stains will come out.
And don't get me wrong - I am a pet lover, my mother used to show dogs and we traveled with them all over when we lived in Europe where they are more pet friendly. But we were considerate pet owners and trained our pets. We went out to dinner every Sunday in Switzerland with two Russian Wolfhounds to our neighborhood white tableclothrestaurant and popped them under the table. They were good because they never received treats when out to dinner.
When shopping and stopping in a coffee house, now that was different. They always got a cookie from the waitress but knew they had to wait until just before leaving...and they loved to go to the hairdresser with my mother!
RIki.
DH built a doghouse for our dog - and it was in the kitchen.dining area of our house. It was just his size and it was his "cave".

RIki.
DH built a doghouse for our dog - and it was in the kitchen.dining area of our house. It was just his size and it was his "cave".
gillumhouse said:
LOL my mother used to have the full sized dog crate in the kitchen and put a washable plastic tablecoth on top so she could use it as an island, but the dogs used to jump up on top and look over our shoulder when we'd be doing the dishes as well as go inside it. I grew up with animal nuts...
RIki

I have found that the pets themselves (dogs in our case), have been...without exception....quite and friendly, well-behaved and have done NO damage in 6 1/2 years.
Any problems that we have had have been with the pet owners. They disregard policies and do whatever they want to do while they are here. The last people I had pissed me off pretty badly. I have, for the time being, stopped accepting pets and am considering what my policy should be. I put a note up for a while that said "Due to repeated policy violations, we no longer accept guest pets".
I also discontinued allowing three persons in my largest guest room. I may let the new owners decide what they want to do with both of these issues, given recent indications.

I have found that the pets themselves (dogs in our case), have been...without exception....quite and friendly, well-behaved and have done NO damage in 6 1/2 years.
Any problems that we have had have been with the pet owners. They disregard policies and do whatever they want to do while they are here. The last people I had pissed me off pretty badly. I have, for the time being, stopped accepting pets and am considering what my policy should be. I put a note up for a while that said "Due to repeated policy violations, we no longer accept guest pets".
I also discontinued allowing three persons in my largest guest room. I may let the new owners decide what they want to do with both of these issues, given recent indications..
I hate single guest adjustments to policies, but it's what we've had to do. We were going great guns with the dog friendly room, not taking cats or other pets, no problems. Then, in a 2 day span we had one guest with a Great Dane they let sleep in the bed with the covers all pulled up (sheets were absolutely covered in dog hair) and the next one let their Golden puppy (about 9 mos old) sleep on the bed quilt. I went to make the bed and had an asthma attack on the spot from just picking up the quilt and getting a face full of dog hair.
Those 2 guests had me stripping the entire room 2 days in a row to wash every article of fabric in the room except the curtains.
Immediately we raised the amount we charge for dogs, brought in new bedding just for pets and a spare quilt for the dog to sleep on, IF the dog HAD to sleep on the furniture.
I do know of other B&B's that discountinued the PO's policy of allowing pets because of gross negligence on the part of those repeat guests.
It's always tough to change policies when you take over a place. We lost a LOT of repeats when we refused to allow guests to use the kitchen.

You have received some good advice here and its wise to have policies in place, but remember that no matter what a guest will promise....once they close the door, they will do what ever they want. I have washable slip covers that I put over the sofa & chair in my pet friendly cottage when a dog is in there. A dog that sleeps on the couch at home doesn't understand why it can't do so here too.

You have received some good advice here and its wise to have policies in place, but remember that no matter what a guest will promise....once they close the door, they will do what ever they want. I have washable slip covers that I put over the sofa & chair in my pet friendly cottage when a dog is in there. A dog that sleeps on the couch at home doesn't understand why it can't do so here too..
I keep forgetting that tip! Every time I see the slipcovers at JCP, I keep thinking I should get them. I don't like the way they look, but they don't have to be on the chairs all the time, just for pets! And it would save SO much detail vacuuming on the chairs.

You have received some good advice here and its wise to have policies in place, but remember that no matter what a guest will promise....once they close the door, they will do what ever they want. I have washable slip covers that I put over the sofa & chair in my pet friendly cottage when a dog is in there. A dog that sleeps on the couch at home doesn't understand why it can't do so here too..
I keep forgetting that tip! Every time I see the slipcovers at JCP, I keep thinking I should get them. I don't like the way they look, but they don't have to be on the chairs all the time, just for pets! And it would save SO much detail vacuuming on the chairs.
"Sure Fit" slipcovers are awesome...I have always hated slipcovers, but use them in our quarters because of the dogs. They stay put using the "tuck once" slipcover grips sold seperately, and they wash and dry quickly. I shake them outside to get the hair off before washing, and so virtually no hair goes through the laundry equipment...which is a first...anything else I ever used carried hair right through, and the dryer lint trap always had to be emptied multiple times. I get them at Overstock...see link above. I LOVE THEM and if I had a chair or sofa in a pet friendly room, I would not hesitate to use them there.

"Sure Fit" slipcovers are awesome...I have always hated slipcovers, but use them in our quarters because of the dogs. They stay put using the "tuck once" slipcover grips sold seperately, and they wash and dry quickly. I shake them outside to get the hair off before washing, and so virtually no hair goes through the laundry equipment...which is a first...anything else I ever used carried hair right through, and the dryer lint trap always had to be emptied multiple times. I get them at Overstock...see link above. I LOVE THEM and if I had a chair or sofa in a pet friendly room, I would not hesitate to use them there.
I even like that print! Might get those for my own chairs (which are green and do not go with my decor any longer).

I also discontinued allowing three persons in my largest guest room. I may let the new owners decide what they want to do with both of these issues, given recent indications..
Little Blue said:
Any problems that we have had have been with the pet owners. They disregard policies and do whatever they want to do while they are here. The last people I had pissed me off pretty badly. I have, for the time being, stopped accepting pets and put a note up for a while that said "Due to repeated policy violations, we no longer accept guest pets".
Very SAME people just emailed for for a reservation next week with the dog. Was able to tell them that we no longer accept pets, but can happily recommend boarding facilities nearby that we ourselves have used. They said they would call another area Inn that is pet-friendly. However, these people couldn't go one night without letting their dog on the bed, so I doubt they're going to be happy letting him sleep in a barn...they're in for a suprise with that phone call.

Little Blue said:
Any problems that we have had have been with the pet owners. They disregard policies and do whatever they want to do while they are here. The last people I had pissed me off pretty badly. I have, for the time being, stopped accepting pets and put a note up for a while that said "Due to repeated policy violations, we no longer accept guest pets".
Very SAME people just emailed for for a reservation next week with the dog. Was able to tell them that we no longer accept pets, but can happily recommend boarding facilities nearby that we ourselves have used. They said they would call another area Inn that is pet-friendly. However, these people couldn't go one night without letting their dog on the bed, so I doubt they're going to be happy letting him sleep in a barn...they're in for a suprise with that phone call.
Interesting that you got to tell them your policy had changed. I usually find that if I change a policy in response to someone making me nuts, they never call again! I'm still waiting for the guests who smoked in their room to try to book again.

Back