How large are your rooms?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wordmule

Reaction score
My husband and I are working to open an inn in a downtown location. We have an offer in on a 2 bedroom home that we want to expand to a total of 5-6 guest rooms, each with their own bath. As we are planning our construction, we're trying to determine what size to make the new rooms.
We plan to add 2-3 standard rooms, and 1 deluxe room. The deluxe room will be larger and have a full luxury tub. We plan to have showers in the standard rooms. In the existing house, the smallest room is 11x12 (132 square feet), which feels on the small side, and the master bedroom is 13X14 (182 sqft) and feels more comfortable.
I'm looking for advice on satisfying room size, bedrooms and bathrooms. I read an article that mentions average hotel room size being 325 sqft -- hopefully they are counting the bathroom too! -- which has me concerned that our rooms are too small. What size is your standard room? What size is your smallest room? How do you personally define a deluxe room?
Thanks very much. I'm enjoying reading the forum and I'm learning a ton!

My smallest room without the bathroom and closet is 15x15 ft. It has a King size bed in it and a sitting area. It is a very comfortable room. Smallest bathroom is about 8.5 ft long by 5.25 ft wide.
Welcome to the forum!!

Two of my rooms have one double bed in each because of configuration that is the biggest that will fit. I am dealing with windows, fireplace (decorative now), closet, dresser.... I have one room that has a queen bed, 2 dressers and nightstands. It is roomy. It has 2 dressers because we found a very nice one with no mirror and then had a rare time of cash infusion that DH squandered part of on a second dresser that has a mirror. The first one now holds the TV. I need to measure them some time.

one is 15.5 X15.5 (not including the bathroom. The bathroom is 10X16)
and one is 15.5 X17
That's all we have ready for now.

Welcome to the site!
Our standard rooms (including bath room) run about 300 sq ft. that is spacious even with a queen bed and seating area and nice size bath. Our large rooms are 450 sq ft with a large bathroom, queen bed, lounging style sofa /bed and spacious closet.
I think each of us would define a deluxe room a little different it could be the size of the bed, the seating area, a large bath with jet tub - it is all up to you. Just remember when you do your website and brochure to provide the details when describing your rooms. This give the potential guest the information they need to decide which room to reserve.

Welcome! This sight is a wonderful help. I have been reading the other innkeepers experiences and advice for years. Make sure you take notes of the ideas you like and will want to incorporate into your B&B. That is what I did, made life a lot easier for opening.
The 2 rooms we opened with last year are housekeeping units with kitchenettes and private ensuites. Our luxury suite Ada-Ben's Suite Retreat is 13x16, plus a 10x10 sitting room and a 6x12 private ensuite with a jacuzzi tub. We just had our first guests for this room arrive tonight, they have booked it for 2 weeks. These will be the first guests we have actually stay in the main part of the house with us. We will see how it works out!
Good luck with all of your plans!
Adabweeks

At a Bed and Breakfast people can spend time in other areas, porch, living room, family room, yard, etc. Most hotels
do not have areas like this. Therefore I do not feel that the actual bedroom needs to be as big.

I have never measured the rooms! But I had them measured for carpet. Mostly they are 13x15.
The biggest room is 20x24, including the bathroom space.

At a Bed and Breakfast people can spend time in other areas, porch, living room, family room, yard, etc. Most hotels
do not have areas like this. Therefore I do not feel that the actual bedroom needs to be as big..
1linda said:
do not have areas like this. Therefore I do not feel that the actual bedroom needs to be as big.
Excellent point! Unless you are in say Savannah where they turn every inch of the place into a guest room. Dining room, parlor, most of us create other spaces for our guests, porches, gardens, sitting areas.

You all have been really great to provide such helpful information. Thank you! Based on your input, I'm thinking we need to build our new rooms to be at least 13x15. Our architect was previously recommending 12x12 -- the information you've provided may have prevented us from making a very costly mistake. Thank you!

One thing you should consider before finalizing your plans is to make sure you are not over building for the neighborhood. You must consider resale value even if you 'plan to never move'.
You also should make sure you will be able to get a license to opporate a B&B in that location BEFORE you purchase. Unless you would be happy in the house even if you could not have a B&B.

Back