How long did it take them?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
OK, we installed the new lock for the hall bathroom maybe 4-6 weeks ago. (Who remembers!) Anyway, this weekend a guest left with the key. She had 'locked' the door (ie- the latch was out but the door was open) so the door could not be closed. We have a spare key, but only one. Hubs went to the store to get a new key made, no luck. So he went to HD and bought the same lock (actually not caring about the lock, but he got duplicate keys from that lockset that match the ones we need).
So, how long did it take the other guests to realize the bathroom door wasn't locked and to go in and take all of the towels? About an hour.
I was sitting in my office and heard guests talking outside about the 'cute little bathroom in the hall' and I ran. What the hell. The door is closed, it says 'private' and all the towels are gone. Can't leave anything alone for a minute.
I had the housekeeper look for the towels this morning. Found them exactly where I thought they would be. Long time repeat guest. She KNOWS she can ask me for anything. I bet she did this last year, too, so just did it again. Makes me crazy. But, now I know for NEXT year.

PUt up a new sign "OUT OF ORDER" and tell the folks who's bathroom it is...that it is to keep others out:)

PUt up a new sign "OUT OF ORDER" and tell the folks who's bathroom it is...that it is to keep others out:).
It wouldn't have stopped her from grabbing all the towels!
Maybe you need to put more towels in your guest baths? Just a thought....
Samster said:
No room. We have as many towels in the bathrooms as will fit. (You guys really have to come here to see how small the bathrooms are!) Anyway, she 'borrowed' them because she brought her son back here with her (he was not staying with us) and he took a shower. Not going to use any of the 6 sets of towels in their 2 bathrooms (there are 2 bathrooms in the suite) so he (or she) just grabbed them out of the other guests' bathroom.

PUt up a new sign "OUT OF ORDER" and tell the folks who's bathroom it is...that it is to keep others out:).
Samster said:
No room. We have as many towels in the bathrooms as will fit. (You guys really have to come here to see how small the bathrooms are!) Anyway, she 'borrowed' them because she brought her son back here with her (he was not staying with us) and he took a shower. Not going to use any of the 6 sets of towels in their 2 bathrooms (there are 2 bathrooms in the suite) so he (or she) just grabbed them out of the other guests' bathroom.
Now, that's cheeky...letting non-guests take a shower and taking towels from another guest bath. And here I was willing to give the guest the benefit of the doubt. grrrrrrrrr....
angry_smile.gif

Samster said:
Now, that's cheeky...letting non-guests take a shower and taking towels from another guest bath. And here I was willing to give the guest the benefit of the doubt. grrrrrrrrr....
angry_smile.gif

Samster said:
angry_smile.gif
They all do this every year. And I should have remembered it from last year.

Samster said:
angry_smile.gif

Samster said:
angry_smile.gif
If they do it every year and you allow it...why wouldn't she continue. I would just CRAM her bathroom full of towels ahead of time...pile them on the bed or on a chair..and tell her, " I know you like having alot of towels so I wanted to be sure you had plenty!" Gheez..the nerve. She probably thinks because she is a regular she can do as she pleases because she hasn't been told otherwise??????Or have you just told her to ask if she needs more???

Samster said:
angry_smile.gif

Samster said:
angry_smile.gif
You could stop this very easily. Besides keeping doors locked, CHARGE THEM for the extra person using the room! Though miniscule, the costs for water and laundry to you are very real. And don't forget the additional liability is also very real should the "unexpected guest" slip in the shower and injure themselves.

Samster said:
angry_smile.gif

Samster said:
angry_smile.gif
If they do it every year and you allow it...why wouldn't she continue. I would just CRAM her bathroom full of towels ahead of time...pile them on the bed or on a chair..and tell her, " I know you like having alot of towels so I wanted to be sure you had plenty!" Gheez..the nerve. She probably thinks because she is a regular she can do as she pleases because she hasn't been told otherwise??????Or have you just told her to ask if she needs more???
I don't allow it per se, I just forgot she did it. Altho, last year she may have asked for the towels. Last year was just sooooo long ago! No, wait, last year she had the bathroom in the hall. I just know for sure that the kid showers here every summer. (Perhaps the only shower he takes all summer.
wink_smile.gif
)
I made a note for next year...

Update on the actual issue about the key...we found a place to buy the keys. Keys are $3/each. Shipping is approx $5. Handling fee is $3. We've decided to keep the replacement LOCKSET we bought so we have the spare keys AND spare parts for the same amount of money. Yeesh.

Update on the actual issue about the key...we found a place to buy the keys. Keys are $3/each. Shipping is approx $5. Handling fee is $3. We've decided to keep the replacement LOCKSET we bought so we have the spare keys AND spare parts for the same amount of money. Yeesh..
Now...just keep that door LOCKED!

Update on the actual issue about the key...we found a place to buy the keys. Keys are $3/each. Shipping is approx $5. Handling fee is $3. We've decided to keep the replacement LOCKSET we bought so we have the spare keys AND spare parts for the same amount of money. Yeesh..
Now...just keep that door LOCKED!
It's locked right now! Well, I say that. I should go check...the door is closed but I didn't check if it was locked.

Back