How long do you keep sealed 4-cup coffee packs?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
We have individual 4-cup coffee makers in our rooms. With each coffee maker we provide one packet of regular coffee and one packet of decaf. I've gone through several cases of the regular coffee, so it is relatively fresh. However, I have a LOT of the decaf packages because it is seldom used.
1. Does anyone know what the shelf life is of these sealed 4-cup packets?
2. If you have a similar setup, do you experience the same disparity between regular and decaf?
I've thought about eliminating the decaf altogether, but I'm concerned about guests' perception and convenience. Any thoughts?

Amazingly enough, we go thru a LOT of decaf, especially in the evenings. If that is not your experience, I would keep a few of them on hand, in each room, not reorder and give the rest of it to a homeless shelter or some other charity.
I know our demographic is very different in their coffee habits because we make a full pot of decaf every day and SOMEONE drinks it. Not all of it and not as much as the regular, but some mornings the reg sits and I'm making seconds on the decaf.
We also get a lot of 'half-cafs' who mix the 2.
I don't know how long they stay fresh, but it's longer than the pkg would indicate. I'd bet it's years.

Do you have refrigerators in the room? They will stay fresh longer in there.

I have Gevalia coffee in the half pound boxes that I am trying to get rid since terminating membership.....1.5 years ago.......Some one keeps buying the large containers of Folgers, Chock full O nuts or Maxwell House and openning them before I can get through the gevalia
When I do get to use a gevalia......it's been fine.......as long as it is still vacumm packed...............if for some reason the package is not..........the coffee has gone bad...........used one package that the foil pack was no longer vacumm packed..........it was awefull.........never knew by smelling it, only by drinking it.

[FONT= 'Lucida Grande']Remember~Great Coffee is a Destination & Great Places Deserve Great Coffee[/FONT]

I tossed some two-year old packs, reserving only enough until I get their replacements. I think the new packets will be stored in the freezer and only taken out as needed.
I don't know if it's health conciousness or because of the East Texas heat and humidity, but no one seems to drink decaf.

I tossed some two-year old packs, reserving only enough until I get their replacements. I think the new packets will be stored in the freezer and only taken out as needed.
I don't know if it's health conciousness or because of the East Texas heat and humidity, but no one seems to drink decaf..
Yep, Gulf Coast Texas here...maybe one out of twenty drinks decaf.

maybe you could work out a trade with someone decaf for high test ...

Again, this may be regional, but we have taken to serving Community Coffee - Between Roast. It's a full bodied coffee, but not over powering or bitter. The price point is good too. It's very good black, and really yummy with cream and sugar. I believe it's produced in Louisiana and may be stronger than brands like Folgers or Maxwell House. My guests seem to prefer the stronger coffees.
I'm curious what brand of coffee everyone else uses AND if it is indeed a regional thing. I ask this because I know tea is bigger in some parts of the country than here and thought coffee choices might be too.

Again, this may be regional, but we have taken to serving Community Coffee - Between Roast. It's a full bodied coffee, but not over powering or bitter. The price point is good too. It's very good black, and really yummy with cream and sugar. I believe it's produced in Louisiana and may be stronger than brands like Folgers or Maxwell House. My guests seem to prefer the stronger coffees.
I'm curious what brand of coffee everyone else uses AND if it is indeed a regional thing. I ask this because I know tea is bigger in some parts of the country than here and thought coffee choices might be too..
We've gone back and forth on this so many times here. This coffee, that coffee, whatever the store has on sale coffee. We have finally settled on what is probably a Northeast coffee- 8 O'Clock. It was the house coffee of the former A&P shops. Coffee is one of those things we will never be able to please everyone on. We don't get 'locals' here so we try to please the tastes of the guests.
Lots of tea drinkers. Lots of decaf, too.
The other thing is pillows. There are not enough options in the world to make every guest happy about their pillow!

I am supposed to be bringing art supplies from the carto our room. I sneaked into the biz center to check e-mail - it is soooo slow I thought I was on dial-up. Gave up and came in to see what is up.
I did not answer before because I do not use those packages. I roast the green coffee beans the night before I serve them - the guest chooses the country of origin. I had my first request for decafe Friday - he wanted decafe and she wanted regular and both wanted Costa Rica. Decafe is VERY rare here also.
Had best go get the art stuff. it is his b'day (I am now married to a VERY OLD man - 70) which is why he was allowed to come with.

I am supposed to be bringing art supplies from the carto our room. I sneaked into the biz center to check e-mail - it is soooo slow I thought I was on dial-up. Gave up and came in to see what is up.
I did not answer before because I do not use those packages. I roast the green coffee beans the night before I serve them - the guest chooses the country of origin. I had my first request for decafe Friday - he wanted decafe and she wanted regular and both wanted Costa Rica. Decafe is VERY rare here also.
Had best go get the art stuff. it is his b'day (I am now married to a VERY OLD man - 70) which is why he was allowed to come with..
gillumhouse said:
I am now married to a VERY OLD man - 70
Age is relative. We're all going to be 70 one day.......soon.

We've noticed that the amount of coffee that goes into the basket has gone up. It used to be 1/3 cup for a pot, maybe 3 years ago. Now, it's a HEAPING 1/3 of a cup for a pot, and some people aren't happy with that. Same coffee from the same grinder. It's a house specialty roast and grind. But, IMHO, Fivebucks ruined coffee...

We've noticed that the amount of coffee that goes into the basket has gone up. It used to be 1/3 cup for a pot, maybe 3 years ago. Now, it's a HEAPING 1/3 of a cup for a pot, and some people aren't happy with that. Same coffee from the same grinder. It's a house specialty roast and grind. But, IMHO, Fivebucks ruined coffee....
We have one of those Keurigs and every last Italian guest has asked if it's ok to set the cup size for 6 ozs. I don't think it was strong enough even then.

Great, this thread was on top for me to add a comment.
In seven years this is a first...
I go to refill the coffee carafe, in the kitchen...
As it starts to come toward the top I notice something...CREAM. They put cream in the whole blasted carafe! These Stepfords are STILL Stepfords...not sure if there will be a transformation.

As it starts to come toward the top I notice something...CREAM. They put cream in the whole blasted carafe! These Stepfords are STILL Stepfords...not sure if there will be a transformation..
That is just rude.

Had best go get the art stuff. it is his b'day (I am now married to a VERY OLD man - 70) which is why he was allowed to come with..
gillumhouse said:
I am now married to a VERY OLD man - 70
Age is relative. We're all going to be 70 one day.......soon.
I still have 5 years to get "roast & toast" first. Although I am missing the signals, I will soon have passed the age of early onset of the Big A - so maybe that won't be so bad. My kids will be the judges - whether I am a PITA or not (I sincerely hope not - but they WILL tell me!).

As it starts to come toward the top I notice something...CREAM. They put cream in the whole blasted carafe! These Stepfords are STILL Stepfords...not sure if there will be a transformation..
WHO does something like that? That is so odd.....and rude!

Back