How long does it take you to flip a room?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so it sounds like I'm about spot on. It takes me about 45 minutes to an hour and a half depending on the size of the room and how the guests left it. My DH works a lot of hours at our resturant and so I do pretty much everything for the b&b by myself. He seems to think it should take 15 minutes to flip a room. Now I need to make a list of everything that I do when I flip a room so when he does randomly need to help I know he's not skipping things!.
I hate to say it but there is a certain kind of guy who wouldn't care what a hotel room looked like so it can be VERY hard to understand WHY it takes so long because 'all you're doing' is making a bed and wiping off the sink.
'Here look, watch me, I'll show you how to do it.'
Which you might want to ask him to do for you. 'OK, maybe I am taking too long, show me how you would do it.' Because everyone knows we innkeepers overthink this stuff.
Let him show you how he would do it. Stand out of his way. Don't say anything. Just let him show you. Maybe he's the master of efficiency and you can video him and we'll all learn something.
I'll give him credit, he is a master of efficency and if we had actual time together I'm sure he could help me get better organized and get it done quicker...still don't think it could be done *right* in 15 minutes. He is also the type of guy who isn't going to notice the detail stuff.
If only he wasn't working 80 hours a week, we could have time to learn from each other. *le sigh*
Miss O'Hara said:
I'll give him credit, he is a master of efficency and if we had actual time together I'm sure he could help me get better organized and get it done quicker...still don't think it could be done *right* in 15 minutes. He is also the type of guy who isn't going to notice the detail stuff.
If only he wasn't working 80 hours a week, we could have time to learn from each other. *le sigh*
I AM THE MASTER OF EFFICIENCY.
I am completely organized. I have been cleaning these rooms for 9 years.
There is no way to clean a room properly in 15 minutes. You can quote me on that and tell him.

Bless your heart.
If you have two people flipping a room, then it can be done lickety split (I thought I would say that today, it feels like a lickety split day!)
It takes a decent hour to clean and make up a room, here. We have wood floors, and victorian woodwork that is a dust nightmare. If we had basic rooms with beds, nightstands and a chair it would be much quicker! This is not a deep clean either, just a flip..
Timely topic. I was thinking I must be too slow, takes me almost an hour. Yesterday I could not get the bedspreads right on the first throw for love nor money. Some days they whip right in to place. Bad bed day.
Also suffering from summer bedspread pillow pantyline, if the cases are not just right.
Is there a trick to get pillow protectors and cases on that both stay smooth?

Bless your heart.
If you have two people flipping a room, then it can be done lickety split (I thought I would say that today, it feels like a lickety split day!)
It takes a decent hour to clean and make up a room, here. We have wood floors, and victorian woodwork that is a dust nightmare. If we had basic rooms with beds, nightstands and a chair it would be much quicker! This is not a deep clean either, just a flip..
Timely topic. I was thinking I must be too slow, takes me almost an hour. Yesterday I could not get the bedspreads right on the first throw for love nor money. Some days they whip right in to place. Bad bed day.
Also suffering from summer bedspread pillow pantyline, if the cases are not just right.
white pine said:
No. They all have to fit the pillow perfectly! Not every pillow is the same size so I usually end up with wrinkly pillow protectors even if the pillowcase is fine.
Here's how I handle 'excess' pillowcase- insert pillow. Hold 2 corners of the pillowcase on the horizontal, shake pillow to one side of the pillowcase. You now have all of the excess pillowcase on the one edge. Place pillow on the bed with the excess facing the headboard. ROLL the pillowcase into a standing position and all of the excess will be tucked in the back.

Bless your heart.
white pine said:
No. They all have to fit the pillow perfectly! Not every pillow is the same size so I usually end up with wrinkly pillow protectors even if the pillowcase is fine.
Here's how I handle 'excess' pillowcase- insert pillow. Hold 2 corners of the pillowcase on the horizontal, shake pillow to one side of the pillowcase. You now have all of the excess pillowcase on the one edge. Place pillow on the bed with the excess facing the headboard. ROLL the pillowcase into a standing position and all of the excess will be tucked in the back.
Yes, I have pillows of various sizes even tho they are "standard". I have figured out the excess pillowcase problem, but seems the protector gets wrinkled too when it gets in the case. I grab corners and shake it, but seems I get wrinkles no matter what I do. Unfortunately, my spreads are lightweight and these will show! ARGH. Thanks for the ideas, will try shaking the protectors.

Thanks for the ideas, will try shaking the protectors.
These are some of the things I love about this forum. The one liners. If you didn't know what this conversation was about, you might wonder!
"SHAKING THE PROTECTORS"

Ok so it sounds like I'm about spot on. It takes me about 45 minutes to an hour and a half depending on the size of the room and how the guests left it. My DH works a lot of hours at our resturant and so I do pretty much everything for the b&b by myself. He seems to think it should take 15 minutes to flip a room. Now I need to make a list of everything that I do when I flip a room so when he does randomly need to help I know he's not skipping things!.
No way it can be done in 15 minutes, even a very "cozy" guest room, on your own. You need that time at least to do the bathroom!
It took me between 45 minutes to 90 minutes (we had a couple of 2 room suites and some large rooms) and that was working at top notch speed to get everything done before check-ins. This is so variable depending on what you have in the rooms, too. Like fridges that need to be wiped out, coffeemakers, and on and on. Not to mention giant tubs and big showers.
My dh never got it either and he was the one who cleaned the big jetted tubs here on the weekends. I honestly don't know why he didn't get it...he just didn't. One of the reasons why we no longer have a B&B....

Bless your heart.
white pine said:
Yes, I have pillows of various sizes even tho they are "standard". I have figured out the excess pillowcase problem, but seems the protector gets wrinkled too when it gets in the case. I grab corners and shake it, but seems I get wrinkles no matter what I do. Unfortunately, my spreads are lightweight and these will show! ARGH. Thanks for the ideas, will try shaking the protectors.
there is - the trick is to fold the pillow in half (ie v shape) while its pinched together push to the bottom of the pillow case and it will twang out and get the straight pillow and pillow protector smooth!

I'm so glad to hear that everyone's taking 45-60 minutes to flip a room. We, too, thought we were doing something wrong. But, there is just SO MUCH to do!
We had a lady stay with us that manages a few budget hotels. She said they only give their housekeepers 15 minutes per room.
whattha.gif
Couldn't believe it! And they get the dirtiest, nastiest guests... yuck.
Here's a few questions:
  • How do you clean your bath/shower if someone has definitely taken a shower and it's not obviously gross. Do you scrub top to bottom each time, do you just rinse, do you spray with cleaner & rinse?
  • Do you mop your bathroom floor after every guest?
  • How often do you wash curtains, bedspreads, bathroom rugs, etc?

I'm so glad to hear that everyone's taking 45-60 minutes to flip a room. We, too, thought we were doing something wrong. But, there is just SO MUCH to do!
We had a lady stay with us that manages a few budget hotels. She said they only give their housekeepers 15 minutes per room.
whattha.gif
Here's a few questions:
  • How do you clean your bath/shower if someone has definitely taken a shower and it's not obviously gross. Do you scrub top to bottom each time, do you just rinse, do you spray with cleaner & rinse?
Here's a few questions:
I have a hospital grade germ-killing liquid cleaner that I have in a spray bottle in each bathroom. I spray the entire stall, tub, & sink, then scrub brush all of them. The shower has a "personal showerhead" in addition to the regular one and the tub has a "hand-held" shower so those tow items get hosed down rinsed and the sink I run the water and rinse.
YES I also change the shower curtain liner
As needed

something i love love love are the hookless shower curtains. i watched a video at first because i didn't get it. and wow. what a time saver! i would whip the shower curtain down, spray down the shower (and tub if there was one), come back and clean it, then hang the clean one. why? because i would see hairs, etc. clinging to the used shower curtain. ick.
if you've never seen them, just 'google' it.

whattha.gif
Here's a few questions:
K9 said:
Here's a few questions:
  • How do you clean your bath/shower if someone has definitely taken a shower and it's not obviously gross. Do you scrub top to bottom each time, do you just rinse, do you spray with cleaner & rinse? I scrub from top to bottom using Soft Scrub with lemon and a special sponge that has an extendable wand. I get a good lather up on the walls and then rinse off and dry.
  • Do you mop your bathroom floor after every guest? I don't use a mop because they don't get all the hairs and stuff off the floor. I take my rag that I wipe the shower dry with and use that to wipe down the floors. I let the floor dry and then I vacuum the floor and use the want attachement around all the edges and around the toilet to get any stray hairs.
  • How often do you wash curtains, bedspreads, bathroom rugs, etc? I was curtains as needed, bathroom rugs after each guest checks out and quilts and comforters when needed.
I also have a couple rooms with wood floors and I take the vacuum wand and clean under the bed after each check out. Otherwise there will be a build up of dust bunnies.

whattha.gif
Here's a few questions:
Showers got totally scrubbed between guests. Showers got sprayed if needed and rinsed during a guest stay, otherwise wiped out and dried daily.
Floors got totally mopped between guests; swiffered or vacuumed daily with spills wiped up & totally cleaned around the toilet area.
Curtains and valances got washed or dry cleaned 2x/year or as needed, except bathroom curtains were laundered once/month. Bed coverings and blankets were changed often (sometimes between guests depending on the length of their stay), pillow protectors were changed between guests. We changed washable bathroom rugs between guests and every other day during a guest stay.

something i love love love are the hookless shower curtains. i watched a video at first because i didn't get it. and wow. what a time saver! i would whip the shower curtain down, spray down the shower (and tub if there was one), come back and clean it, then hang the clean one. why? because i would see hairs, etc. clinging to the used shower curtain. ick.
if you've never seen them, just 'google' it..
I like the hookless shower curtains, but I've been seeing these a lot too which I like a lot. They let more light in the shower and the liners come off so easily to launder frequently!

whattha.gif
Here's a few questions:
K9 said:
Here's a few questions:
  • How do you clean your bath/shower if someone has definitely taken a shower and it's not obviously gross. Do you scrub top to bottom each time, do you just rinse, do you spray with cleaner & rinse? Scrub top to bottom no matter how clean the guests left it. (Forgot to add we do this every day, not just on check out.)
  • Do you mop your bathroom floor after every guest? We mop the floor on hands and knees EVERY day.
  • How often do you wash curtains, bedspreads, bathroom rugs, etc? Bath rugs after every guest (shake out while the same guest is in the room). Curtains (do you mean shower or bedroom?)- we do room curtains 2x/year. We don't have shower curtains. Bedspreads every 2 weeks. Ditto blankets. Ditto mattress pads and pillow protectors.

I like the hookless shower curtains, but I've been seeing these a lot too which I like a lot. They let more light in the shower and the liners come off so easily to launder frequently!
$50 FOR A SHOWER CURTIN??? NO WAY!

Thanks for the ideas, will try shaking the protectors.
These are some of the things I love about this forum. The one liners. If you didn't know what this conversation was about, you might wonder!
"SHAKING THE PROTECTORS".
Hahahahah ! Now that was my chuckle of the morning. Thanks !!!

nice. my shower curtains were plain white water repellent cloth-like in all the rooms ... i bought them in bulk for $12 each (back in the dark ages!) and they went through the washing machine, then i put them in the dryer for about 5 minutes on low ... done.

Well, maybe you think they're expensive but they are high quality and a huge timesaver on the cleaning side. Remember, it includes the liner. As a guest, I totally LOVE them (we also had them in the bathroom on our cruise ship last Summer). They're especially nice in tight shower spaces. They let in light, they're cloth (so you don't have that icky plastic liner grabbing you), and they repel water really well. Use a curved rod and have a nice shower head and you've provided a really good shower experience for the guest.
My shower curtains plus high quality cloth liners here cost an average of about $40 each, so not much more for these...

Well, maybe you think they're expensive but they are high quality and a huge timesaver on the cleaning side. Remember, it includes the liner. As a guest, I totally LOVE them (we also had them in the bathroom on our cruise ship last Summer). They're especially nice in tight shower spaces. They let in light, they're cloth (so you don't have that icky plastic liner grabbing you), and they repel water really well. Use a curved rod and have a nice shower head and you've provided a really good shower experience for the guest.
My shower curtains plus high quality cloth liners here cost an average of about $40 each, so not much more for these...
I do have the shower curtain hooks - fancy pretty ones - and i have a white vinyl shower curtain - $10 BUT I also have on those hooks on the guest side of that vinyl a nylon shower curtain liner - $10. It takes me 5 minutes to take down and put back up with the new liner with each guest. My showers have lights in the ceiling of each shower so there is plenty of light. The liners go in the wash with the sheets or the towels.

I hate to say it but there is a certain kind of guy who wouldn't care what a hotel room looked like so it can be VERY hard to understand WHY it takes so long because 'all you're doing' is making a bed and wiping off the sink.
'Here look, watch me, I'll show you how to do it.'
Which you might want to ask him to do for you. 'OK, maybe I am taking too long, show me how you would do it.' Because everyone knows we innkeepers overthink this stuff.
Let him show you how he would do it. Stand out of his way. Don't say anything. Just let him show you. Maybe he's the master of efficiency and you can video him and we'll all learn something.
Miss O'Hara said:
There is no way to clean a room properly in 15 minutes. You can quote me on that and tell him.
Joey Bloggs said:
Miss O'Hara said:
I am so happy I don't work at the hotel anymore. It really bothered me that they expected the housekeepers to clean rooms in under 30 min's.

Back