How long does it take you to flip a room?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss O'Hara

Reaction score
On average how long does it take you per room to get it completly ready for the next guests? I'll explain the reason for my question after I get a few responses. I will say someone doesn't quite understand what I do all day.

Bless your heart.
If you have two people flipping a room, then it can be done lickety split (I thought I would say that today, it feels like a lickety split day!)
It takes a decent hour to clean and make up a room, here. We have wood floors, and victorian woodwork that is a dust nightmare. If we had basic rooms with beds, nightstands and a chair it would be much quicker! This is not a deep clean either, just a flip.

Guest Room 50 min., 2br Inn Suite 1hr.45.min., Cottage 1hr.15 min.,this is at speed cleaning pace
tounge_smile.gif

How many people are doing this? If 1 person for an average size room it's about 35 minutes for the first one and about 50 minutes for the last one (we get tired!) If it's 2 people we can do a full room in 20 minutes.
Then again, that's just the room. It doesn't include laundry time. Speaking of which...

It was just me and I usually did each room in about an hour. I did everything. Oh..husband did the laundry :)

Depends on how the departing guest left it. I would say it takes DH about 30-45 minutes on cleaning. I remake the beds, which doesn't take much time. If there is more to just vacuuming...like spot cleaning carpet....or something extra like that, well, then, it depends on the problem that has to be fixed.

Agree with comment about there not being any 'extra' work due to guests' messiness. That adds time.

Our small suite takes 1 hour, the large suite with ornate woodwork, mahogony furniture, sitting room, and large bath takes 1 1/2 hours and the cottage takes 2 hours to flip, including dusting, windex all finger prints, etc. When we have a triple change in the summer DH does most of the vacuuming and hauling, while I do the bed, dusting, cleaning and white-glove work. We start at 10 am if we are lucky. If guests have all used beach towels and bathrobes, DH starts greeting at 3 pm while I finish the laundry aroumd 4 pm. A triple change makes for a long day for sure and one that I try not to schedule if possible. Maybe I'm just getting old and slow LOL, but there is no way I would want to change over 6 rooms unless they were just small rooms with bathroom.

It's approximately 1 hour per room if doing it alone. That doesn't include the time it takes to wash & dry the laundry. I hate doing it alone. DH does the beds, the laundry and vacuuming, I take care of the double tubs, bathroom, dusting, finishing touches.

You all live the life of riley, and I am going to say it right now.
Yeah I laugh at myself at times I am like my dog going round and round and round to lie down, when I make a bed. Certain beds, some require that round and round tradition. If someone were watching they would crack up. Not all beds, only a couple, drives me insane.

i would say 45 minutes to an hour on my own depending on size of room
but it's hard to calculate
i used to go from room to room pulling sheets and pillowcases, towels and robes to get them all down to the laundry
then i'd go back to clean bathrooms
wash all bathroom floors
then leaving them to dry, i'd haul out the vacume and go from room to room
etc.

On the chamber maid's own a service is about 30 mins and a change is 45 however when its busy DH and I help and strip off the rooms and set them up ie put in all the sheets and towels and bring out the rubbish and open the windows. We also bring all the sheets down for laundry which saves time and keeps the corridors tidy. We have 3 floors with rooms on so it helps to keep things on every floor so you arn't running up and down for tea spoons and stuff.

On the chamber maid's own a service is about 30 mins and a change is 45 however when its busy DH and I help and strip off the rooms and set them up ie put in all the sheets and towels and bring out the rubbish and open the windows. We also bring all the sheets down for laundry which saves time and keeps the corridors tidy. We have 3 floors with rooms on so it helps to keep things on every floor so you arn't running up and down for tea spoons and stuff..
We were doing this ('blazing a trail' by stripping the beds, bringing in the new linens and sorting the windows) but have found our new housekeeper can keep up pretty well on her own. I do have to check her work but she's getting the rooms cleaned on her own now. So, 2 days/week (her days off) we do all the rooms. That gives us a chance to examine everything closely to make sure it's still ok.

Miss O'Hara said:
On average how long does it take you per room to get it completly ready for the next guests? I'll explain the reason for my question after I get a few responses. I will say someone doesn't quite understand what I do all day.
so ... explain? you know darn well most innkeepers sit around, enjoying the scenery, chatting with guests all day and night.
wink_smile.gif

Ok so it sounds like I'm about spot on. It takes me about 45 minutes to an hour and a half depending on the size of the room and how the guests left it. My DH works a lot of hours at our resturant and so I do pretty much everything for the b&b by myself. He seems to think it should take 15 minutes to flip a room. Now I need to make a list of everything that I do when I flip a room so when he does randomly need to help I know he's not skipping things!

Ok so it sounds like I'm about spot on. It takes me about 45 minutes to an hour and a half depending on the size of the room and how the guests left it. My DH works a lot of hours at our resturant and so I do pretty much everything for the b&b by myself. He seems to think it should take 15 minutes to flip a room. Now I need to make a list of everything that I do when I flip a room so when he does randomly need to help I know he's not skipping things!.
Miss O'Hara said:
Ok so it sounds like I'm about spot on. It takes me about 45 minutes to an hour and a half depending on the size of the room and how the guests left it. My DH works a lot of hours at our resturant and so I do pretty much everything for the b&b by myself. He seems to think it should take 15 minutes to flip a room. Now I need to make a list of everything that I do when I flip a room so when he does randomly need to help I know he's not skipping things!
after you make your list, let him flip the rooms so he can see just how long it takes.
learning by doing.
of course, he can say 'you don't need to do this, you don't need to do that.'
the owner where i was (she who shall remain nameless) used to go round and round about this. once when she stayed in a guest room, even told me 'you don't need to change the sheets, it was just me that slept here'. good grief!
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

the forum here was outraged.

Ok so it sounds like I'm about spot on. It takes me about 45 minutes to an hour and a half depending on the size of the room and how the guests left it. My DH works a lot of hours at our resturant and so I do pretty much everything for the b&b by myself. He seems to think it should take 15 minutes to flip a room. Now I need to make a list of everything that I do when I flip a room so when he does randomly need to help I know he's not skipping things!.
I hate to say it but there is a certain kind of guy who wouldn't care what a hotel room looked like so it can be VERY hard to understand WHY it takes so long because 'all you're doing' is making a bed and wiping off the sink.
'Here look, watch me, I'll show you how to do it.'
Which you might want to ask him to do for you. 'OK, maybe I am taking too long, show me how you would do it.' Because everyone knows we innkeepers overthink this stuff.
Let him show you how he would do it. Stand out of his way. Don't say anything. Just let him show you. Maybe he's the master of efficiency and you can video him and we'll all learn something.

I hate to say it but there is a certain kind of guy who wouldn't care what a hotel room looked like so it can be VERY hard to understand WHY it takes so long because 'all you're doing' is making a bed and wiping off the sink.
Which you might want to ask him to do for you. 'OK, maybe I am taking too long, show me how you would do it.' Because everyone knows we innkeepers overthink this stuff.
Let him show you how he would do it. Stand out of his way. Don't say anything. Just let him show you. Maybe he's the master of efficiency and you can video him and we'll all learn something.
I'll give him credit, he is a master of efficency and if we had actual time together I'm sure he could help me get better organized and get it done quicker...still don't think it could be done *right* in 15 minutes. He is also the type of guy who isn't going to notice the detail stuff.
If only he wasn't working 80 hours a week, we could have time to learn from each other. *le sigh*

I'll give him credit, he is a master of efficency and if we had actual time together I'm sure he could help me get better organized and get it done quicker...still don't think it could be done *right* in 15 minutes. He is also the type of guy who isn't going to notice the detail stuff.
If only he wasn't working 80 hours a week, we could have time to learn from each other. *le sigh*
Thing is though there are things that perhaps don't need doing every day ie does every picture need dusting every day? however if you don't do them regularly then there will be a build up.
Plus - you can make a bed very quickly but it will look like it!

Miss O'Hara said:
after you make your list, let him flip the rooms so he can see just how long it takes.
learning by doing.
the owner where i was (she who shall remain nameless) used to go round and round about this. once when she stayed in a guest room, even told me 'you don't need to change the sheets, it was just me that slept here'. good grief!

seashanty said:
Miss O'Hara said:
learning by doing.

I was going to suggest the same thing, let him clean the room and you can document as he goes all the steps. Showing him what to do. He would find out quickly!

Back