How low do you go?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Caller just asked for a room with fireplace for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day for $75/night. A) no fireplace rooms open for both nights; B) I think that is waaaaay too low a price, especially for a holiday.
I referred her to a place that has fireplaces and then told her that her price point would be served at a Super 8 for sure, but to get the full amenities of B&B, she was going to have change her price point.
I think she was surprised I wouldn't come down. She kept saying, 'So, there's no way we can work this out?'
How low would you have gone?

Not even a million bucks would let someone in these rooms on Christmas. To quote a famous quote "Sorry, no room at the inn"

Since you already have a few rooms booked, I might have discounted but no more than twenty bucks a night. None of the cheapie hotels have fireplace rooms, I wager.
I have noticed that a nearby inn has lowered rates dramatically, down about 30% from previous months. I don't know if that's a sign of things to come.

Since you already have a few rooms booked, I might have discounted but no more than twenty bucks a night. None of the cheapie hotels have fireplace rooms, I wager.
I have noticed that a nearby inn has lowered rates dramatically, down about 30% from previous months. I don't know if that's a sign of things to come..
One of my bookings for Christmas came last year for New Year's. He's paying less this year than last year for the same room. I have already discounted my rooms as much as I am willing to go.
I'd be interested to know where she ends up.

We rent on Christmas, they are usually neighbors' family so they are up and gone on Christmas morning... Of course, I do not have small children or grands at this time.
Now, how low would I go? That would depend...on how hungry I am and how much it costs just to have that room occupied. I never go lower than 10% usually during Christmas, even at this late date. It costs a lot to heat a room, plan additional meals and boy I would not want to be at the grocery store today or tomorrow.

I have noticed that a nearby inn has lowered rates dramatically, down about 30% from previous months. I don't know if that's a sign of things to come..
I rent rooms for Christmas but usually they are familys of some of our neighbors so they are up and gone after breakfast on Christmas morning. I do not have Christmas check-ins except a couple of sisters that have been coming here for years. They book the same room every year and are some of our easiest guests. We do not have young children or grands so no competing commitments for early mornings - I can be in the Kitchen cooking breakfast.
How low would I go? I usually will only go down 10% during Christmas as this is usually a fairly decent period for down here. But it would depend on how hungry I am and costs to have the room in use. Heat is expensive (especially up your way) and if I had to go to the grocery in order to feed the additional people, I would most likely decline. I would not be caught dead in the grocery for the next couple of days.
Muirford wrote: "....noticed that a nearby inn has lowered rates dramatically, down about 30% from previous months. I don't know if that's a sign of things to come."
Well I have read 2 industry forecast reports for 2009 which do not sound promising for the hospitality industry. Below is an excerpt from an article from Pricewaterhouse Coopers LLC :
"According to the PwC forecast, 2008 RevPAR will decrease by 0.8 percent, primarily due to a 3.7 percent decrease in occupancy, the highest annual decrease in occupancy since 2001. In 2009, demand is forecast to decrease by 2.0 percent, which, when coupled with a 1.6 percent increase in supply, is expected to further reduce occupancy to 58.6 percent, the lowest since 1971."
While this is written for the hotel industry, it is important for us too.

We had a caller want a room for $100 on Sunday. Caller said that our place sounded really nice on TripAdvisor. They were just looking for a clean bed for the night. My dh said, "I can give you the number for a motel nearby. We don't discount our rooms that much." It's not worth it to crank up the heat and go to the trouble for that price imvvho.
We have Christmas Eve & Christmas blocked out this year. We had a full house over Thanksgiving and we don't know if we'll all be able to spend next Christmas together. The beauty of owning your own business!
regular_smile.gif
But, if a friend called & needed a place for a relative, I might reconsider & give a 20% holiday discount to boot because they probably wouldn't be here much.
The other B&Bs are not very busy, except for their own family members!

Bless their hearts, a lady called and asked about accepting BanB.com gift cards, then continued on to mention the couple is celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary and folks chipped in to get this GC, then continued on to say...Christmas and the day after (Boxing Day) they would be staying with you.
Not. I told her we would love to help them celebrate on Saturday and Sunday!
So what everyone is saying here is not only are they wanting us to be robotic and not have our own celebrations and family plans - but to accomodate them as guests - but also want it cheap! Now howz that for a poke in the eye with a hot stick!
PS edited to say jus' wanna sit around in my pj's Chrissie morning...nothin' more nothin' less.
tounge_smile.gif

I have guests coming Christmas Eve for 2 nights - full rate. They did not even ask about a discount.
Bree - there is no way I would go to $75 here (I did go $80 for the broken down car but that was a special case and it was not FRIGID and other than telling me she grew up in a B & B if that made a difference (I said it did not) she did not ask specifically for a discount percent or name a rate she was willing to pay - just did I have a room) in Podunk! In your area, what was she smoking??? Anyone who was rational (or even in LSD land) would not expect to find a B & B in Maine for $75!

I had a really nice lady call and needed a room for two. When I told her the price she said she would call back. She called in a few days and said she could get a room for $90 would I give her a room for $100. I said that I would if she would stay for 7 days with no breakfas and she booked. I don't like to discount that much but I will take 7 days at 100 and not have to worry about breakfast.
Different story
Had a call at 9 tonight and she wanted a room. She didn't ask for a discount but had a cat and said it was in a cage. I told her sorry no cats in rooms. I offered to put the cat in a basment room. She ask if the cat can be out of the cage there and I told her no. She said she would look for another place so her cat would not stay in the cage all night. Well I then knew if she had it in her room it would not stay in the cage there either. She did not ask for a discount.
Another story
Had a call 30 mintues ago and he ask for a room when I told him I needed a cc to hold a room he ask if he could book online I said yes but I forgot I have it set up so you cannot book the same day. He did not call back either. This is why I never let someone from the road book without a cc number. Whe I ask for the cc I I told him we do charge his card if he didn't show up.

I had a really nice lady call and needed a room for two. When I told her the price she said she would call back. She called in a few days and said she could get a room for $90 would I give her a room for $100. I said that I would if she would stay for 7 days with no breakfas and she booked. I don't like to discount that much but I will take 7 days at 100 and not have to worry about breakfast.
Different story
Had a call at 9 tonight and she wanted a room. She didn't ask for a discount but had a cat and said it was in a cage. I told her sorry no cats in rooms. I offered to put the cat in a basment room. She ask if the cat can be out of the cage there and I told her no. She said she would look for another place so her cat would not stay in the cage all night. Well I then knew if she had it in her room it would not stay in the cage there either. She did not ask for a discount.
Another story
Had a call 30 mintues ago and he ask for a room when I told him I needed a cc to hold a room he ask if he could book online I said yes but I forgot I have it set up so you cannot book the same day. He did not call back either. This is why I never let someone from the road book without a cc number. Whe I ask for the cc I I told him we do charge his card if he didn't show up..
I have a single business traveler rate Sun-Thurs: $119/night and includes all amenities. A comparable B&B is $15 less but only does a Continental breakfast.
I have an extended stay rate for single biz travelers which is the GAO rate: $89/night & includes all amenites (5 days or more). They are usually in our room with full kitchen or another with a kitchenette.
I have a guest associated with our university who will be here for 6 1/2 weeks after the first of the year. No B&B services, weekly housekeeping only and they will be here only 2-3 days a week but wanted the room reserved for flexibility as they'll be traveling throughout the state. They got a weekly rate.
I think that sometimes these travelers looking for deep, deep discounts think that they are doing YOU a favor by booking a room during the holidays.

For Christmas Sorry I would have doubled the price. No way I would put up with that kind of guest for my holiday.

Different story
Another story
Had a call 30 mintues ago and he ask for a room when I told him I needed a cc to hold a room he ask if he could book online I said yes but I forgot I have it set up so you cannot book the same day. He did not call back either. This is why I never let someone from the road book without a cc number. Whe I ask for the cc I I told him we do charge his card if he didn't show up..
I have a single business traveler rate Sun-Thurs: $119/night and includes all amenities. A comparable B&B is $15 less but only does a Continental breakfast.
I have an extended stay rate for single biz travelers which is the GAO rate: $89/night & includes all amenites (5 days or more). They are usually in our room with full kitchen or another with a kitchenette.
I have a guest associated with our university who will be here for 6 1/2 weeks after the first of the year. No B&B services, weekly housekeeping only and they will be here only 2-3 days a week but wanted the room reserved for flexibility as they'll be traveling throughout the state. They got a weekly rate.
I think that sometimes these travelers looking for deep, deep discounts think that they are doing YOU a favor by booking a room during the holidays.
Samster said:
I think that was her point...if I still had rooms open, why wouldn't I take the price she offered? I could see me agreeing and she decides then she only wants one night, so I've done the whole show for $75. Nope. As it is, we have tonight open so far, but another storm coming thru, so who knows.
I'd consider calling the hotels and asking for her room to see where she finally ended up...

Different story
Another story
Samster said:
I think that was her point...if I still had rooms open, why wouldn't I take the price she offered? I could see me agreeing and she decides then she only wants one night, so I've done the whole show for $75. Nope. As it is, we have tonight open so far, but another storm coming thru, so who knows.
I'd consider calling the hotels and asking for her room to see where she finally ended up...
There are a few of the cheapie motels and at least one B&B-type place that advertise rates well under $100 in your town. Bargain hunters are always surprised when you won't negotiate, and they generally understand very little about running our business. My theory is you get what you pay for (in her case) and the guest rate is in inverse proportion to the level of PITA they are (in your case). Enjoy your Christmas eve without her!!

Different story
Another story
Samster said:
There are a few of the cheapie motels and at least one B&B-type place that advertise rates well under $100 in your town. Bargain hunters are always surprised when you won't negotiate, and they generally understand very little about running our business. My theory is you get what you pay for (in her case) and the guest rate is in inverse proportion to the level of PITA they are (in your case). Enjoy your Christmas eve without her!!
muirford said:
I think the really low-priced B&B is closed for the season. I wasn't going to go outside and look at their sign, tho. He told me it doesn't pay to reopen before April. But he understands I have a big mortgage to pay so I have to be open. Tsk, tsk, shake of head. He's a card.
But, definitely, the Econolodge has their $59 sign out now, as do a couple of other places. They'll get down to $39 before winter is out.

Different story
Another story
Samster said:
muirford said:
I think the really low-priced B&B is closed for the season. I wasn't going to go outside and look at their sign, tho. He told me it doesn't pay to reopen before April. But he understands I have a big mortgage to pay so I have to be open. Tsk, tsk, shake of head. He's a card.
But, definitely, the Econolodge has their $59 sign out now, as do a couple of other places. They'll get down to $39 before winter is out.
Fine..then let them go pay $59 a night. You can't do that and that is it! People either pay what you want for your place or send them packing.
Would $59 a night pay you for all you do??? Would you SETTLE for that???? I would not!!! I would rather be empty. I know...you have a mortgage to pay..so you have to do what you have to do...but you MUST be comfortable with it.

Different story
Another story
Samster said:
muirford said:
Fine..then let them go pay $59 a night. You can't do that and that is it! People either pay what you want for your place or send them packing.
Would $59 a night pay you for all you do??? Would you SETTLE for that???? I would not!!! I would rather be empty. I know...you have a mortgage to pay..so you have to do what you have to do...but you MUST be comfortable with it.
catlady said:
Oh, no, I wouldn't take her at $75/night, I certainly wouldn't for $59! I don't do the 'show' for less than $100/night. Given I'm on vacation starting next week, I'm not looking to knock myself out this week! Apparently, my neighbor is down to $65/night, but, like I said, I don't know if they're even open right now.

My prices are what they are, and if one would go compare them to other places in Miami, they would probably be embarassed to ask me for a reduction. While our charter rates seem high to the average traveler, our B&B rates are VERY reasonable for Miami. I do charge more for holidays and special events as is customary here. Miami is very much a tourist destination. Yes, we have a high and low season, but in Miami, it's more like "high" and "really, really high" season. By comparison, I'm a bargain. So, no, I don't discount my B&B rates. Frankly, it's not worth my time and effort to do this for anything less. I don't make much money on B&B. I do it because I enjoy it, but I won't do it if I have to pay out of pocket for the pleasure at the end of the day.

Back