How many beds?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think carefully about your market and why people are coming to stay with you. I think from many of the experiences posted previously here by innkeepers with multiple beds in rooms that they have discovered it fosters guests attempting to push the occupancy limits in those rooms, which can lead to problems. You need to have your max occupancy policy clearly stated for each room and be willing to enforce it.
We have a mixture of types of rooms here and it's worked out very well. We have a fairly large room with 2 Queen beds and it's our least booked room and it's a really pretty room. But, it's worked for couples wanting separate beds, ladies traveling together, and infrequently for a third person. Our most popular room has a King sized bed and can also be part of a 2 bedroom suite. We have a fair number of folks that will go for our very large suite with a full sized sleep sofa in the living room for extra guests. I have found for our location, it is RARE that folks want to have a third person right in the same room with them. They like the privacy of a separate room in a suite arrangement for an additional guest(s). Our rooms are fairly large, too. Just my 2 cents.....
Absolutely agree about the pushing the limits on number of guests in the room. The latest was yesterday...couple with 3 kids wanted one room. Finally said he would go to a hotel where they don't count the number of guests.
We generally get that at least once/month. 5 guests in the room that holds 4, 3 in a room for 2, 4 in a room for 2. It's always people with kids. And they always say the kids will either sleep on the floor or they'll all pile into the one bed.
If this place caters to families, they definitley need to figure out how they will fit everyone in. Lately, every family has had 3 kids. I have the suite for that but not a single one of them wants to pay for the kids. They want the suite, but they want it for the price of the single room.
What guests do not understand is that I don't really care if their kids sleep on the floor or in the chair or all in the bed together, I care about the guest in the room next to them or under them who has to listen to the toilet flush a hundred times or the shower running for hours. Not to mention the 'noise' that 5 people in one bedroom can make.

Think carefully about your market and why people are coming to stay with you. I think from many of the experiences posted previously here by innkeepers with multiple beds in rooms that they have discovered it fosters guests attempting to push the occupancy limits in those rooms, which can lead to problems. You need to have your max occupancy policy clearly stated for each room and be willing to enforce it.
We have a mixture of types of rooms here and it's worked out very well. We have a fairly large room with 2 Queen beds and it's our least booked room and it's a really pretty room. But, it's worked for couples wanting separate beds, ladies traveling together, and infrequently for a third person. Our most popular room has a King sized bed and can also be part of a 2 bedroom suite. We have a fair number of folks that will go for our very large suite with a full sized sleep sofa in the living room for extra guests. I have found for our location, it is RARE that folks want to have a third person right in the same room with them. They like the privacy of a separate room in a suite arrangement for an additional guest(s). Our rooms are fairly large, too. Just my 2 cents.....
Absolutely agree about the pushing the limits on number of guests in the room. The latest was yesterday...couple with 3 kids wanted one room. Finally said he would go to a hotel where they don't count the number of guests.
We generally get that at least once/month. 5 guests in the room that holds 4, 3 in a room for 2, 4 in a room for 2. It's always people with kids. And they always say the kids will either sleep on the floor or they'll all pile into the one bed.
If this place caters to families, they definitley need to figure out how they will fit everyone in. Lately, every family has had 3 kids. I have the suite for that but not a single one of them wants to pay for the kids. They want the suite, but they want it for the price of the single room.
What guests do not understand is that I don't really care if their kids sleep on the floor or in the chair or all in the bed together, I care about the guest in the room next to them or under them who has to listen to the toilet flush a hundred times or the shower running for hours. Not to mention the 'noise' that 5 people in one bedroom can make.
Morticia said:
Ain't it the truth.

It's not just the noise and all of that, it's the additional wear & tear that many people and their crap can have on a room designed for 2 people. That's when you get folks dumping stuff on furnishings that are not intended for that purpose. ugh.

It's not just the noise and all of that, it's the additional wear & tear that many people and their crap can have on a room designed for 2 people. That's when you get folks dumping stuff on furnishings that are not intended for that purpose. ugh.
Samster said:
Absolutely. I think people call assuming these are 'hotel mini suites' and they'll just put the kids in the 'living room' section. They have a hotel room in mind, short 'hallway' where the bathroom is, bedroom, living room area. As it turns out, the guy with the 3 kids DID book a hotel. And they will be much happier.

Samster said:
And that is exactly what I learned. I made both my junior suites with extra sleeping arrangements - one has a couch that opens to a queen bed and the other has a love seat that opens to a twin. I thought I'd be offering that to let more than two sleep in the suites.
After all the work of finishing, painting, and shopping for the rooms I realized that not only did I not want the extra luggage banging around, that I was on a well and didn't want the extra hardship on the bathrooms. So I don't allow more than two per room.
What made me realize this was the first booking request to squeeze 6 women in the two suites. I knew they would tear it up with all the luggage and didn't want my rooms to get beat up.
RIki

Samster said:
Absolutely. I think people call assuming these are 'hotel mini suites' and they'll just put the kids in the 'living room' section. They have a hotel room in mind, short 'hallway' where the bathroom is, bedroom, living room area. As it turns out, the guy with the 3 kids DID book a hotel. And they will be much happier.
Morticia said:
Samster said:
And it is not just families with kids - i.e. my recent topic. Some will try anything, does not matter how many beds in the room, if they think they can slip one or more in they will. And yes it is the wear and tear, water, towels, food, etc. so it is costly. Some hotels on the coast have put cameras in their halls and monitor how many in a room as well has have their housekeeping check for 'extras of this or that' and have place a little fine line policy about extra fees for more than the room allows. How often it works, I don't know. Maybe they give a bonus to their housekeepers or security???

Samster said:
Morticia said:
Samster said:
And it is not just families with kids - i.e. my recent topic. Some will try anything, does not matter how many beds in the room, if they think they can slip one or more in they will. And yes it is the wear and tear, water, towels, food, etc. so it is costly. Some hotels on the coast have put cameras in their halls and monitor how many in a room as well has have their housekeeping check for 'extras of this or that' and have place a little fine line policy about extra fees for more than the room allows. How often it works, I don't know. Maybe they give a bonus to their housekeepers or security???
You're right. Families with kids usually, but not always, tell me about the kids. But the worst offenders are the wedding crowd who try to stuff as many girlfriends into one room as they can. Or they bring back guys they met at the wedding.

I am going to jump back in here about the daybed thing. My experience is quiet different than the others here. I love my daybeds and so do our guests. They do use them to lounge & more when there are only 2 of them, but that is my intention. I have a change in bedding if needed just like I do with my other beds. Sometimes they are used for little bags but my rooms have ample closet space to spread out luggage.
The style of daybed changes the complexity of bedding and time, effort in changing the sheets. This bed uses a twin quilt, tucked in under the matress and pillow cases. Easy as making any other bed.
100_1909.JPG
I have never seen one quite so beautiful.

Depends on the guests you get. We get all couples with just a couple of situations with mother/daughter type traveler who usually are fine with a king bed.
In our area king beds are the biggest draw - no call for two beds in the rooms. What I've done just in case is to put a sofa in one that opens to a queen and a overstuffed love seat in the other that opens to sleep a twin bed. Have only used each one time. I would much rather do that then mess with the two twins and the belt and remake to change from two beds to one king.
It is in my estimation at least in our area, a "given" that a bed and breakfast room will have one bed - usually a queen but if you have room our guests love a king.
RIki.
I agree to every word. Our one room with a queen and a twin is usually the last to rent, but it is useful to have the option for specific cases (also useful for snorer's). The rest of our rooms have queen's, but we're thinking about putting in king's where they'd fit. Most guests who ask about king's still end up booking, tho

I am going to jump back in here about the daybed thing. My experience is quiet different than the others here. I love my daybeds and so do our guests. They do use them to lounge & more when there are only 2 of them, but that is my intention. I have a change in bedding if needed just like I do with my other beds. Sometimes they are used for little bags but my rooms have ample closet space to spread out luggage.
The style of daybed changes the complexity of bedding and time, effort in changing the sheets. This bed uses a twin quilt, tucked in under the matress and pillow cases. Easy as making any other bed.
100_1909.JPG
Thanks for all the compliments. This room has become a very good seller since we removed the sleeper sofa and put this daybed in its place. It does have the Ahhhh factor.

100_1909.JPG
Thanks for all the compliments. This room has become a very good seller since we removed the sleeper sofa and put this daybed in its place. It does have the Ahhhh factor.
I thought it was an antique sofa until I read daybed.

I am catching up and just read this. We had a guest house that sleeps 12-16 -comfortably. 5 bdr/5bth. Two upstairs have 2 queen size each (perfect for families or couples friends traveling together) 3 bdrms downstairs, one has quen size bed and day bed, one king size bed and daybed. One is for our smallest and least expensive-queen size bed and love seat.
I would not put all queen size beds in a B & B unless necessary, we had one room in the main house that is a suite featuring a king size bed, sitting area and large bath. We also have three uptstairs rooms that in the future will remodel for renting-maybe.
Its nice to have a mix like everyone mentioned.

New article from iloveinns has a comment from an innkeeper who put recently 2 queen beds in each room and now has occ of 68% year round. She credits the second bed with securing her the additional bookings.
I don't see that play out around here. Actually, what I find in too many cases is that a man will not book a room with 2 beds. At all.
It all depends on who the market is. The innkeeper in the article is targeting baby boomers who are dealing with pain issues, snoring, older parents all traveling together.

New article from iloveinns has a comment from an innkeeper who put recently 2 queen beds in each room and now has occ of 68% year round. She credits the second bed with securing her the additional bookings.
I don't see that play out around here. Actually, what I find in too many cases is that a man will not book a room with 2 beds. At all.
It all depends on who the market is. The innkeeper in the article is targeting baby boomers who are dealing with pain issues, snoring, older parents all traveling together..
Morticia said:
It all depends on who the market is. The innkeeper in the article is targeting baby boomers who are dealing with pain issues, snoring, older parents all traveling together.
She must have HUGE rooms! I have big rooms and would never do that. We would end up with four adults in each room and all the damage from four suitcases, four carry ons, and the one bathroom would be really worked over. Not for me. What sells here is the whirlpool tub. So much so that we are going to put one in the other room as it does not book so often because of this.
Riki

It all depends on who the market is. The innkeeper in the article is targeting baby boomers who are dealing with pain issues, snoring, older parents all traveling together..
Morticia said:
She must have HUGE rooms! I have big rooms and would never do that. We would end up with four adults in each room and all the damage from four suitcases, four carry ons, and the one bathroom would be really worked over. Not for me. What sells here is the whirlpool tub. So much so that we are going to put one in the other room as it does not book so often because of this.
Riki
It's all about knowing the market. I'll bet she's had enough inquiries for rooms with 2 beds to know that's the market she wants. Most of what she was saying, tho, was not 4 guests in a room, but 2 adults wanting their own bed.

Morticia said:
Riki
It's all about knowing the market. I'll bet she's had enough inquiries for rooms with 2 beds to know that's the market she wants. Most of what she was saying, tho, was not 4 guests in a room, but 2 adults wanting their own bed.
Morticia said:
I think you are absolutely correct there. It is definitely not somewhere that couples travel to for anniversaries or birthdays. That's what I get.
Riki

Morticia said:
Riki
YOu are smart to put in whirlpool tub. When you do your others rooms, make sure you do the same. These are usually the ones that book first...at least with your "niche" group.

Morticia said:
Riki
YOu are smart to put in whirlpool tub. When you do your others rooms, make sure you do the same. These are usually the ones that book first...at least with your "niche" group.
catlady said:
Hoo boy you better believe it! The only reason we had not done it yet on the second suite, is when we build the other wing, that suite is going to become part of a real suite, attaching as the sitting room to the bedroom, and the rest of it is going to be separated out to be my office so I can get my office out of our apartment. But Chris says it will be easy to move when we are ready to finish the other side, so we will put one in after taxes are paid
The other wing will have our other four rooms and you KNOW they will all have the whirlpool tubs. Nobody asks for steam showers, so I don't know what I'm going to do in that respect, but Chris is also going to put in electric fireplaces. That's what they want - tubs and fireplaces, and tvs. (for watching movies in bed mostly)
When are you and Al getting down this way! We have room for you!
Riki

Morticia said:
Riki
catlady said:
Hoo boy you better believe it! The only reason we had not done it yet on the second suite, is when we build the other wing, that suite is going to become part of a real suite, attaching as the sitting room to the bedroom, and the rest of it is going to be separated out to be my office so I can get my office out of our apartment. But Chris says it will be easy to move when we are ready to finish the other side, so we will put one in after taxes are paid
The other wing will have our other four rooms and you KNOW they will all have the whirlpool tubs. Nobody asks for steam showers, so I don't know what I'm going to do in that respect, but Chris is also going to put in electric fireplaces. That's what they want - tubs and fireplaces, and tvs. (for watching movies in bed mostly)
When are you and Al getting down this way! We have room for you!
Riki
After the SPRING THAW hopefully. I make no day to day plans until I see this snow gone:-(

Yes our rooms are pretty large for a historic home, but I can say that most of the people that stay in those rooms are either a family or two couples for a weekend....two days tops. Bathroom and stuff don't get really worked over. Guess you have to know your demographics. We catered to families as well so the two upstairs rooms where perfect for two families or they would rent the whole house and put the kids upstairs.
We've had all kinds of guests from anniversaries to birthdays to adult children renting the guest house to surprise their parent for their 60th birthday or the family that wanted lunch for the grandson that was getting married at Babcok National Park for him and the family which consisted of 20 people. So we've had all kinds of guests.
We are a pretty down to earth B & B cause thats what the market is here. Outdoors families-rafting, hiking etc so we never got too many people that came for a "luxurious" experience. We call it "home away from home" with a gourmet breakfast and amenities.
It suited us fine.

Back