How many cookies/treats?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Granny's formula: people X 2, plus half again. (Works out to 3 per.) Anything left will be just as good tomorrow, and stale cookies make great hot chocolate dippers.

I do about 2 per guest of whatever. Just had guests here for a few nights & one person was eating all the cookies...his wife kept saying, "You've got to watch your cholesterol remember?" haha! They all raved over the brownies but those didn't get eaten up. For our second house, I plate them & put them in the room. I'm worried that if I leave them in the common hallway on the buffet that one person will eat them all (you know, kinda like sneaking cookies when your Mom's not looking...haha!) Sometimes in our Main House, the treats are out in the dining room with sodas, iced tea, or lemonade in the warmer weather. Yesterday & today, it's been raining & damp so there is mulled cider in the dining room.
tounge_smile.gif

If I have one room only booked in I put 3 cookies on a plate in their room..
I have been so busy and sick of making cookies. I was at the market the other day, saw carmel apples and the light bulb went off. It is fall and that is perfect thing to try. They were the bigest hit everyone loved them. I put them in a nice clear bag and put them on the buffett. Perfect!!!

I do not do evening treats -cookies etc. I have baskets with bananas/apples. pkgs of mini-cookies and snack crackers in each room for attacks of munchies.
However, this reminds me of the woman I used to work with. "I spent all dy making 60 cookies and my son and his friend ate all of them! I don't bother making cookies any more. I just buy them."
My question to her was why bother baking for just 5 dozen cookies? If it only made 5 dozen, I either doubled or tripled the recipe. And if my kids did not go through the cookies like a buzz saw, I would wonder what was wrong with them.
YOU know you had allotted 2 cookies per guest. The "ladies" did not get the script so they did not know that nor do they know how many guests you have.. You put them out, they were good cookies, so they ate them..
The two cookies per person is just a guideline we use when making the first batch of the day, I like to make them as we need them so they are always fresh. I was just curious if others made the same amount or more.
I honestly don't mind making them, especially when it's obvious that people are enjoying them. I guess I was just surprised with this group...they are here celebrating one's 60th b-day, and I guess I made the "ass-umption" that they'd have ladylike manners!
Ok, I just realized that what's bugging me isn't the eating of the cookies, but the fact that they are sitting RIGHT over the cookie jar. I just checked in two other couples and they tried to get a cup of tea and couldn't get around the group. So I invited the ladies to bring their tea into the living room to the more comfy chairs...they flat out ignored me and went back to their conversation!
The two couples just went out for dinner, so hopefully if the ladies ever move out I can refill the hot water and put some fresh cookies out...going to be a long weekend!
InnsiderInfo said:
Ok, I just realized that what's bugging me isn't the eating of the cookies, but the fact that they are sitting RIGHT over the cookie jar. I just checked in two other couples and they tried to get a cup of tea and couldn't get around the group. So I invited the ladies to bring their tea into the living room to the more comfy chairs...they flat out ignored me and went back to their conversation!
The two couples just went out for dinner, so hopefully if the ladies ever move out I can refill the hot water and put some fresh cookies out...going to be a long weekend!
See the other post about 'Oh my, let me refill that, I didn't realize it was EMPTY.'
Is there a way to arrange the seating so it's not right where the tea things are? The other thing is to take it as a compliment. They are comfortable, relaxed and oblivious. You see these people everywhere. Spread out, taking up all the space and most other people are too polite to budge them.
Not me, however. If I saw tea and cookies and someone was blocking my path and it seemed they weren't going to budge, I'd barge right in. 'Please excuse me, I think I'll have some of this before it's all gone.' I'm well known in certain circles for being the first one in a buffet line.
I'm well known in certain circles for being the first one in a buffet line.
My kind of friend! We will be there together!
gillumhouse said:
Hey, I don't believe in waiting around for someone to 'go first'. Heck, I'll go first! I get looks and I get laughs but I get fed!
Bree said:
gillumhouse said:
Hey, I don't believe in waiting around for someone to 'go first'. Heck, I'll go first! I get looks and I get laughs but I get fed!
Well, I don't believe in standing around either. If they're all waiting for someone to go first I'm happy to oblige.
I've found this applies in other areas as well... clap and they all clap. Stand up and they all stand up. It's kinda amazing, really...
=)
Kk.

With that number of guests I would have put out around 18 cookies/brownies. Many guests don't touch them at all. Once they are gone, they are gone. I put them out around 4 PM. If you think you can keep those ladies from scarfing more cookies down, then make more. The problem is that other guests come in and think, 'That's it? She only made 4 cookies?'
Should you notice that happening again, you could always take the tray away by saying, 'Oh my, let me refill that,' and then disappear..
"Should you notice that happening again, you could always take the tray away by saying, 'Oh my, let me refill that,' and then disappear."
Now THAT is elevating innkeeping to an art form...brilliant!!!
The ladies finally left the dining room at about 6:30, I made the extra dozen cookies and set them out. We went to dinner, came back at about 9 pm, ladies now sitting in living room and cookies all gone...so I hope whoever got 'em enjoyed 'em!!!
NOW it's a rainy Saturday morning and not a peep out of anyone...will probably be a long slow morning. Just got the muffins finished for breakfast and a few are just a TAD smaller than the others...guess who I'll be reserving those for?!?!
Thanks for listening.

that is exactly why I never put them out en mass. I always plated up cookies 2 per person and put them in their room. That way no one 'hogs" them all. That is not fair to you or the other guests. But most will assume you will just put out more.:-(

I do not do evening treats -cookies etc. I have baskets with bananas/apples. pkgs of mini-cookies and snack crackers in each room for attacks of munchies.
However, this reminds me of the woman I used to work with. "I spent all dy making 60 cookies and my son and his friend ate all of them! I don't bother making cookies any more. I just buy them."
My question to her was why bother baking for just 5 dozen cookies? If it only made 5 dozen, I either doubled or tripled the recipe. And if my kids did not go through the cookies like a buzz saw, I would wonder what was wrong with them.
YOU know you had allotted 2 cookies per guest. The "ladies" did not get the script so they did not know that nor do they know how many guests you have.. You put them out, they were good cookies, so they ate them..
The two cookies per person is just a guideline we use when making the first batch of the day, I like to make them as we need them so they are always fresh. I was just curious if others made the same amount or more.
I honestly don't mind making them, especially when it's obvious that people are enjoying them. I guess I was just surprised with this group...they are here celebrating one's 60th b-day, and I guess I made the "ass-umption" that they'd have ladylike manners!
InnsiderInfo said:
See the other post about 'Oh my, let me refill that, I didn't realize it was EMPTY.'
Is there a way to arrange the seating so it's not right where the tea things are? The other thing is to take it as a compliment. They are comfortable, relaxed and oblivious. You see these people everywhere. Spread out, taking up all the space and most other people are too polite to budge them.
Not me, however. If I saw tea and cookies and someone was blocking my path and it seemed they weren't going to budge, I'd barge right in. 'Please excuse me, I think I'll have some of this before it's all gone.' I'm well known in certain circles for being the first one in a buffet line.
gillumhouse said:
Bree said:
gillumhouse said:
Well, I don't believe in standing around either. If they're all waiting for someone to go first I'm happy to oblige.
I've found this applies in other areas as well... clap and they all clap. Stand up and they all stand up. It's kinda amazing, really...
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
gillumhouse said:
=)
Kk.
I hate group think, I would be the one not clapping or not standing. Don't like to be led around. In most instances it doesn't phase me, but sometimes I feel manipulated - like I mentioned being like a dog to do tricks. WOOF! <insert dog doing cartwheels emoticon here>

With that number of guests I would have put out around 18 cookies/brownies. Many guests don't touch them at all. Once they are gone, they are gone. I put them out around 4 PM. If you think you can keep those ladies from scarfing more cookies down, then make more. The problem is that other guests come in and think, 'That's it? She only made 4 cookies?'
Should you notice that happening again, you could always take the tray away by saying, 'Oh my, let me refill that,' and then disappear..
"Should you notice that happening again, you could always take the tray away by saying, 'Oh my, let me refill that,' and then disappear."
The ladies finally left the dining room at about 6:30, I made the extra dozen cookies and set them out. We went to dinner, came back at about 9 pm, ladies now sitting in living room and cookies all gone...so I hope whoever got 'em enjoyed 'em!!!
NOW it's a rainy Saturday morning and not a peep out of anyone...will probably be a long slow morning. Just got the muffins finished for breakfast and a few are just a TAD smaller than the others...guess who I'll be reserving those for?!?!
Thanks for listening.
InnsiderInfo said:
Thanks for listening.
We're here for ya!
Hey, are these little old ladies? The kind who carry ziplock baggies in their handbags? Check your tea bags as well...they love to pilfer! This might be what they are doing.

Thanks for listening.
InnsiderInfo said:
Thanks for listening.
We're here for ya!
Hey, are these little old ladies? The kind who carry ziplock baggies in their handbags? Check your tea bags as well...they love to pilfer! This might be what they are doing.
Hey, are these little old ladies?
Celebrating a 60th birthday in the days of my yout as they say on the sout' side, would have been old. Today they are just getting started!

Thanks for listening.
InnsiderInfo said:
Thanks for listening.
We're here for ya!
Two are very youthful and one seems to be a bit younger than the other two but she seems to be the slowest link here...as I'm listening at breakfast this morning it seems like the two want to get out and do something but that third is wanting to sit here and "relax" all day...I'm sure her definition of relaxing will involve tea and cookies!!
I will NOT be putting them out en masse today...a dozen at a time!
Speaking of pilfering...the Splenda packets seem to be going by the handful this last week...every time I turn around I am refilling it but I am not seeing the empty packets in the trash...hmm. I also started putting out the one cup coffee bags (used to brew coffee each afternoon but it always seemed to get wasted)...anyway I put out both regual and decaf coffee bags and THEY seem to be leaving by the dozen as well.

Thanks for listening.
InnsiderInfo said:
Thanks for listening.
We're here for ya!
Celebrating a 60th birthday in the days of my yout as they say on the sout' side, would have been old. Today they are just getting started!
Hey...I just had my 60th and there is no way anyone is going to call me a "little old lady"
cheers.gif

Thanks for listening.
InnsiderInfo said:
Thanks for listening.
We're here for ya!
Hey...I just had my 60th and there is no way anyone is going to call me a "little old lady"
cheers.gif

I said in the OLD DAYS 60 was old.
Today - 60 is just GETTING STARTED
I am older than you - I am getting my SS nya-nya!!

Thanks for listening.
InnsiderInfo said:
Thanks for listening.
We're here for ya!
cheers.gif

I said in the OLD DAYS 60 was old.
Today - 60 is just GETTING STARTED
I am older than you - I am getting my SS nya-nya!!
I don't get SS and probably never will...never got enough hours in. Am I just praying my TDA's will still have some money left in them by the time I can take it out.:-( I am afraid to even go on line and check their value today!

Tweren't meant as a pull in the reins. It just tickled a memory.
It truly means they were talking and having a good time and the cookies were there..... Have you ever sat reading a book with a bag of cookies next to you and suddnly found it to be an empty bag?
Since we only have two rooms, we put 2 large cookies on a plate in each room. If they can't figure out that they get one each, then they have bigger problems than cookies.
You could possibly put a sign by the cookies stating, "Your ass must be this small in order to eat these cookies". That would eliminate a lot of people right there.

It truly means they were talking and having a good time and the cookies were there..... Have you ever sat reading a book with a bag of cookies next to you and suddnly found it to be an empty bag?
Since we only have two rooms, we put 2 large cookies on a plate in each room. If they can't figure out that they get one each, then they have bigger problems than cookies.
You could possibly put a sign by the cookies stating, "Your ass must be this small in order to eat these cookies". That would eliminate a lot of people right there.
Tsk! Tsk! Those are mental conversations only.
Seriously though, we try to give helpful suggestions rather than our first knee-jerk smart-ass responses. This particular thread is a vent more than a request for suggestions. It is on the line of my thoughts about a certain person in this house who from time to time could easily end up a bloody mess - frustration and figuring out the cause of the frustration.

InnsiderInfo said:
gillumhouse said:
Bree said:
gillumhouse said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
gillumhouse said:
=)
Kk.
I hate group think, I would be the one not clapping or not standing. Don't like to be led around. In most instances it doesn't phase me, but sometimes I feel manipulated - like I mentioned being like a dog to do tricks. WOOF! <insert dog doing cartwheels emoticon here>
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
gillumhouse said:
=)
Kk.
I don't like being manipulated, either... probably why I'm the one doing the manipulating by clapping first, standing first... either that or I'm way too impatient...
=)
Kk.

Seriously though, we try to give helpful suggestions rather than our first knee-jerk smart-ass responses. This particular thread is a vent more than a request for suggestions. It is on the line of my thoughts about a certain person in this house who from time to time could easily end up a bloody mess - frustration and figuring out the cause of the frustration.
gillumhouse said:
I know, I know. I'm the bad boy in the bunch.
devil_smile.gif

I think that multiple night stays are deserving of special treats. Not single night stays who arrive late and leave early. Too much can go to waste. We provide a snack area with complimentary snacks (pretzels, mocha coffee bars, chips, sodas, water)

I think that multiple night stays are deserving of special treats. Not single night stays who arrive late and leave early. Too much can go to waste. We provide a snack area with complimentary snacks (pretzels, mocha coffee bars, chips, sodas, water).
Joe Bloggs said:
I think that multiple night stays are deserving of special treats. Not single night stays who arrive late and leave early. Too much can go to waste. We provide a snack area with complimentary snacks (pretzels, mocha coffee bars, chips, sodas, water)
Oh. Oops. My second nighters had access to the remaining cookies from the first night. (Under a glass cover...)
19 is a lot of cookies...
=)
Kk.

Back