How many does a guest need?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Talking with a friend who removes the 'extras' from the guest rooms if there is only one guest checking in. She will remove the extra set of towels, glass, robe, whatever. While the guest is standing there. The way she does this is to say, 'I'll just get these out of your way.'
Then, if the guest needs more, they have to find her.
This came up when I explained I had one guest use every towel and glass in the room and then put all the towels out to get new every day. She said, 'Why did you leave everything in the room? One guest, one towel. Take all the extra stuff away.'
So, how do you handle this? Do you decrease the amenities in the room because there are fewer guests? I have my '3-person' rooms set up for 3 people at all times, no matter if it's 1, 2 or 3 guests in there. I do it that way because it's easier for me to not have to think 'does that room have enough of everything?' Even if it means doing extra towels every once in awhile, it beats having the guest hunting me down at midnight for the extra towels!

Ours are always set up for two, which is our usual and default occupancy. If three are arriving, then I add what's needed. My baths always have three bath towels anyway, so I just have to add another washcloth and face towel plus the other amenties. I don't take anything away when there's a single guest.

As a guest, I would be really offended by that.
As an innkeeper, I would be more concerned that the guest did not have enough. I would not remove anything, and in fact would add, "Be sure to let me know if you need anything else."
The cost of keeping a guest amply (or over) supplied is far less than the cost of offending a guest, on many levels.

My charge is per room. I don't discount for single occupancy, so they get to use whatever they want. There will be two turn-down treats, there will be two bottles of water and if both are used, I will replace with two more.
If I have three rooms of two and one single, all my tables will be set for two so that single person doesn't feel I've chosen their table for them.
I used to travel a lot by myself and too many times I would walk into a dining room with every table set for a couple or a family. Even though I was the first down, I couldn't have that table by the window, or the one by the fireplace because I'd find "my" table pre-chosen for me.

My charge is per room. I don't discount for single occupancy, so they get to use whatever they want. There will be two turn-down treats, there will be two bottles of water and if both are used, I will replace with two more.
If I have three rooms of two and one single, all my tables will be set for two so that single person doesn't feel I've chosen their table for them.
I used to travel a lot by myself and too many times I would walk into a dining room with every table set for a couple or a family. Even though I was the first down, I couldn't have that table by the window, or the one by the fireplace because I'd find "my" table pre-chosen for me..
I do that, too! Set each table for the maximum number so everyone gets to choose. If I have a room with 3 guests, I set the table for 4 so they can pick where at the table to sit rather than thinking, I have to sit here with the place setting.
Gets a little iffy when there are multiple rooms with 3 and a few 2's as well. And the odd single who will sit at a table set for 3. But it works most of the time.

As an innkeeper, I would be more concerned that the guest did not have enough. I would not remove anything, and in fact would add, "Be sure to let me know if you need anything else."
The cost of keeping a guest amply (or over) supplied is far less than the cost of offending a guest, on many levels..
IronGate said:
The cost of keeping a guest amply (or over) supplied is far less than the cost of offending a guest, on many levels.
That's what I told her. She didn't seem to think anyone would be offended by taking things away, but even if I wasn't planning on using everything in the room, I'd be offended.

I also have the bathrooms set up for 2 with towels and the extra towels are on the shelf (3 robes in the closet, 2 XL and 1 XXL) in the pvt bath. The shared bath has an antique wash stand that always has 3 sets of towels on the towel bar (all that will fit) plus a white oak handmade market basket chock-full of towels of all sizes and wash cloths. There are 2 towel rings next to the sinck with different colors of hand towels next to the sink.
I alsways have the same number of apples and bananas in the fruit baskets - no matter how many guests booked for that room - but I do only put 2 pretzels on the platter on the dresser. If it is a single, there are no rose petals on the bed nor chocolate hearts on the pillow and the candy kisses are only in the candy dish on the dresser.

I used to travel a lot by myself and too many times I would walk into a dining room with every table set for a couple or a family. Even though I was the first down, I couldn't have that table by the window, or the one by the fireplace because I'd find "my" table pre-chosen for me..
I do that, too! Set each table for the maximum number so everyone gets to choose. If I have a room with 3 guests, I set the table for 4 so they can pick where at the table to sit rather than thinking, I have to sit here with the place setting.
Gets a little iffy when there are multiple rooms with 3 and a few 2's as well. And the odd single who will sit at a table set for 3. But it works most of the time.
And the odd single who will sit at a table set for 3.
...... definitely get those, but what never ceases to amaze me is the couple / or single who will sit at the only unmade table and wait to be served.

...... definitely get those, but what never ceases to amaze me is the couple / or single who will sit at the only unmade table and wait to be served.
The Tipsy Butler said:
They figure tables are set as needed, or else they would all be set. The others have been set, and are therefore taken, so we'll take this one that no one is using.

I also set up for two and leave everything for single travelers except the guest robe. I would remove the extra robe before check-in when the room is "iced". There's something about a an extra robe that makes me feel lonely.... ;-)
4 bath towels, 2 hand towels, a face cloth for makeup, 2 wash cloths, and a bath mat. 2 glasses for the bathroom. 4 pillows on the bed, and 2 spares. Since we do turndown, there would be the appropriate number of chocolates and cold water for the occupancy whether it was one, two, or three.
For 3 in a room, we add the appropriate extras. It's easier to have everything there than for the guest to have ask you for something. Also as a guest for me, there is nothing worse than not having enough towels or pillows for the rates at most B&Bs.
I really don't understand the reasoning in removing items as you are checking in the guest. To me, it makes the innkeeper appear cheap or something.

The Tipsy Butler said:
They figure tables are set as needed, or else they would all be set. The others have been set, and are therefore taken, so we'll take this one that no one is using.
IronGate said:
The Tipsy Butler said:
I'm hoping that's the thought process everytime it happens here! Because it's a pain to try CLEANING around seated guests. And asking them if they would like a table that is set up usually elicits, 'No, we'll sit here.' Fine, let me just sweep the crumbs into your laps.

I also set up for two and leave everything for single travelers except the guest robe. I would remove the extra robe before check-in when the room is "iced". There's something about a an extra robe that makes me feel lonely.... ;-)
4 bath towels, 2 hand towels, a face cloth for makeup, 2 wash cloths, and a bath mat. 2 glasses for the bathroom. 4 pillows on the bed, and 2 spares. Since we do turndown, there would be the appropriate number of chocolates and cold water for the occupancy whether it was one, two, or three.
For 3 in a room, we add the appropriate extras. It's easier to have everything there than for the guest to have ask you for something. Also as a guest for me, there is nothing worse than not having enough towels or pillows for the rates at most B&Bs.
I really don't understand the reasoning in removing items as you are checking in the guest. To me, it makes the innkeeper appear cheap or something..
Samster said:
I really don't understand the reasoning in removing items as you are checking in the guest. To me, it makes the innkeeper appear cheap or something.
Exactly.

I think it is ridiculous.
(Hey you asked) I hate nickling and diming! Just leave the flippin' things in the room. Don't make me tell the story of the banana divided 4 ways again...

I really don't understand the reasoning in removing items as you are checking in the guest. To me, it makes the innkeeper appear cheap or something..
Samster said:
Appear? ha ha sorry this is a funny thread. Someone is reading it and getting red in the face right now, oops! Come on, let's treat people like humans not numbers.
cry_smile.gif

We set the room up for 2, even our one room that fits 3. If we have a single guest, we'll remove one robe, one wine glass and one bathroom glass. By removing those items, it shows that we have set up the room specifically for them. Guests have commented that they appreciated having it set up for 1. We're a romantic getaway, so sometimes when it's a single person, it's because the relationship has broken off. Seeing everything in their room for 2 reminds them they are alone

(Hey you asked) I hate nickling and diming! Just leave the flippin' things in the room. Don't make me tell the story of the banana divided 4 ways again....
Joey Bloggs said:
(Hey you asked) I hate nickling and diming! Just leave the flippin' things in the room. Don't make me tell the story of the banana divided 4 ways again...
Ditto on the nickling and diming.
And please please please tell us the story of the banana divided 4 ways again.

Remove one bathroom glass?
whattha.gif

I might use one for my toothbrush and one to rinse and spit. LOL

We set the room up for 2, even our one room that fits 3. If we have a single guest, we'll remove one robe, one wine glass and one bathroom glass. By removing those items, it shows that we have set up the room specifically for them. Guests have commented that they appreciated having it set up for 1. We're a romantic getaway, so sometimes when it's a single person, it's because the relationship has broken off. Seeing everything in their room for 2 reminds them they are alone.
Breakfast Diva said:
We set the room up for 2, even our one room that fits 3. If we have a single guest, we'll remove one robe, one wine glass and one bathroom glass. By removing those items, it shows that we have set up the room specifically for them. Guests have commented that they appreciated having it set up for 1. We're a romantic getaway, so sometimes when it's a single person, it's because the relationship has broken off. Seeing everything in their room for 2 reminds them they are alone
That makes perfect sense and I can see how single guests might really appreciate that. Especially removing the robe and wine glass.

We always set the room for two and if there's one person we leave it as is but if there is a third we add extra. Everything looks better set as a pair and many times a single will eat the extra chocolate and drink the extra water. There are always plenty of towels. It would be more of a pain to remove everything than to just leave it be.

Back