How many events/getaways do you promote at once?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
  • How many getaways do you promote at once? If we clicked on your website would there be an entire page of specials and promotions? Or would you have fine tuned just a couple?
  • If you have upcoming events do you have them ALL listed or just feed them out a few at a time over the months ahead to generate interest?
  • Does there seem to be a limit on how many promotions you run at once? If so, why?
  • Do you only promote what is currently called for by your state or B&B directory? ie October is wine month in Virginia, October is also Fall Festival Month, Apple Month, Leaf Peeping Season, Country drives etc etc
  • If October is already your busiest month, do you instead promote Nov/Dec events?

I used to do it seasonally but was always getting calls 'out of season' for specials, so I just leave them all up now but put dates on them...valid in Dec, or whatever.

I have my always available specials up - the ones that people book - covered bridges, bike n winery, overnight stabling, etc but add seasonal ones. Just posted my Thanksgiving because I was getting a lot of hits from a web site that only had my Thanksgiving listed from last year. Next month I will probably add Christmas and New years. I post new ones when they occur to me but only remove the out of season (as in Thanksgiving when it is over) or those that have not been booked after being up for a year or so. Ya never know what will catch someone's eye.....

I have my always available specials up - the ones that people book - covered bridges, bike n winery, overnight stabling, etc but add seasonal ones. Just posted my Thanksgiving because I was getting a lot of hits from a web site that only had my Thanksgiving listed from last year. Next month I will probably add Christmas and New years. I post new ones when they occur to me but only remove the out of season (as in Thanksgiving when it is over) or those that have not been booked after being up for a year or so. Ya never know what will catch someone's eye......
gillumhouse said:
I have my always available specials up - the ones that people book - covered bridges, bike n winery, overnight stabling..
I wish we had even one attraction like that to offer here!
Note to self: hire crew to roof over one of our low-water bridges. Plant some grapes for eventual winery. Put hitching post in front of B&B.
JB, excellent points to consider. Thanks!

I have my always available specials up - the ones that people book - covered bridges, bike n winery, overnight stabling, etc but add seasonal ones. Just posted my Thanksgiving because I was getting a lot of hits from a web site that only had my Thanksgiving listed from last year. Next month I will probably add Christmas and New years. I post new ones when they occur to me but only remove the out of season (as in Thanksgiving when it is over) or those that have not been booked after being up for a year or so. Ya never know what will catch someone's eye......
gillumhouse said:
I have my always available specials up - the ones that people book - covered bridges, bike n winery, overnight stabling..
Note to self: hire crew to roof over one of our low-water bridges. Plant some grapes for eventual winery. Put hitching post in front of B&B.
Note to self: hire crew to roof over one of our low-water bridges. Plant some grapes for eventual winery. Put hitching post in front of B&B
Arkie, I was new to my area. I drove around and FOUND what was there. Look with eyes of a stranger. I do not have a stable, but when a locl man told me his son was trying to start a stable, I jumped on it. It may sound funny, but those long noses brought me 2 room nights in one week plus one of those has booked for 2 more nights and I have at least one more in between. Not bad for a service I do not have to maintain!
I have to go pick up trash on the highway. More later.

Each month I send a out a newsletter to previous guests and anyone that has signed up to receive it on our website. I list in detail the events for the coming month so that it might (and does) encourage people to reserve a room to participate in the event de jour. After someone has made a reservation, I sent them a reminder of the events that will be taking place on the day or weekend of their visit. This has been good for us and for other local businesses.

gillumhouse said:
Note to self: hire crew to roof over one of our low-water bridges. Plant some grapes for eventual winery. Put hitching post in front of B&B
Arkie, I was new to my area. I drove around and FOUND what was there. Look with eyes of a stranger. I do not have a stable, but when a locl man told me his son was trying to start a stable, I jumped on it. It may sound funny, but those long noses brought me 2 room nights in one week plus one of those has booked for 2 more nights and I have at least one more in between. Not bad for a service I do not have to maintain!
K,
Have guests (both teachers) here from WV this morning. Wallace. Very close to you!
I mentioned you and he said he saw your T'giving dinner special online. :) So you know why your ears are burning. They will be in shortly for breakfast and your ears might burn some more...
cheers.gif

gillumhouse said:
K,
Have guests (both teachers) here from WV this morning. Wallace. Very close to you!
I mentioned you and he said he saw your T'giving dinner special online. :) So you know why your ears are burning. They will be in shortly for breakfast and your ears might burn some more...
cheers.gif

Wow! I hope they heard reasonable things about me/us. I am involved in so much here, one never knows. Wallace is a very rural communnity. They used to have their own high sch but got consolidated out. Their kids now come to our high school - and it is a shame because it is such a haul, makes it hard for extra-curricula activies. It also took the "HEART" out of Wallace.

I used to promote no more than a couple of seasonal things on our website at once, along with our regular packages.
I promoted the local and regional happenings on the blog which was linked on the website. The info just wasn't available for a lot of things way ahead of time here because for some reason event planners and our c&vb didn't have a big lead time. I tried to go out a few months if I had the info.

Back