How many guests do you host in one year (January - December)?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Each innkeeper on this forum should be totally proud of their accomplishments. You deserve a huge pat on the back or hug! Seriously, it is no easy chore with 2 rooms or 10. You have to be on the top of your game at all times, the business is a 24/7 deal.
I wish for all of you some time to relax and enjoy the fruit of your labors.
regular_smile.gif

Don't forget to meet up with other inn-mates when you can, as there is a great benefit to meeting face to face. It is hard electronically to share a lot. No one understands the way we understand "this business."

From Jan 1to today - 2554 guests @ 47.59% occupancy. This is our first year at this. I could remember eveyone's name and where they were from until May - when tourist season started... then there are the non-overnight guests for the weddings, showers and receptions we hosted. Whew, sure looking forward to taking most of January off
confused_smile.gif
So RRH how ya liking it so far?
With those numbers, don't you cringe when a guest says "Oh you are only new to this!" and you reply 'yeah new...only made 3000 breakfasts thus far..." or insert actual #
We do cringe but more guests say "It seems like you've been doing this much longer"! And we have - the family B&B mode we were in for years trained us well - now people pay us to stay and the family is even starting to come back around again. We do need a break, have already scheduled a 3 week vacation in January. We ran a 71.33% OR in July. The 35.14% in October was a piece of cake. Doing lots of marketing catch up and now decorating for the holidays. I have to give DW the bulk of the credit as she is there all day every day. I still work my day job in addition to this 2nd job, always something to fix in this old place!
rrh said:
We do cringe but more guests say "It seems like you've been doing this much longer"!
Right. I was not saying that as a put down, I was just saying that guests are shocked and say that "Oh you are just new to this" as they are surprised, they think we are at it forever and ever. :) We are not high occup like you, but DH with two jobs is wearing thin...it comes out in minor blow ups like "Where are those chives!" and we will find ourselves freaking out over something small and not even know why...then realize, it is the pressure and workload getting to us.
Gotta schedule time off to just be. Not work and fix and renovate. Just to be. (I say this to my self as much to anyone else).
Joey Bloggs said:
rrh said:
We do cringe but more guests say "It seems like you've been doing this much longer"!
Right. I was not saying that as a put down,
Not taken as such
thumbs_up.gif

Each innkeeper on this forum should be totally proud of their accomplishments. You deserve a huge pat on the back or hug! Seriously, it is no easy chore with 2 rooms or 10. You have to be on the top of your game at all times, the business is a 24/7 deal.
regular_smile.gif

Don't forget to meet up with other inn-mates when you can, as there is a great benefit to meeting face to face. It is hard electronically to share a lot. No one understands the way we understand "this business.".
Joey Bloggs said:
regular_smile.gif

Don't forget to meet up with other inn-mates when you can, as there is a great benefit to meeting face to face. It is hard electronically to share a lot. No one understands the way we understand "this business."
Agreed! When I'm reading posts I never even consider how many rooms anybody has. Everyone in this business has valuable experiences to share no matter what size inn they have.

Congrats to the newbies for having great seasons. We all need to stop and count our blessings.
We are doing what we REALLY want to be doing and where we want to do it
We have the friendship and fellowship this Forum provides
We meet people from all over the world (and get paid to do it!!)
We have families that we love (some near, some far, some better loved from afar!)
We have a roof over our heads, food in our bellies, and maybe even some cash in our wallets.
We each opened our eyes and sucked air this morning and if we do it again tomorrow, we will have another chance to try again.
Indeed! GOD is in his Heaven and all is right in my world!

Congrats to the newbies for having great seasons. We all need to stop and count our blessings.
We are doing what we REALLY want to be doing and where we want to do it
We have the friendship and fellowship this Forum provides
We meet people from all over the world (and get paid to do it!!)
We have families that we love (some near, some far, some better loved from afar!)
We have a roof over our heads, food in our bellies, and maybe even some cash in our wallets.
We each opened our eyes and sucked air this morning and if we do it again tomorrow, we will have another chance to try again.
Indeed! GOD is in his Heaven and all is right in my world!.
Kathleen
I was thinking just this same thing yesterday! So many people out of work, going through divorce, losing their homes....and we just keep getting busier and busier. We consider ourselves truly blessed to be successful doing what we love, to own such a beautiful house, to have a loving family and a really great marriage...I am especially thankful for that. I know that we're one in a million! :)

Innsider...that's a huge number. Is that due to alot of one night stays and families? Seems to me that your location is conducive to family vacations.

We had 136 guests. 1/2 the year we had one room, before we added another room mid-May. Some rooms were multiple nights.
C

Innsider...that's a huge number. Is that due to alot of one night stays and families? Seems to me that your location is conducive to family vacations..
We get almost all two nighters and quite a few 5-6 nighters. We do get a fair number of one nighters during the week. For the first time this December our occupancy for the year will top 60%, which is why the big number. We've raised our rates and are hoping that brings us down a bit, we are exhausted.
Our area is very conducive to families but that is not our market, we only take older kids and don't sleep more than 3 people in any room. We get mostly couples in their 30's-50's.

We have had 450 bodies cross over our threshhold, for overnight stays, many more if you include weddings and meetings. Occ. rate for the year,as of the end of this month, is 45% and Dec. seems to be settling in to keep it about there. We have 5 guest rooms with a very large % of business guests (1 per room) and the ave stay is 2-3 nights.
I would be dead if my #'s topped at over 1000. Kudos to all you that can do it and still have time to breath.

Back