How many guests do you host in one year (January - December)?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
Didn't want to do a poll with limited choices, so just posted the question. What's your estimate for the number of guests you host in an average year (not room nights, but number of people who walk through your door)?
Ours is ~4200

ACTUAL DIFFERENT BODIES? WOW! How many rooms do you have? You have to be worn out
tounge_smile.gif

We have no where near that many guests. I'm too tired from reading that number to look in the rez system! LOL! :)

30% repeats so I won't count them more than once. In which case it's about 2000. Give or take the ones who sneak in...

Repeats are counted in my total. I'm just curious as to actual number of people in the door.

2-rooms and very little Winter Traffic, we average around 400-500 people. Provides us with a major trip once a year and a year's supply of mind-obfuscating effervescents. LOL

cheers.gif

I am not even close to that number (edited to add - nowhere even near it). You have some super systems and organizational skills in place! Good on ya!

I felt bad and went and looked at the numbers. We had about 800 folks in the last 12 months, about 40% occupancy for the available rooms.

From Jan 1to today - 2554 guests @ 47.59% occupancy. This is our first year at this. I could remember eveyone's name and where they were from until May - when tourist season started... then there are the non-overnight guests for the weddings, showers and receptions we hosted. Whew, sure looking forward to taking most of January off
confused_smile.gif

From Jan 1to today - 2554 guests @ 47.59% occupancy. This is our first year at this. I could remember eveyone's name and where they were from until May - when tourist season started... then there are the non-overnight guests for the weddings, showers and receptions we hosted. Whew, sure looking forward to taking most of January off
confused_smile.gif
So RRH how ya liking it so far?
With those numbers, don't you cringe when a guest says "Oh you are only new to this!" and you reply 'yeah new...only made 3000 breakfasts thus far..." or insert actual #

confused_smile.gif
With those numbers, don't you cringe when a guest says "Oh you are only new to this!" and you reply 'yeah new...only made 3000 breakfasts thus far..." or insert actual #
We do cringe but more guests say "It seems like you've been doing this much longer"! And we have - the family B&B mode we were in for years trained us well - now people pay us to stay and the family is even starting to come back around again. We do need a break, have already scheduled a 3 week vacation in January. We ran a 71.33% OR in July. The 35.14% in October was a piece of cake. Doing lots of marketing catch up and now decorating for the holidays. I have to give DW the bulk of the credit as she is there all day every day. I still work my day job in addition to this 2nd job, always something to fix in this old place!

No where near that and I am not about to embarrass myself with numbers of any kind. We are off the beaten path (no one knew we were a tourist area until I told them) with hotels and motels at almost every exit. This has been a bit of an off year. I am married to a CUB fan and the mantra in this house is - Wait til next year!

confused_smile.gif
Congrats! That is awesome for newbies! AWESOME!!

No where near that and I am not about to embarrass myself with numbers of any kind. We are off the beaten path (no one knew we were a tourist area until I told them) with hotels and motels at almost every exit. This has been a bit of an off year. I am married to a CUB fan and the mantra in this house is - Wait til next year!.
Oh no, no, no! Nothing embarrassing about what ANY of us do, I just thought it was a neat way to look at it, not occupancy or revenue or anything like that, but just the sheer numbers of people we see...what other profession would give you that opportunity?!?!?!

confused_smile.gif
Samster said:
Thanks
regular_smile.gif
It was an operating inn when we bought but we have run a couple of % above last years records all summer long. In addition to the day to day business this year, we replaced all the carpet, beds, refinished hardwood floors, wallpapered and painted, rebuilt the front porch deck and rails, ripped off the rotted rear entry and carriage house stairs and replaced with Trexx stairs and decks, new hot tub deck, replaced a shower stall and got three sides of the main house painted before the cold weather set in. Yikes, no wonder we are tired and grumpy..... We are already seeing a number of repeat guests and referrals
tounge_smile.gif

I better get an updated avatar pic on here with the new green paint!

No where near that and I am not about to embarrass myself with numbers of any kind. We are off the beaten path (no one knew we were a tourist area until I told them) with hotels and motels at almost every exit. This has been a bit of an off year. I am married to a CUB fan and the mantra in this house is - Wait til next year!.
Oh no, no, no! Nothing embarrassing about what ANY of us do, I just thought it was a neat way to look at it, not occupancy or revenue or anything like that, but just the sheer numbers of people we see...what other profession would give you that opportunity?!?!?!
my numbers do not come close to anyone. Quite honestly, although I would naturally like to see more numbers (especially in the revenue column), I am not complaining. We are not in a tourist mecca so I do not have people doing walk-ins and that frees me up to do things like tonight - Community Thanksgiving Service and hopefully part of band rehearsal. (As prez of the Council of Churches I HAVE to go to the service - we sponsor it) I also do not get many in the PITA category. Small is nice.
I was worried about my Canadians that were supposed to come in with horses on the 20th because as City Clerk I must attend the Council Meeting and if they did not get in early, I would have to guidethem to the stable. Since DH did his little stint at the hospital sending him as guide will not fly. Got lucky - they delayed until Dec 7 and that is just a Development Authority meeitng and I am just on the Board with that.

confused_smile.gif
We do cringe but more guests say "It seems like you've been doing this much longer"! And we have - the family B&B mode we were in for years trained us well - now people pay us to stay and the family is even starting to come back around again. We do need a break, have already scheduled a 3 week vacation in January. We ran a 71.33% OR in July. The 35.14% in October was a piece of cake. Doing lots of marketing catch up and now decorating for the holidays. I have to give DW the bulk of the credit as she is there all day every day. I still work my day job in addition to this 2nd job, always something to fix in this old place!
rrh said:
We do cringe but more guests say "It seems like you've been doing this much longer"!
Right. I was not saying that as a put down, I was just saying that guests are shocked and say that "Oh you are just new to this" as they are surprised, they think we are at it forever and ever. :) We are not high occup like you, but DH with two jobs is wearing thin...it comes out in minor blow ups like "Where are those chives!" and we will find ourselves freaking out over something small and not even know why...then realize, it is the pressure and workload getting to us.
Gotta schedule time off to just be. Not work and fix and renovate. Just to be. (I say this to my self as much to anyone else).

Back