How many rooms does a B&B have? How many rooms does it take to make an Inn?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTLLodge

Reaction score
I would like to know when is a B&B no longer a B&B but an Inn? Could you have 6 rooms and still be a B&B? Even in 3 different cottages? Does it depend on where you are located? Also they (Zoning) are talking about going from residental to commercial Did anyone else need to do this?

Our town stipulated what size a B&B is here (uop to 5 rooms with owners living onsite IN the B&B). Altho we are technically called a boarding house AND a hotel since they do not have B&B in their verbiage.
Residential to commercial or a variance ie special use permit is typically required. Alos parking one space per room plus 1 1/2 for owners vehicles.
What did they give you? I mean, they have to have it printed somewhere to reference.

Zoning is the #1 priority for a B&B. Don't take anyones word for it. Cottages may even be trickier. We had to prove that it was not a separate residence, no kitchen, no way to ever LIVE in it. They don't want rentals or double residences on one property.

Our town stipulated what size a B&B is here (uop to 5 rooms with owners living onsite IN the B&B). Altho we are technically called a boarding house AND a hotel since they do not have B&B in their verbiage.
Residential to commercial or a variance ie special use permit is typically required. Alos parking one space per room plus 1 1/2 for owners vehicles.
What did they give you? I mean, they have to have it printed somewhere to reference..
This is a county in Missouri. We have 5 acres that we are building a house on now. One bedroom will be in the loft. I plan on converting the pavilian that we had the trailers under into the "bunk house" 3 bedrooms there. Then in a few years building another building with one to two bedrooms. What do you guys think? Is it still a B&B?

Depends on what your local ordinances say. We have specific definitions here for B&B homestay and B&B inn. Here, anything over 4 rooms is an inn and the owners do not have to live in the building but they're supposed to live in our historic district. Although we only have 5 rooms, we are licensed as a B&B Inn. Also allows us to host events. It's all how your local municipality writes the definition. If it's not currently on the books, you can certainly assist them.

In my town in particular it is 7 rooms for a B&B. After that you are considered 'commercial' and need all the commercial kitchen stuff.

What did they give you? I mean, they have to have it printed somewhere to reference..
This is a county in Missouri. We have 5 acres that we are building a house on now. One bedroom will be in the loft. I plan on converting the pavilian that we had the trailers under into the "bunk house" 3 bedrooms there. Then in a few years building another building with one to two bedrooms. What do you guys think? Is it still a B&B?
Check the County ordinances very carefully (State also) and get it in print. What it is going to be called is important, but knowing what the ordinances cover will help tell you what to call it.
Number of rooms will determine whether a commercial kitchen is required - in WV it is 6. Check Fire Codes also - they can bite you as well. Another consideration is that building codes requite sprinklers for new construction. A previously constructed building turned into a B & B is not required to have sprinklers. That is how it is here. Check in Missouri for how it is there.

Check the County ordinances very carefully (State also) and get it in print. What it is going to be called is important, but knowing what the ordinances cover will help tell you what to call it.
Number of rooms will determine whether a commercial kitchen is required - in WV it is 6. Check Fire Codes also - they can bite you as well. Another consideration is that building codes requite sprinklers for new construction. A previously constructed building turned into a B & B is not required to have sprinklers. That is how it is here. Check in Missouri for how it is there.
gillumhouse said:
I knew you guys would think of other things! Thanks! Boy am I glad I found all of you!

Back