How many rooms?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Olga. We started with two rooms. Our goal was to have the B&B pay the house expenses of insurance, taxes and utilities. After 4 years going on five, it does pay our taxes and insurance and about half the utiliities. This works for us because we did not intend to make the bulk of our living from B&B. We're simply too far off the beaten path. For me it's worth it. I still enjoy the work and look forward to guests. But we're dead in the winter so I get a good long rest. We added a vacation rental apartment last summer. Breakfast is optional and extra. Kids and dogs are OK there. They have their own key. More privacy for all. If last summer's rental rates are a good predictor for the future, it will take 7 years to pay back the costs of the renovation. That would be too long a payback for some, but we're good with it. Every situation is different. Get out your calculator and run varying scenarios. Seeing the possibilities in black and white really help with the decision making. While doing last year's taxes I ran across the original piece of paper where we measured out and designed the space. Very few changes from the original design and we've had good guest feedback. It was fun looking at that 'dream sheet' again. Best of luck in whatever you decide.
Edited to add: I have to agree with other comments about the bathroom. Due to space limitations, our guest rooms have showers only in their own baths. Most guests, Americans or from overseas, now expect a decently appointed private bath. We too have a clawfoot tub that we love, but it is in the room that is only for our personal guests.

Hi Olga. We started with two rooms. Our goal was to have the B&B pay the house expenses of insurance, taxes and utilities. After 4 years going on five, it does pay our taxes and insurance and about half the utiliities. This works for us because we did not intend to make the bulk of our living from B&B. We're simply too far off the beaten path. For me it's worth it. I still enjoy the work and look forward to guests. But we're dead in the winter so I get a good long rest. We added a vacation rental apartment last summer. Breakfast is optional and extra. Kids and dogs are OK there. They have their own key. More privacy for all. If last summer's rental rates are a good predictor for the future, it will take 7 years to pay back the costs of the renovation. That would be too long a payback for some, but we're good with it. Every situation is different. Get out your calculator and run varying scenarios. Seeing the possibilities in black and white really help with the decision making. While doing last year's taxes I ran across the original piece of paper where we measured out and designed the space. Very few changes from the original design and we've had good guest feedback. It was fun looking at that 'dream sheet' again. Best of luck in whatever you decide.
Edited to add: I have to agree with other comments about the bathroom. Due to space limitations, our guest rooms have showers only in their own baths. Most guests, Americans or from overseas, now expect a decently appointed private bath. We too have a clawfoot tub that we love, but it is in the room that is only for our personal guests..
Anon Inn said:
Edited to add: I have to agree with other comments about the bathroom. Due to space limitations, our guest rooms have showers only in their own baths. Most guests, Americans or from overseas, now expect a decently appointed private bath. We too have a clawfoot tub that we love, but it is in the room that is only for our personal guests.
Thank you for your feed back :)
I'm going to sit down and calculate different situations, and different renovations etc. etc., and see what I can come up with that suits my needs.
~Olga

Back