How many times do you attempt to contact guests?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
We have tried calling and emailing one guest about a problem with their reservation. It's been a week. The email bounces and we get a recorded message calling. Calls are not returned.
We got a reservation yesterday with a list of allergies as long as my arm. I replied back and asked them to please let us know if these foods (listed some things we will buy IF we have to) were ok for their consumption. No reply.
Another email through bandb.com requesting a room made me think the guest is thinking that's all she has to do- email a request. She was specific as to what she wanted, said thank you for your help and that was that. 2 separate emails to her and I have heard nothing back as to whether or not she understands she needs to call us or book online to insure she has a room. That what she did was just ask if rooms were available.
Other than the first one, the guests are expecting us to do some hoop-jumping but are not responding back with any kind of info to help us. How many times do I contact them without response before I say, 'Fine, you'll eat what I serve to hell with your allergies.' And, 'Sorry, you neglected to contact us so we did not reserve you a room even though your daughter is also staying here.' (Daughter was perfectly capable of logging onto the rez system and making a rez so not sure why mother went thru contortions on bandb.com to ask me to hold a room for her.
So, how many times and in what format do you attempt to contact guests who leave you hanging with problems? Do you give them a couple of days? Do you assume your email is in their spam folder and try again? Do you call multiple times?

"Based on your emails, the following will be served, if you have any issues then please let me know no later than x date"
Leave it in their hands and serve whatever you have stated.

Perhaps you could get in touch with the daughter and express your concerns and ask if she knows what her mother is thinking...

We have had three guests fill out our reservation requests and show up even though I emailed them immediately that the room was not available. Twice we managed to flip the room and take them anyway with the help of our innsitters (we don't take last minute bookings since they have almost always been problem guests) and the other time we found them another room - probably the last one available in town that day. They are clueless and don't read. I would expect them to show up from my experience.
But on the flip side, to my experience, we always walk these kinds of folks (cannot eat anything for whatever reason) past the cookie jar and offer a cookie. 99% will take it even though it contains everything they "can't" eat.
I'd have a copy of your email printed out and at the ready when / if they arrive and only offer what you emailed them.
RIki

Murphy's Law, if you are not expecting them, they will show. If you don't have special food on hand, they will need it. I'd be prepared.

Since you are aware that the daughter is staying there, I would make the attempt to contact the daughter both by phone & email and explain that she did not make a reservation and you can not hold a room for her without a credit card and deposit. Could be the daughter will ante up with her card, then send HER a confirmation for mom's stay.
Otherwise, the Mom does not have a reservation - period. If she does not go the distance, find someone else that will. In other words, don't hold a room when someone else will take it. If she shows and a room, may not be HER choice, is available fine otherwise her tough luck. As Forrest Gump says "stupid is as stupid does".
Since the allergy person did contact you by email, and you replied to that same email address you should assume that they received your email in their box. It could be they only check it every few days (or weeks in some cases) and they get back to you. If not, you tried - the ball is in their court. When someone has a lengthy list of no-nos, they should be forefront in providing expamples of what is OK. We can only try to provide, we are not restaurants (at least most of us).

Since you are aware that the daughter is staying there, I would make the attempt to contact the daughter both by phone & email and explain that she did not make a reservation and you can not hold a room for her without a credit card and deposit. Could be the daughter will ante up with her card, then send HER a confirmation for mom's stay.
Otherwise, the Mom does not have a reservation - period. If she does not go the distance, find someone else that will. In other words, don't hold a room when someone else will take it. If she shows and a room, may not be HER choice, is available fine otherwise her tough luck. As Forrest Gump says "stupid is as stupid does".
Since the allergy person did contact you by email, and you replied to that same email address you should assume that they received your email in their box. It could be they only check it every few days (or weeks in some cases) and they get back to you. If not, you tried - the ball is in their court. When someone has a lengthy list of no-nos, they should be forefront in providing expamples of what is OK. We can only try to provide, we are not restaurants (at least most of us)..
2 of the 3 have contacted us, 1 to cancel.

Back