how many towels, etc.?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinaruralinn

Reaction score
So, how many bath towels, hand towels, washcloths, bath mats, and anything else like that in the bathroom do you have? I mean in total, not in the bathroom at a given time (I've read opinions on that on here already). We will have rooms with King beds and rooms with two twins, if that matters.
I'm asking because we're working on a startup budget for the inn we're planning to open next year. We have price lists for items we'll need to purchase, but don't always know how units of each we'll need.
Thanks!!

Figure a mimimum of 2 sets of towels (bath, hand, cloth) x 3 per room and x 4 is better. I figured 1 set in room, 1 in laundry, and 1 on the shelf for just in case. The 4th sets would be in case of "I need more towels!" guests or just extra towels in the bathrooms.. And remember that set per room is 2 of each item.

In total? I buy towels in bulk- 36-48 bath towels at a time. Ditto the hand towels. Twice that for washcloths. Half that for bathmats. That's for 7 rooms. Your mileage may vary. What you have to consider is how often during a stay you will change out the towels, how long it will take to turn the dirty towels over in the wash, how humid it is where you are (affects drying time and may mean more frequent changeovers) and, what is expected by the guests you will have.

How fascinating. Do you think you will have primarily Chinese or western guests? Some of our guests seem to need a new towel every day, some are happy with hanging the towel up and using it for several days. It might also matter how humid your area is--Will a towel dry overnight? If not, you may need to consider how often you will be able to launder towels because you then would need to consider fresh towels every day. As Gillum says, a rule of thumb especially for bedsheets is one set in the room, one in the laundry and one on the shelf.
I have 4 towels, 3 hand towels, 6 washcloths and one bathmat in each 2 person room. It gives guests a feeling that they'll never run out of anything. Honestly, I only keep about half that many of each on the shelf and end up doing laundry pretty much every day when all the rooms are in use.
Also, there are pros and cons to either all white towels or colored towels, so think about which you prefer. Some acne products will bleach the color out of towels, and even though I provide inexpensive washcloths that are supposed to be used for makeup removal I can't tell you the hours I've spent removing makeup from my good white washcloths, hand towels and even bath towels. You should order lots of washcloths especially if they are less expensive with a larger order, because they get stained more often, and consider less expensive washcloths so you can replace them when they are stained beyond repair.
Welcome to the forum. Try to read as many of the old topics as you have time for. Please continue to ask questions, and let us know how your adventure continues.

Thanks for all the tips! To answer some of the questions re: our specific scenario, we expect primarily western guests, mostly European and Australian (I'm American so having to research those expectations/preferences). We have a hot rainy season and a cold dry season, so towels will line-dry in 1-1.5 days almost all of the year (when they won't is our very coldest time of year when we'll probably close). Thanks for the tips on extra washcloths... I don't wear makeup myself and wouldn't have thought about that kind of staining!

And (is it better to start a new thread on this forum or keep asking questions here?)... what about bedroom linens? I've searched a lot here and read that it's typical to have 3 sets of sheets per bed (just like some of you mentioned here). What about pillowcases?
It's typical here for a King bed to have two pillows, a bottom sheet (not usually fitted but we'll probably go with fitted anyway), and a duvet in a duvet cover. We probably want to add a flat sheet on the bed. The room usually has two additional pillows and a blanket or two in a cabinet or closet. Does that sound about right? So how many TOTAL do you need (pillowcases, duvet covers... and do you have spare pillows, duvets, or blankets?) if that's how many you have in the room at a time?
Thanks again!!!

make ALL your linen and towels either WHITE or CREAM- all should be one color and one make-don't make the mistake of getting different color or texture towels or different sheets for different rooms-keep them white or cream.
Also-duvets are a pain, i would stick with beadspreads of quilts-thats just me though...

And (is it better to start a new thread on this forum or keep asking questions here?)... what about bedroom linens? I've searched a lot here and read that it's typical to have 3 sets of sheets per bed (just like some of you mentioned here). What about pillowcases?
It's typical here for a King bed to have two pillows, a bottom sheet (not usually fitted but we'll probably go with fitted anyway), and a duvet in a duvet cover. We probably want to add a flat sheet on the bed. The room usually has two additional pillows and a blanket or two in a cabinet or closet. Does that sound about right? So how many TOTAL do you need (pillowcases, duvet covers... and do you have spare pillows, duvets, or blankets?) if that's how many you have in the room at a time?
Thanks again!!!.
Usually it's better to ask separate questions in separate threads just so you can find the answers again later on!
We buy our sheets in sets- one flat sheet, one fitted sheet, 2 pillowcases. Then I buy an extra set of pillowcases for each sheet set. Sometimes it is necessary to change out pillowcases before I would change the sheets for guests staying multiple nights.
We also have duvets, but then have a blanket and a quilt with that. In the summer the duvet goes into storage and it's just the quilt & blanket on top.
Right now I have about 20 sets for 7 queen beds. I have 4 sets for the king bed and 9 sets for 2 twin beds (we used to have more twin beds).
I have 4 extra blankets. 16 extra pillow covers (that way I can change them out without having to wait for the old ones to go thru the wash).
The way I do the extra wash is to pick a time where there are not a lot of incoming guests and I wash the quilts. Next day I do as many of the blankets as there were beds used, following day the others and so on.
I also have backups for the mattress pads.

China, my suggestion is to have the same size beds so you won't need as many sets of linens/sheets, then if something happens you can always move them around. What is your demographic? I have a good friend who is in China currently, and travels around via 24 hours on train and into bordering countries. There are a lot of Irish and Aussies he works with there.

Thanks again!!!.
I try to have 2 EXTRA sets of pillowcases per set of sheets. I iron pillowcases (NOT SHEETS). If I have not made an appointment with the dreaded ironing board AND if guests have used the extra pillows there are more pillowcases used and in need of ironing and needing new pillowcases put on the extra pillows. (I have gone months without guests using the extra pillows and then will have a run where every guest uses them. I have 2 extra pillows in the dressers in each guestroom.) I iind of look at pillowcases like money - you never have too much.

I would go with the same bedlinen for all cos you can guarantee that if there is one set you need then that will be in the wash! Im not a believer in making life hard for yourself trying to match up sheet sets when a toilet had expoloded you've got a bunch of check ins and 100 other things to do is one less thing you can do with out!

Not enough towels is my BIGGEST pet peeve! I would recommend a minimum of 2 hand towels, 2 washcloths, and 2 bath towels per per person in the bathroom. I have 3 sets of sheets for each bed and extra pillowcases and lots of extra pillow covers. I also keep extra blankets on hand for emergencies.

We normally give each guest three towels, a facecloth, a hand towel and a bath towel. There is a mat for the shower and a hand towel hanging in the bathroom. So for two guests there are 7 towels and a bath mat.
Women sometimes request an extra towel for their hair. And then there was the guy who wanted 4 extra because he had OCD and kept on needing to shower.

Not enough towels is my BIGGEST pet peeve! I would recommend a minimum of 2 hand towels, 2 washcloths, and 2 bath towels per per person in the bathroom. I have 3 sets of sheets for each bed and extra pillowcases and lots of extra pillow covers. I also keep extra blankets on hand for emergencies..
Thank you for the correction. Yes, I do have 2 towels per guest, plus 1 cloth each and a hand towel each hanging AND I have a "boatload" of extra towels/cloths, etc in a basket in the shared bath and on a shelf in the "pass-through" from room to bathroom in the ensuite (it used to be the closet - took wall out and now closet on each side of the passage.).

make ALL your linen and towels either WHITE or CREAM- all should be one color and one make-don't make the mistake of getting different color or texture towels or different sheets for different rooms-keep them white or cream.
Also-duvets are a pain, i would stick with beadspreads of quilts-thats just me though....
Thanks for the tips on colors. I've never actually even seen anything but duvets where we are... I can quilt but very slowly!

China, my suggestion is to have the same size beds so you won't need as many sets of linens/sheets, then if something happens you can always move them around. What is your demographic? I have a good friend who is in China currently, and travels around via 24 hours on train and into bordering countries. There are a lot of Irish and Aussies he works with there..
So you're saying not to have Kings and twins? Our demographic is backpacking travellers (Europeans & Aussies) who usually travel in pairs (like two guy friends) and will probably want two twins in their room, as well as expats (large expat population 1.5hr from here in a big city, often complain there's nowhere in the countryside to retreat to -- that'll be us!!) who tend to be either a married couple (what we're thinking the King for) or families with a few young children. We'll have 12-14 rooms total though, and hired housekeeping help.

Thanks for all the advice! Does anyone have spare pillows not kept in the room in case of an accident?

Thanks for all the advice! Does anyone have spare pillows not kept in the room in case of an accident?.
I have 3 or 4 pillows in my storage room in case I get someone allergic to feathers. All the extra pillows are fiberfill. 2 rooms have feathers/down and one room is "feather/down-free.

Thanks again!!!.
Usually it's better to ask separate questions in separate threads just so you can find the answers again later on!
We buy our sheets in sets- one flat sheet, one fitted sheet, 2 pillowcases. Then I buy an extra set of pillowcases for each sheet set. Sometimes it is necessary to change out pillowcases before I would change the sheets for guests staying multiple nights.
We also have duvets, but then have a blanket and a quilt with that. In the summer the duvet goes into storage and it's just the quilt & blanket on top.
Right now I have about 20 sets for 7 queen beds. I have 4 sets for the king bed and 9 sets for 2 twin beds (we used to have more twin beds).
I have 4 extra blankets. 16 extra pillow covers (that way I can change them out without having to wait for the old ones to go thru the wash).
The way I do the extra wash is to pick a time where there are not a lot of incoming guests and I wash the quilts. Next day I do as many of the blankets as there were beds used, following day the others and so on.
Thanks! Making sure I understand on the pillowcases, how many pillows do you have in each room?

Thanks again!!!.
Thanks! Making sure I understand on the pillowcases, how many pillows do you have in each room?
chinaruralinn said:
4 pillows for each bed. Some beds also have the decorative pillows in shams. (2 pillows for the twin beds)

Back