How many will you tell?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
Surfside's thread about being "new" owners got me to thinking...how many of your repeat or regular guests do you think you'll notify when you're leaving your Inn? I know our PO's had an extensive list that they notified, plus a smaller list of more personal type friends who got a more personal letter.
Honestly, I imagine us peeling out of the driveway cartoon style, am I really going to announce that I'm leaving? Maybe a handful, but even that is doubtful. These folks are my customers, they are not my personal friends (though I guess quite a few think they are). Has anyone thought about how they will handle this?

What I would like to do is to send out a joint email newsletter to those of our guests who get the newsletter (short list, the ones who keep coming back or who have signed up to get it) to say goodbye to them and introduce the new owners to them.
I think it would really help the new owners to get the 'seal of approval' from the departing innkeepers. Just because of what so many have said- guests who return LIKE the innkeepers. (Around here anyway. There are so many options for B&B's here that repeats like the innkeepers or they move on. It certainly happened to us.)
It's respectful to let them know there's a change of command and that they will have a great experience with new owners. I bet the new owners have less grief with a glowing recommendation than those who are fielding innumerable 'so what are the old innkeepers doing now' questions.
It's not a hotel here. It's a personal experience. We're not best buddies with a lot of our guests but I am certainly going to miss knowing quite a lot of them. Especially the kids we've watched grow up from year to year.
But I think it is blind-siding the new owners to tell the guests we're leaving without introducing them. And I would feel like I was slighting guests we really like to not tell them and say goodbye.
We had a few guests tell us they knew there would be new owners the next time they came but the ones who didn't know were really hurt.

What I would like to do is to send out a joint email newsletter to those of our guests who get the newsletter (short list, the ones who keep coming back or who have signed up to get it) to say goodbye to them and introduce the new owners to them.
I think it would really help the new owners to get the 'seal of approval' from the departing innkeepers. Just because of what so many have said- guests who return LIKE the innkeepers. (Around here anyway. There are so many options for B&B's here that repeats like the innkeepers or they move on. It certainly happened to us.)
It's respectful to let them know there's a change of command and that they will have a great experience with new owners. I bet the new owners have less grief with a glowing recommendation than those who are fielding innumerable 'so what are the old innkeepers doing now' questions.
It's not a hotel here. It's a personal experience. We're not best buddies with a lot of our guests but I am certainly going to miss knowing quite a lot of them. Especially the kids we've watched grow up from year to year.
But I think it is blind-siding the new owners to tell the guests we're leaving without introducing them. And I would feel like I was slighting guests we really like to not tell them and say goodbye.
We had a few guests tell us they knew there would be new owners the next time they came but the ones who didn't know were really hurt..
I hadn't thought of it from that angle at all (helping out the new innkeepers). Our PO's certainly didn't mention us! But that is a good thing to do, but AFTER I'm gone!

A B&B that changed hands not long ago the PO's did a page on their web site felt that was a good idea ie we are moving on to blah but are happy to present Mr & Mrs X who will be looking after our baby from now on etc. know plently of places round me that when sold just went here's the keys and best of luck and literally ran out the door guests looking on!

I am planning to stay here in town and will be willing IF ASKED to help the new owners when that happens. I will definitely notify the "old" guests to let them know their beds are still here with wonderful new people to welcome them. I will also do whatever I possibly can to keep the stabling available - they do it now because I started using their stable to help their son (and me of course) and he has now left the farm.

When I go, I'll haunt the old place. New owners can tell guests, "That odd cold wind? That's just old Tom, the Previous Owner. Nice and harmless enough, unless you were to go smoking in the rooms! Then," she crosses herself, "then, it's horrible."

Back