How much damage will you tolerate before you start charging for it?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River Wren

Reaction score
Bloody sheets? Bloody Towels? Bloody mattress pads? I would not generally charge a guest for things like this, but how much is too much?
I just checked out a "famous" person. Well know artist who was in my most expensive suite. He paid extra for a late departure and paid in cash.
When the housekeeper went up to turn around the room she rang me to come up and see for myself.
The comforter and white cotton blanket were off the bed in a heap on the floor. The sheets were bloody all the way down to the mattress pad. The Vintage decorative pillows (Ivory of course) were bloody. Diddo with the towels and the jacuzzi had blood clots on the bottom of the tub.
Just DISGUSTING!
Would you charge for this or let it go. He paid 75 extra for the room as it is.

How on earth did he get that much blood on everything? I would charge wouldn't think twice as if someone for example spills something and comes straight to me so I can get something on it then I don't charge if they try and clean it and make it worce or leave it to get dry then they will get charged. Little things for example they miss the bin (trash can) with the tea bag and it gets on the carpet I will let slide as it is geunily an accident but more serious stuff I wouldn't think twice. I also make sure it is in your terms and conditions that if there is damage you will be charged and then they have agreed to it in advance if they try and challenge it you have it all set that they agreed to it.

How on earth did he get that much blood on everything? I would charge wouldn't think twice as if someone for example spills something and comes straight to me so I can get something on it then I don't charge if they try and clean it and make it worce or leave it to get dry then they will get charged. Little things for example they miss the bin (trash can) with the tea bag and it gets on the carpet I will let slide as it is geunily an accident but more serious stuff I wouldn't think twice. I also make sure it is in your terms and conditions that if there is damage you will be charged and then they have agreed to it in advance if they try and challenge it you have it all set that they agreed to it..
He wasn't the perpetrator per se, but his companion. It must have been her time of the month....high tide lf you will.
rolleyes.gif

How on earth did he get that much blood on everything? I would charge wouldn't think twice as if someone for example spills something and comes straight to me so I can get something on it then I don't charge if they try and clean it and make it worce or leave it to get dry then they will get charged. Little things for example they miss the bin (trash can) with the tea bag and it gets on the carpet I will let slide as it is geunily an accident but more serious stuff I wouldn't think twice. I also make sure it is in your terms and conditions that if there is damage you will be charged and then they have agreed to it in advance if they try and challenge it you have it all set that they agreed to it..
Sheesh I don't know. Bloody bed linens could be an accident, but bloody towels are not. That was misuse.
RIki

Cost of doing business. Yes, it is more cleaning and perhaps the towels, etc are not salvageable, but stuff happens.
And I say this as someone who went thru a 'period' in time where I was totally embarrassed to go anywhere, never knowing how bad it was going to get, afraid to go to sleep even at home, didn't want to use anyone else's linens, etc. That I was not charged for what looked like a crime scene has always remained with me as the graciousness and understanding of the innkeepers.

I agree that, to a point, it's the cost of doing business. With a lot of extra work, the towels and sheets might be okay. I think I would have to consider charging for the comforter and the pillows. How in the world do you get that much blood on a comforter, unless it was underneath you, and same question for the pillows? I would phone them and say "Thank you again for your stay, however, I have done my very best to remove the stains from the linens and pillows and unfortunately, am going to have to replace them. This is not a normal cost of cleaning, and I'll need to charge your credit card for the replacement items."
I can't imagine someone leaving here and not telling me of such a significant problem. Embarassing, yes. But most guests will risk embarassment to avoid being rude. What they did is rude.

Take photos. Charge the cc on file and email the photos with statement/recpt to him. If you have a damage statement he signed, or policies page or anything, make sure that is on there as well.
The photos might make him NOT debate it.
This is not the cost of doing business, jeepers creepers, this is disgusting, charge his
potty-mouth.gif

I agree that, to a point, it's the cost of doing business. With a lot of extra work, the towels and sheets might be okay. I think I would have to consider charging for the comforter and the pillows. How in the world do you get that much blood on a comforter, unless it was underneath you, and same question for the pillows? I would phone them and say "Thank you again for your stay, however, I have done my very best to remove the stains from the linens and pillows and unfortunately, am going to have to replace them. This is not a normal cost of cleaning, and I'll need to charge your credit card for the replacement items."
I can't imagine someone leaving here and not telling me of such a significant problem. Embarassing, yes. But most guests will risk embarassment to avoid being rude. What they did is rude..
The comforter & pillow, yes, charge for that. Those things should not have been 'in harm's way'.
About the embarrassment...until it has happened to you, believe me, it is way easier to be 'rude' than explain to the innkeeper (in front of other guests) what has happened. In my case, the innkeepers were barely present and I had no idea where to find them after breakfast (and I was NOT bringing it up at the breakfast table). Right now you have a good idea what happened with me and to have to explain that was more than I could do.

To be honest this is a fact of nature and one that some have dificulty with during extreme times. - Part of doing business which is why you have a matress pad on the bed (TG) to protect further damage.
It sounds like they removed the comforter and blanket and they are not stained? The vintage pillows must have been used and had gotten in the way. (Side bar - why do people use these items - they know it is decorative???
Before you contact them, as Camberley stated, is there notice of the responsibiity of damges in their documents - where they would have agreed to be responsiblie? I noticed that you stated they paid cash, but if you have a CC on file and try to use it for this purpose you need to be able to prove they agreed to this. If you do not have this agreement, then you will need to contact them personally (or by mail) to ask for reimbersment. Did you take photos before cleaning?

Sheesh if this happened we would leave $100 on the bureau not just walk away. Charge his
potty-mouth.gif

Stuff does happen, spill a bottle of red wine, pay for it. "You break it you pay for it"

I can't imagine someone leaving here and not telling me of such a significant problem. Embarassing, yes. But most guests will risk embarassment to avoid being rude. What they did is rude..
The comforter & pillow, yes, charge for that. Those things should not have been 'in harm's way'.
About the embarrassment...until it has happened to you, believe me, it is way easier to be 'rude' than explain to the innkeeper (in front of other guests) what has happened. In my case, the innkeepers were barely present and I had no idea where to find them after breakfast (and I was NOT bringing it up at the breakfast table). Right now you have a good idea what happened with me and to have to explain that was more than I could do.
Of course you would not do this in front of other guests. But I'm under the impression that RW was present when they checked out, and anyone with manners and respect would have pulled the innkeeper aside and quietly said "I had a pretty bad accident in the room, and did my best to clean it up. I'm so sorry, and please let me know how I can reimburse you for your troubles or replacing the damaged items." That's what a normal person would do, not slink away and let someone just find it.
I apolgize if I offended you - it sounds as though your situation was a bit different in that the innkeeper was not present.

Yup. charge it. the cost of the stuff, labor etc is straight out of your profit.
I do understand the embarashing part, but also really don't like finding out after they left.
Bo

this does not sound to me like a monthly ... not even a horrendous monthly. this sounds to me like someone ill ... coughing up blood or losing blood in copious amounts ... especially with the clotting ... something. i was just listening to a radio interview with a famous pianist describing his troubles ... sounded so similar
in any case, pictures to document and an email or call or letter that you must charge for additional cleaning, i sure hope you have that in your policies. many stains will come out ... some will only fade ... but so much staining? as someone said ... a normal, respectful person would have spoken to you aside and said there'd been a problem.

He wasn't the perpetrator per se, but his companion. It must have been her time of the month....high tide lf you will.
rolleyes.gif

This can also be from cutting. I raised 6 girls and have never seen that much of a mess from monthly issues, except from my one foster son who was a cutter. Sad to think about, but it could be the case. And I would charge for either replacement or extra cleaning expenses, whichever is necessary. Guest will know exactly why!

rolleyes.gif

This can also be from cutting. I raised 6 girls and have never seen that much of a mess from monthly issues, except from my one foster son who was a cutter. Sad to think about, but it could be the case. And I would charge for either replacement or extra cleaning expenses, whichever is necessary. Guest will know exactly why!
BTW, I use Adolph's meat tenderizer with water and make a paste as a first response on blood stains. The enzymes dissolve the blood proteins.

Of course you would not do this in front of other guests. But I'm under the impression that RW was present when they checked out, and anyone with manners and respect would have pulled the innkeeper aside and quietly said "I had a pretty bad accident in the room, and did my best to clean it up. I'm so sorry, and please let me know how I can reimburse you for your troubles or replacing the damaged items." That's what a normal person would do, not slink away and let someone just find it.
I apolgize if I offended you - it sounds as though your situation was a bit different in that the innkeeper was not present.
We had a guest do exactly what you suggest. Guest was recuperating from outpatient surgery one night which turned into 2 before returning home which would have been quite a drive back to the MD if there was a problem (which there was). Despite the waterproof hospital pads that they'd been discharged with, the sheets did look like a crime scene. They came to me very highly embarrassed, apologized, and offered to pay for the linens. I charged them about 75% of the original cost of the set and they guest was actually quite relieved to do that. Fortunately, the towels were OK.

rolleyes.gif

BTW, I use Adolph's meat tenderizer with water and make a paste as a first response on blood stains. The enzymes dissolve the blood proteins.
Thanks for that info. I always have Adolph's on hand but never thought to use it on blood stains! I'll add it to my arsenal of cleaning tips!

rolleyes.gif

Pollyanna said:
That is good information. I will put that on my shopping list. Thanks for the tip.

We were able to salvage everything but one towel. The more I think about it, the more things run through my head.
First off, he is well known in the art circles and when I recognized him, he asked me to not say anything because he was trying to getaway and relax. He did not want to be noticed.
Sencondly, his companion was a stunning Asian woman who arrived and departed separately in a Mercedes Coupe with a NY plate. She was expensively dressed. Her hair was meticulously put up with ivory & jade combs in elegant sweeping swags. My impression of her was someone who was dressed to play a part on stage.
She left before he did. Never said a word. Maybe I watch too much TV or something, but I can't help but wonder if he had some type of fetish and bought himself some blood sport or something? That would be really upsetting to me because we are not that kind of place. We are a family friendly mountain lodge.

I don't know about sports of that nature however if it was me I would have cleared things out of the line of fire so to speak if it was a high tide situation then I bet what happened was they did automatically what they would do at home and grabbed towels and tried to clean up which actually made the problem worce. People don't think when they are in a panic. Mind you I had an incident in a hotel where I used to work where the customer was on warfrin which is a blood thinning medicin and when you start bleeding it takes a long time to stop. The chap started with a nose bleed in the night and it went on for 3 hours when I came in in the morning and the night porter told me I straight away called an ambulance and they came and took him away straight away and he had to go to the big city hospital to get it stopped. In that case it looked like a crime scene but bless them as the paramedics were packing him into the ambulance she was telling me how she was going to wash all the sheets and stuff. I was like Just Get in the Ambulance!!! so there is benefit of the doubt to be had.

Back