How much do you work?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowSocks

Reaction score
When you are in full-tilt, highest peak of your peak season, with your craziest schedule, and with the most check-ins and flips, how many hours would you estimate (loosely) that you average in a typical week, like say Sunday through Saturday or Monday through Sunday, whatever....
=)
Kk.

We are in it now...and it is averaging 100 hours per week for each of us. This has made us more appreciative of the month of January than we ever thought we could be!!!

This is the time I am 'on' as in I am fully dressed and ready to go, but I may actually be sitting down checking in here...close to 90 hours. It will be less actual WORK this year, with help, but I'm still here if guests need me so I'm not 'off'. Same for hubs.

I try not to think about it! Last year high season, over 100 hours a week (each). Not good my friends...not doing that again! Scheduling time this time! It's those mid week one nighters 5 days a week that are the killer.

OK, I feel better now, THANKS!!
I'm over 90 hours in the past seven days, and was worried I was being inefficient or something.
=)
Kk.

I'm over 90 hours in the past seven days, and was worried I was being inefficient or something.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Don't forget you're stuffing childcare in that mix! However, if you feel like you're headed down the wrong path, maybe take a look at what you're doing and try to cut out some unnecessary things. Where's your helper?

I do not dare track it or I would go nutso. Besides the B & B I am catering to my Master's voice - who seems to know just when I have sat down or possibliy am drifting off for a quick nap in my office chair. Bad day today.

Actually, I don't feel like I'm down the wrong path, and my dh has been pretty helpful. But he says if I have time to attend my nephew's little league game then I didn't work THAT hard yesterday. Um, hello? Work all day, shop for fruit, sit and eat a little dinner for 45 mins at the game, then back home and back at it... sounds more like a lunch break to me.
I'm lovin' it, really. I even called TB yesterday to get her Sausage Braid recipe again since I lost my copy. (OK, it was really a lame excuse to call her, but it was fun...) Then stayed up late making a huge bunch of them for the freezer so some other morning I'll be all set for breakfast.
I guess I just wanted some affirmation that this was normal (as well as a reiteration for aspirings). This coming week we have no bookings (so far, here's hoping!) so my hours will be cut back a bit.
teeth_smile.gif

=)
Kk.

The B&B probably takes about 24 hours a week depending on if we get mid-week guest or not. Our 72 acres, 6 buildings, bookkeeping, community stuff takes the rest of the week. We do get days off and we should. We're supposed to be retired.

I had two incidents this week where my housekeepers missed something and it ended up costing me with irritated guests...the first was a woman who left a message on the Inn phone at 7 pm on Thursday that she had no Kleenex in her room...we had gone to visit relatives that day and didn't get back until after 9 pm, I didn't think she'd want me banging on the door that late just for Kleenex (I know there was ample TP in the room so at least she had SOMETHING) but they were really miffed the next morning. I felt badly, but honestly, Kleenex? It's not exactly life or death. Plus, she said there was one tissue left in the box that morning and housekeeping didn't change it...umm...they won't change it unless they see it empty (we have decorative box covers, so there's no way to tell how many are in the box if there's at least one peeking up)...if it was that important she could have taken the last one and left the empty box...it definitely would have been replaced. Also, the room next to her was not occupied, door was wide open, she could have tipped in and taken what she needed...anyway...
Second person was just yesterday, bath towels got replaced but not hand towels and washcloths...they left us a note, we put the stuff in their room while they were at dinner, she still acted the next morning like it was a major inconvenience.
It's hard when you feel like you are giving it your all (over 100 hours/week) and something like this can fall through the cracks and "ruin" someone's stay. Nothing we can do but try to improve.

I had two incidents this week where my housekeepers missed something and it ended up costing me with irritated guests...the first was a woman who left a message on the Inn phone at 7 pm on Thursday that she had no Kleenex in her room...we had gone to visit relatives that day and didn't get back until after 9 pm, I didn't think she'd want me banging on the door that late just for Kleenex (I know there was ample TP in the room so at least she had SOMETHING) but they were really miffed the next morning. I felt badly, but honestly, Kleenex? It's not exactly life or death. Plus, she said there was one tissue left in the box that morning and housekeeping didn't change it...umm...they won't change it unless they see it empty (we have decorative box covers, so there's no way to tell how many are in the box if there's at least one peeking up)...if it was that important she could have taken the last one and left the empty box...it definitely would have been replaced. Also, the room next to her was not occupied, door was wide open, she could have tipped in and taken what she needed...anyway...
Second person was just yesterday, bath towels got replaced but not hand towels and washcloths...they left us a note, we put the stuff in their room while they were at dinner, she still acted the next morning like it was a major inconvenience.
It's hard when you feel like you are giving it your all (over 100 hours/week) and something like this can fall through the cracks and "ruin" someone's stay. Nothing we can do but try to improve..
InnsiderInfo said:
It's hard when you feel like you are giving it your all (over 100 hours/week) and something like this can fall through the cracks and "ruin" someone's stay. Nothing we can do but try to improve.
We had something similar happen. We had a bereaved guest who, during a two night stay, went through the tp in the holder, the two rolls left in reserve, and the box of tissues. She acted like it was our fault that she ran out and seemed really miffed that she had to ask for more.

Too many hours when we are full. Best thing I did was hire someone to help with the housework part-time. I still work pretty dang hard but it lessens the load. I think there is a BIG difference if there are two full-time innkeepers working vs. one person out of the couple working in another full-time job outside the inn. BIG difference.
I am soooooooooooooooo far behind on paperwork, it's not pretty....

It's hard when you feel like you are giving it your all (over 100 hours/week) and something like this can fall through the cracks and "ruin" someone's stay. Nothing we can do but try to improve..
Wow, no Kleenex and no handtowels and the stay is ruined? Those folks need a life.

Is Kleenex really a nescesity in a room? Can't they just use toilet paper?.
I appreciate it as a guest. I have a box of tissues in each bathroom & also in the guestrooms. No one has made off with them yet either.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
I do have to remind my part-time innkeeper to check them though. I have a written check-list but she says she doesn't need it and then she forgets things
confused_smile.gif

oh dear, we all work too much, don'tcha think?
I am working basically alone here with two 15 year old boys who need to be prodded to help me out with dirty linens, mowing 6 of our 11 acres, etc. This year they're a little more helpful.
I am here for the guests and clean all cottages myself because it is almost impossible to find help that will come to work in a consitent pattern. Unreal.
however, I have a housekeeper who takes care of my house.
So, my work day starts at 7 am and doesn't stop until 11 PM. Yes, there are a couple of hours while they are all at the beach but the phone never stops ringing, there are always people stopping by to chat or to check out the cottages "for next time" and the flowers need tending and, and and.
I am not going to count how many hours that is per week. I would have a nervous breakdown.
yikes I am tired and high season starts this Wednesday and won't let up until late October. Thank goodness I am closed from November until mid April

DH's parents are here for the weekend and M-I-L in the gardener in chief here...she is SO wonderful! Yesterday while we were off on a special tour with the guests, she planted annuals, weeded beds and did major pruning. She is worth her weight in GOLD! All she wants in return is to be fed and get to spend time with the dog.

I am working basically alone here with two 15 year old boys who need to be prodded to help me out with dirty linens, mowing 6 of our 11 acres, etc. This year they're a little more helpful.
I am here for the guests and clean all cottages myself because it is almost impossible to find help that will come to work in a consitent pattern. Unreal.
So, my work day starts at 7 am and doesn't stop until 11 PM. Yes, there are a couple of hours while they are all at the beach but the phone never stops ringing, there are always people stopping by to chat or to check out the cottages "for next time" and the flowers need tending and, and and.
I am not going to count how many hours that is per week. I would have a nervous breakdown.
yikes I am tired and high season starts this Wednesday and won't let up until late October. Thank goodness I am closed from November until mid April.
You clean 10 cottages by yourself? Yowza!

yikes I am tired and high season starts this Wednesday and won't let up until late October. Thank goodness I am closed from November until mid April.
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
yikes I am tired and high season starts this Wednesday and won't let up until late October. Thank goodness I am closed from November until mid April
I think you're very smart not to count.
And, I suppose, if I am going to count the peak season, then maybe I should figure out what it averages to over the course of the entire year, including when we're empty and sleeping in and doing stuff with our kids.
=)
Kk.

I do not think of the hours it takes to do things around here...I am blessed not having to leave home to work. Yes, it gets to me from time to time but I keep reminding myself of what my life was before then all seems to melt away. Past work associates say I look younger than I did 10 years ago, I know I 'work' more hours than ever but not nearly as stressful (even with the occasional PITA)
The following was posted by a friend on my facebook page today....
"I am so fortunate to have the job that I do. It's more of a personal mission than a 'job'. It is said that if you love what you do then you never work a day in your life. I haven't worked in a long time!"

Back