How much do you work?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not think of the hours it takes to do things around here...I am blessed not having to leave home to work. Yes, it gets to me from time to time but I keep reminding myself of what my life was before then all seems to melt away. Past work associates say I look younger than I did 10 years ago, I know I 'work' more hours than ever but not nearly as stressful (even with the occasional PITA)
The following was posted by a friend on my facebook page today....
"I am so fortunate to have the job that I do. It's more of a personal mission than a 'job'. It is said that if you love what you do then you never work a day in your life. I haven't worked in a long time!".
A little boy asked me one morning if I liked my job. I told him if it was a job, I probably would not but it is something that I love to do so it is not a job. I do think he understood what I said too

oh dear, we all work too much, don'tcha think?
I am working basically alone here with two 15 year old boys who need to be prodded to help me out with dirty linens, mowing 6 of our 11 acres, etc. This year they're a little more helpful.
I am here for the guests and clean all cottages myself because it is almost impossible to find help that will come to work in a consitent pattern. Unreal.
however, I have a housekeeper who takes care of my house.
So, my work day starts at 7 am and doesn't stop until 11 PM. Yes, there are a couple of hours while they are all at the beach but the phone never stops ringing, there are always people stopping by to chat or to check out the cottages "for next time" and the flowers need tending and, and and.
I am not going to count how many hours that is per week. I would have a nervous breakdown.
yikes I am tired and high season starts this Wednesday and won't let up until late October. Thank goodness I am closed from November until mid April.
You clean 10 cottages by yourself? Yowza!
Yes, but I should qualify that. I do NOT clean every cottage every day. I only clean after the guest has checked out. We rent our cottages from any day to any day with the average stay being 4 days. It takes some juggling not to book too many to check in and out on one day. I like to stagger it a bit to make it easier on myself. Still, some days, when I make a booboo and book too many such days. that's when I want to lay on fthe front lawn and die.
I try to avoid groups for that reason, but sometimes that is difficult to turn down when business is light.
The older I get, the harder this becomes. I was thinking of hiring a school girl this summer and training her to do some of the things, like vacuming which I hate, lol.

DH's parents are here for the weekend and M-I-L in the gardener in chief here...she is SO wonderful! Yesterday while we were off on a special tour with the guests, she planted annuals, weeded beds and did major pruning. She is worth her weight in GOLD! All she wants in return is to be fed and get to spend time with the dog..
How lucky you are to have a helpful MIL. I can count on mine as well. What special tour did you get to do with your guests?

I do not think of the hours it takes to do things around here...I am blessed not having to leave home to work. Yes, it gets to me from time to time but I keep reminding myself of what my life was before then all seems to melt away. Past work associates say I look younger than I did 10 years ago, I know I 'work' more hours than ever but not nearly as stressful (even with the occasional PITA)
The following was posted by a friend on my facebook page today....
"I am so fortunate to have the job that I do. It's more of a personal mission than a 'job'. It is said that if you love what you do then you never work a day in your life. I haven't worked in a long time!".
Very true - all of what you said. At least we are our own boss, I love most of my guests. They have become friends and it is always fun to meet new ones. And even the occasional PITA is fun, without them, we would not have anything to talk about, or not much anyway
wink_smile.gif

YellowSocks said:
When you are in full-tilt, highest peak of your peak season, with your craziest schedule, and with the most check-ins and flips, how many hours would you estimate (loosely) that you average in a typical week, like say Sunday through Saturday or Monday through Sunday, whatever....
=)
Kk.
I can't tell because I work during the week 7:30 - 5. I get off 12noon on Fridays and come home and do the flowers and if they want chocolate strawberries do them. Saturday morning I cook with DH and we both fluff the rooms when they leave. We are moving into Summer so we both drive wine tours 1 - 5:30 and then go to Mexian for dinner. Sunday we both cook breakfast and if there is a tour he drives and I have the rest of the day for my "off" day. He can make his during the week inbetween tours and occasional weekday bookings. I did not get yesterday off though, because it was the first sunny day and DH had to grab it to spray the vineyard so I drove a wine tour. Got a tip so we went out to a nice dinner though.
RIki

YellowSocks said:
When you are in full-tilt, highest peak of your peak season, with your craziest schedule, and with the most check-ins and flips, how many hours would you estimate (loosely) that you average in a typical week, like say Sunday through Saturday or Monday through Sunday, whatever....
=)
Kk.
I can't tell because I work during the week 7:30 - 5. I get off 12noon on Fridays and come home and do the flowers and if they want chocolate strawberries do them. Saturday morning I cook with DH and we both fluff the rooms when they leave. We are moving into Summer so we both drive wine tours 1 - 5:30 and then go to Mexian for dinner. Sunday we both cook breakfast and if there is a tour he drives and I have the rest of the day for my "off" day. He can make his during the week inbetween tours and occasional weekday bookings. I did not get yesterday off though, because it was the first sunny day and DH had to grab it to spray the vineyard so I drove a wine tour. Got a tip so we went out to a nice dinner though.
RIki
O.K., everyone in this thread. Take your stated time of work and subtract at least 8 hours for the time you're on this forum per week and that is your actual time worked.
But now that I think of it, how many other little time wasters do we each have in the course of a day?

YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
RIki
O.K., everyone in this thread. Take your stated time of work and subtract at least 8 hours for the time you're on this forum per week and that is your actual time worked.
But now that I think of it, how many other little time wasters do we each have in the course of a day?
Riiiight...sitting here for 2 minutes at a stretch is SUCH a rest! Get real.

DH's parents are here for the weekend and M-I-L in the gardener in chief here...she is SO wonderful! Yesterday while we were off on a special tour with the guests, she planted annuals, weeded beds and did major pruning. She is worth her weight in GOLD! All she wants in return is to be fed and get to spend time with the dog..
How lucky you are to have a helpful MIL. I can count on mine as well. What special tour did you get to do with your guests?
We live in a historical area and we did a special package that included a bunch of meals, transportation, and guided tours. Very education and very fun! Also exhausting, I am thankful we blocked out some rooms and had a slow night yesterday.

YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
RIki
Hey, why aren't you out making beds? Quit wasting time!
tounge_smile.gif

YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
RIki
tounge_smile.gif

HA! I WAS making beds when you wrote that!!!
Now I am legitimately sitting here wasting time, waiting for check-ins
cheers.gif

YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
RIki
tounge_smile.gif

HA! I WAS making beds when you wrote that!!!
Now I am legitimately sitting here wasting time, waiting for check-ins
cheers.gif

That's too funny!

YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
RIki
Proud Texan said:
I wasn't including time on this forum... or reading the paper, or feeding my kids...
When I'm at full-tilt, I don't have any time wasters (no time!
teeth_smile.gif
), and I spend very little time on the forum. I do, however, take breaks (which I also didn't count) where I check my emails, my FB page, pop on here for 2-3 minutes...
You're on this forum 8 hours a week?
whattha.gif
wink_smile.gif

=)
Kk.

YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
RIki
Proud Texan said:
I wasn't including time on this forum... or reading the paper, or feeding my kids...
When I'm at full-tilt, I don't have any time wasters (no time!
teeth_smile.gif
), and I spend very little time on the forum. I do, however, take breaks (which I also didn't count) where I check my emails, my FB page, pop on here for 2-3 minutes...
You're on this forum 8 hours a week?
whattha.gif
wink_smile.gif

=)
Kk.
8 hours? O.K., maybe a bit of an exaggeration. But, I'm sure we all have and NEED some time wasters just to maintain sanity. I have more than some here because most of our business is weekend only. The fact that it's already getting pretty hot here also means that outside chores will slow down as most everything seems to stop growing.

Back