How much extra would you charge?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.....AND PUKE!
So gross, and so sorry you are having to deal with this. I have to state again and again and again, for those of you who do not OWN your property...I don't know how you all do it. If this were not my entire retirement/investment/all my eggs in one basket I would not be able to deal with the daily stresses that this job presents. I sincerely tip my hats to you.
WHEN is the four days over???.
InnsiderInfo said:
.....AND PUKE!
So gross, and so sorry you are having to deal with this. I have to state again and again and again, for those of you who do not OWN your property...I don't know how you all do it. If this were not my entire retirement/investment/all my eggs in one basket I would not be able to deal with the daily stresses that this job presents. I sincerely tip my hats to you.
WHEN is the four days over???
They are here until Tuesday. I can't wait to see what it looks like tomorrow. One of the senior partners were here this afternoon to work on a electrical problem and saw one of them smoking in the room and lit into them about it. We are a non smoking facility. If it stinks of smoke, I will be charging them for that too and tossing their butts (and I don't mean cigarette butts) out the door.
The Farmers Daughter said:
InnsiderInfo said:
.....AND PUKE!
They are here until Tuesday. I can't wait to see what it looks like tomorrow. One of the senior partners were here this afternoon to work on a electrical problem and saw one of them smoking in the room and lit into them about it. We are a non smoking facility. If it stinks of smoke, I will be charging them for that too and tossing their butts (and I don't mean cigarette butts) out the door.
Ok, 2 strikes and you're out on this one. I have never ejected a guest during their stay, but if I found them smoking in their room after what you went through this morning, that would be it! They should have been evicted during the smoking incident.

why didn't the 'senior partner' ask them to leave at that point when one was smoking in the room?
leaving you to handle it in the morning 'if it stinks of smoke' is not a good idea in my opinion.
i don't understand these guests. are they trying to do everything possible to be offensive?
how old are these guests would you say? just curious.

After reading all of this I have changed my opinion. CHARGE THEM!! I think I might have told them they would be more comfortable at the hotel down the road. Oh boy I feel for you. This is not a matter of trying to make them feel pampered this now about making you feel relieved.

This just backs up what I said initially. FOLLOW YOUR OWN POLICIES. If you had, you wouldn't be in this situation.
Holy cow PT, don't blame FD for this! She got all of our input on this and who would have thought it would lead to this mess.
Actually, she would be in the exact situation even if she hadn't agreed to the sheet changes. If someone bleeds all over the sheets, you have to change the sheets anyway!.
Breakfast Diva said:
This just backs up what I said initially. FOLLOW YOUR OWN POLICIES. If you had, you wouldn't be in this situation.
Holy cow PT, don't blame FD for this! She got all of our input on this and who would have thought it would lead to this mess.
Actually, she would be in the exact situation even if she hadn't agreed to the sheet changes. If someone bleeds all over the sheets, you have to change the sheets anyway!
Sorry, but this subject matter hits too close to home. I have had family members who were like this and there is no excuse for this kind of behavior. Ya'll are much nicer than me I guess, because I could not and would not tolerate this kind of guest. This is a business and this kind of guest is bad for business.

.....AND PUKE!
InnsiderInfo said:
.....AND PUKE!
InnsiderInfo said:
.....AND PUKE!
Ok, 2 strikes and you're out on this one. I have never ejected a guest during their stay, but if I found them smoking in their room after what you went through this morning, that would be it! They should have been evicted during the smoking incident.
We had a couple who "tried" to smoke in their room. I confronted them and told them exactly what the rules were and if they couldn't follow our rules, they could leave! They apologized and stayed with us for 4 more days...as good as gold. IF these folks are breaking your rules....I would tell them to pack their bags and get out!

.....AND PUKE!
InnsiderInfo said:
.....AND PUKE!
InnsiderInfo said:
.....AND PUKE!
We had a couple who "tried" to smoke in their room. I confronted them and told them exactly what the rules were and if they couldn't follow our rules, they could leave! They apologized and stayed with us for 4 more days...as good as gold. IF these folks are breaking your rules....I would tell them to pack their bags and get out!
catlady said:
I did and they are GONE! Good riddance too. Plus I charged them.
I expect I will be hearing from Master Card directly.

.....AND PUKE!
InnsiderInfo said:
.....AND PUKE!
InnsiderInfo said:
.....AND PUKE!
catlady said:
GOOD FOR YOU and GOOD RIDDANCE!

.....AND PUKE!
InnsiderInfo said:
.....AND PUKE!
InnsiderInfo said:
.....AND PUKE!
catlady said:
How did it go down? Did you end up asking them to leave or the partner?

I told them that unfortunately we were unable to accommodate them going forward. I explained all the reasons why. They were a bit taken aback, and I am sure they will try to fight me, but I will deal with it. Big, tough guy from Brooklyn. I think I stood up to him pretty well, being just little ole me.

I told them that unfortunately we were unable to accommodate them going forward. I explained all the reasons why. They were a bit taken aback, and I am sure they will try to fight me, but I will deal with it. Big, tough guy from Brooklyn. I think I stood up to him pretty well, being just little ole me..
Document everything so that if they do file a chargeback, you have the proof to back it up.

I told them that unfortunately we were unable to accommodate them going forward. I explained all the reasons why. They were a bit taken aback, and I am sure they will try to fight me, but I will deal with it. Big, tough guy from Brooklyn. I think I stood up to him pretty well, being just little ole me..
Good for you, that had to have been very hard to do...I hate confrontations so much but you just have to stick up for yourself. I find it amusing that they were taken aback...they assumed their behavior was normal? People are so weird.

hmmm that is a weird request..what are they going to be doing to the sheets???? And a thought provoking one as well .
I know it isn't GREEN..but...Look at it this way...what if you had that room booked for 4 one night stays in a row. You would be changing the linens every day anyway.
Then again, it is extra time for them each day, you could tell them your usual policy. Maybe you could just put fresh sheets in their room and tell them they can make their own bed, you don't have the time to do it every day?????.
catlady said:
hmmm that is a weird request..what are they going to be doing to the sheets???? And a thought provoking one as well .
I know it isn't GREEN..but...Look at it this way...what if you had that room booked for 4 one night stays in a row. You would be changing the linens every day anyway.
Then again, it is extra time for them each day, you could tell them your usual policy. Maybe you could just put fresh sheets in their room and tell them they can make their own bed, you don't have the time to do it every day?????
I charge $35 additional for a 1 night stay over the daily rate for a 2 night min. However that includes total cleaning of the room and a bottle of wine. If I look at this as 4 separate 1 night stays, that would add $140 bucks to their bill. I think thats a bit over the top. I took the reservation, but told them I would get back to them with what the extra fee would be for a daily sheet change.
I don't know why .... maybe they intend to have lots and lots of hot sex???
That explains why my sheets only get changed twice a year.
cry_smile.gif

THAT is too funny, PT!

I think the smoking would be the breaking point for me. It is pretty clear in our policies that smoking inside the inn is grounds for eviction. Good for you for standing your ground!

I'd like to know what you all think about this situation and the whole Inn-sitter insurance question we were discussing last week. If, by chance, an Inn-sitter was in charge of these people that wanted their sheets changed every night and the sheets and mattress got ruined...would it be the Inn-sitters fault? As I remember someone commented - "shit happens" - it happens when the owner is there and it could possibly happen when an Inn-sitter is there. Farmers Daughter are you going to contact your insurance company to file a claim? Would you expect an Inn-sitter to have insurance to cover such issues?

Good for you, that had to have been very hard to do...I hate confrontations so much but you just have to stick up for yourself. I find it amusing that they were taken aback...they assumed their behavior was normal? People are so weird.
God is Great, Beer is Good and People are Crazy - this is my new favorite saying!

I'd like to know what you all think about this situation and the whole Inn-sitter insurance question we were discussing last week. If, by chance, an Inn-sitter was in charge of these people that wanted their sheets changed every night and the sheets and mattress got ruined...would it be the Inn-sitters fault? As I remember someone commented - "shit happens" - it happens when the owner is there and it could possibly happen when an Inn-sitter is there. Farmers Daughter are you going to contact your insurance company to file a claim? Would you expect an Inn-sitter to have insurance to cover such issues?.
suellen222 said:
I'd like to know what you all think about this situation and the whole Inn-sitter insurance question we were discussing last week. If, by chance, an Inn-sitter was in charge of these people that wanted their sheets changed every night and the sheets and mattress got ruined...would it be the Inn-sitters fault? As I remember someone commented - "shit happens" - it happens when the owner is there and it could possibly happen when an Inn-sitter is there. Farmers Daughter are you going to contact your insurance company to file a claim? Would you expect an Inn-sitter to have insurance to cover such issues?
File a claim for a set of sheets and a couple of nights????? You've got to be kidding!
I would not expect and innsitter to cover the cost. In this scenario, it was the guest's fault, no one elses. When I hire an innsitter it's because I have confidence in them and I tell them that I will back up whatever decision they make while I'm not there.

I'd like to know what you all think about this situation and the whole Inn-sitter insurance question we were discussing last week. If, by chance, an Inn-sitter was in charge of these people that wanted their sheets changed every night and the sheets and mattress got ruined...would it be the Inn-sitters fault? As I remember someone commented - "shit happens" - it happens when the owner is there and it could possibly happen when an Inn-sitter is there. Farmers Daughter are you going to contact your insurance company to file a claim? Would you expect an Inn-sitter to have insurance to cover such issues?.
suellen222 said:
Farmers Daughter are you going to contact your insurance company to file a claim? Would you expect an Inn-sitter to have insurance to cover such issues?
No, I would not file a claim over something like this. I save my claims for big stuff like when people overflow the Jacuzzi on the 2nd floor and it runs down the wall into the suite below it creating a huge and unwelcome surprise. Thats when I file a claim.
I don't hire innsitters, so I can't comment on that.

suellen222 said:
As most of us would tell you, it is not worth it to report any damage unless it was something extensive. Ruined sheets is not something to report. Again, this is something you will learn with experience, if you get training.
Any innsitter would be required by the B&B's insurance company to have insurance. Our insurance company for our B&B requires our innsitter to supply us with a COI and want them to name us as Additional Insured. And I would require that they have a business license.
I would never hire an innsitter without this.
Riki

Then again, it is extra time for them each day, you could tell them your usual policy. Maybe you could just put fresh sheets in their room and tell them they can make their own bed, you don't have the time to do it every day?????.
catlady said:
Then again, it is extra time for them each day, you could tell them your usual policy. Maybe you could just put fresh sheets in their room and tell them they can make their own bed, you don't have the time to do it every day?????
I charge $35 additional for a 1 night stay over the daily rate for a 2 night min. However that includes total cleaning of the room and a bottle of wine. If I look at this as 4 separate 1 night stays, that would add $140 bucks to their bill. I think thats a bit over the top. I took the reservation, but told them I would get back to them with what the extra fee would be for a daily sheet change.
That explains why my sheets only get changed twice a year.
cry_smile.gif

THAT is too funny, PT!
aieechihuahua said:
THAT is too funny, PT!
Yeah, I'm laughing my head off.
sad_smile.gif

Back