How much extra would you charge?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
I have an unusual guest request (for me anyway). I have a couple coming that request their sheets be changed every day. They will be here for 4 days. Generally I change sheets every 3 days of a guests extended stay. In this case this will be 5 sets of sheets/pillowcases. I was thinking $10 a day additional for this service. What do you think?

These guys either have OCD or they're just nasty people. Did they give a reason? You should just explain your normal sheet rotation policy to them and leave it at that. I wouldn't accommodate them.
If someone asked for a made to order breakfast, you wouldn't do that would you? Unless you need the income, stick to your policies. They're there to protect you.

I don't know what I would do. I would like to think that I'd tell them I'm a green inn and that we change the sheets every 3rd day. I can get away with that since I'm a destination B&B and also have the wine tours generating money.
But if I was an inn that was trying hard to fill my rooms, I'm afraid that I would probably give in for the booking. I would at least charge if I could. Telling them the additional cleaning time would be an hour a day at $25 if I could get it. Make them pay for their total disregard for the earth.
Riki

For a four day stay, I would change after the second day...maybe try to offer that?
Edited to add: Was this something you knew about at the time of reservation, or just found out about? If the note was taken at the time of reservation, and no additional charges were mentioned, then I don't think you can spring that on them after arrival.

I charge the same rate per night for a one night stay as for a four night stay so I would change the sheets every day if they asked me to do so. It's not green but I'm not in the business of enforcing recycling.

hmmm that is a weird request..what are they going to be doing to the sheets???? And a thought provoking one as well .
I know it isn't GREEN..but...Look at it this way...what if you had that room booked for 4 one night stays in a row. You would be changing the linens every day anyway.
Then again, it is extra time for them each day, you could tell them your usual policy. Maybe you could just put fresh sheets in their room and tell them they can make their own bed, you don't have the time to do it every day?????

hmmm that is a weird request..what are they going to be doing to the sheets???? And a thought provoking one as well .
I know it isn't GREEN..but...Look at it this way...what if you had that room booked for 4 one night stays in a row. You would be changing the linens every day anyway.
Then again, it is extra time for them each day, you could tell them your usual policy. Maybe you could just put fresh sheets in their room and tell them they can make their own bed, you don't have the time to do it every day?????.
catlady said:
Then again, it is extra time for them each day, you could tell them your usual policy. Maybe you could just put fresh sheets in their room and tell them they can make their own bed, you don't have the time to do it every day?????
I charge $35 additional for a 1 night stay over the daily rate for a 2 night min. However that includes total cleaning of the room and a bottle of wine. If I look at this as 4 separate 1 night stays, that would add $140 bucks to their bill. I think thats a bit over the top. I took the reservation, but told them I would get back to them with what the extra fee would be for a daily sheet change.
I don't know why .... maybe they intend to have lots and lots of hot sex???

If a guest request housekeeping service everyday, don't you do it? I would charge them a minimal fee (10.00) and hope they tell the world what a great place you have and how you are willing to accomodate your guest. We will serve special breakfasts for those who request it (even vegans) so what would it hurt to give the guest what they ask you as long as it is cost effective and doesn't hurt anyone. Look at it as an advertizing expense and ask them to tell their friends about you. It may be the best investment you ever made.

unless you give a 'discount' for staying 2 or 3 nites (because you are factoring in less laundry), why would you charge to change their sheets each day?
for goodness sake, maybe one of them has night sweats or something. i've heard some women going through menopause have to change their sheets every morning ...
i would simply change the sheets as requested. part of the service.

Then again, it is extra time for them each day, you could tell them your usual policy. Maybe you could just put fresh sheets in their room and tell them they can make their own bed, you don't have the time to do it every day?????.
catlady said:
I charge $35 additional for a 1 night stay over the daily rate for a 2 night min. However that includes total cleaning of the room and a bottle of wine. If I look at this as 4 separate 1 night stays, that would add $140 bucks to their bill. I think thats a bit over the top. I took the reservation, but told them I would get back to them with what the extra fee would be for a daily sheet change.
Too much Information:) I thought it but just wasn't going to say it. Or as SS says...'she has hot flashes at night and knows it" Hey, tell them you will have fresh sheets in their room for them every day if they want to change them themselves..at no additional cost..no...don't do that.
embaressed_smile.gif

Actually, I think I would just change the sheets and make no comments to them about it nor charge extra. I would be doing it if I was having different guests in that same room every day for 4 days. So just do it as part of doing business.

I would not charge them. Especially, if your place is more high end. Again, I think it's part of that "hospitality" we've been discussing lately. IMHO
just a note...I've got extra charges for a lot of things, but even I wouldn't charge for extra sheets. I would moan and groan to myself but go ahead and do it.

I would not charge because this is part of the papmering we boast about. I would not like to do it but I would without saying anything,
I have always laughed and told my dh that if I won the lottery and had a maid I would have my sheets changed every day. I love to climb into fresh sheets.

This is an interesting one. For us, I would say we'd go ahead and change the sheets every day on a special request. But because you have the built-in upcharge for single night stays I think you have a good precedent for charging at least something...after all, it IS costing you something to change sheets every day, in both extra laundry and your time.
I suppose if you stayed at a hotel and asked to have the sheets changed every day they would just do it and no extra charge...or they'd SAY they'd do it and then not do it at all!
I hope you'll let us know what you decide. Did the guests say anything when you mentioned there might be a charge?

Great idea to charge for the additional time and service. If anyone else who wouldn't charge for this WOULD charge for flowers or other 'add ons' it should be considered in the same light. They are asking for upgraded service. All of us say we will accommodate dietary restrictions. I doubt any of us say we'll accommodate, for free, whatever the guest wants to throw at us in the way of 'requirements'. And if we do, we all know we all complain about it.
If you reduced the rates because of an extended stay because the reduced workload was considered into that discount, then yes, charge $10/night. This has happened to friends several times...'You WILL be changing our sheets everyday, correct?' with the tone implying, 'or else'. None of my friends have ever conceded to change the sheets. You've come up with a great compromise...guest gets what they want, for whatever reason they want it, and you get compensated for it.

catlady said:
The Farmers Daughter said:
That explains why my sheets only get changed twice a year.
cry_smile.gif

Hmmm, my take on this is, you win some you lose some. It's nice when you have multiple night stays and don't have to completely flip every room every day, but have a 4-night booking is a nice win in itself. I think I would change the sheets as requested with a smile on my face all the way to the bank and not charge them extra. They picked your inn to stay for 4 nights; maybe they'll tell all their friends what a great choice they made and forget to tell them the little detail about the daily sheet changing.
wink_smile.gif

Hmmm, my take on this is, you win some you lose some. It's nice when you have multiple night stays and don't have to completely flip every room every day, but have a 4-night booking is a nice win in itself. I think I would change the sheets as requested with a smile on my face all the way to the bank and not charge them extra. They picked your inn to stay for 4 nights; maybe they'll tell all their friends what a great choice they made and forget to tell them the little detail about the daily sheet changing.
wink_smile.gif
SecondAct said:
...maybe they'll tell all their friends what a great choice they made and forget to tell them the little detail about the daily sheet changing.
wink_smile.gif
Unfortunately this is almost never the case, at least here. SecondAct, I know you're aspiring so I'm just making this point here quickly...we've found that the people you go out of your way for the most are generally the ones who never even say "thank you". I don't know if it's human nature or what, and it's certainly not every time, but it's the rule rather than the exception here.
So for FD's original question, I would say go ahead and charge them something if you told them you would, or I also like Catlady's suggestion to just set an extra set of sheets out every day so they can use them if they like and not charge anything.

UPDATE: OMG!!!! I am Soooo charging them extra.
I don't know how to even say this diplomatically, but I will try and you must be willing to read between the lines to some extent.
First off, these are BIG, full figured people.
Secondly, it is either her time of the month or they are slaughtering livestock in the bed and gracing my white sheets with it.
Thirdly...well, its just disgusting.
There you have it. $10 extra a day doesn't seem like nearly enough now.

I don't know how to even say this diplomatically, but I will try and you must be willing to read between the lines to some extent.
Secondly, it is either her time of the month or they are slaughtering livestock in the bed and gracing my white sheets with it.
There you have it. $10 extra a day doesn't seem like nearly enough now..
The Farmers Daughter said:
There you have it. $10 extra a day doesn't seem like nearly enough now.
Hmmmm. Let's see 4 days, total replacement of sheet sets because the ones you had are ruined beyond reclaimation. How do you put a price on it.

Back