How much extra would you charge?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE: OMG!!!! I am Soooo charging them extra.
I don't know how to even say this diplomatically, but I will try and you must be willing to read between the lines to some extent.
First off, these are BIG, full figured people.
Secondly, it is either her time of the month or they are slaughtering livestock in the bed and gracing my white sheets with it.
Thirdly...well, its just disgusting.
There you have it. $10 extra a day doesn't seem like nearly enough now..
The Farmers Daughter said:
I don't know how to even say this diplomatically, but I will try and you must be willing to read between the lines to some extent.
i don't care how 'big' your guests are - why is that even relevant???
if there is heavy bleeding on the sheets, this is not a simple request for sheet changing each day. this is an issue that they are surely aware of. i would speak to them, kindly, but firmly, and tell them i notice there is an issue and i have put extra padding and 'imperfect' sheets on the bed ... because it can be difficult to remove those stains.
if you have less than perfect sheets, NOW is the time to use them.
i understand you are maybe angry, definitely grossed out. but these things DO happen in the hospitality business. we've probably all encountered this. i know i have.

Secondly, it is either her time of the month or they are slaughtering livestock in the bed and gracing my white sheets with it.
if there is heavy bleeding on the sheets, this is not a simple request for sheet changing each day. this is an issue that they are surely aware of. i would speak to them, kindly, but firmly, and tell them i notice there is an issue and i have put extra padding and 'imperfect' sheets on the bed ... because it can be difficult to remove those stains.
i understand you are maybe angry, definitely grossed out. but these things DO happen in the hospitality business. we've probably all encountered this. i know i have.
I agree with SS!
You may want to also put some thin plastic sheeting between the sheet and mattress pad....something like an opened up trash bag?

seashanty said:
Oh yeah..... They definately have the less than perfect sheets on the bed now!
The big part needed some reading between the lines, but I will just come out and say it. They are Big Pigs. They brought their own grocery store with them and the crumbs and food remains are included in the rest of the ground in mess in the bed.
Its been said the Universe never gives you more than you can handle. They must really have plans for me.....*rolls eyes*.

seashanty said:
The big part needed some reading between the lines, but I will just come out and say it. They are Big Pigs. They brought their own grocery store with them and the crumbs and food remains are included in the rest of the ground in mess in the bed.
Its been said the Universe never gives you more than you can handle. They must really have plans for me.....*rolls eyes*.
seashanty said:
This just backs up what I said initially. FOLLOW YOUR OWN POLICIES. If you had, you wouldn't be in this situation.

seashanty said:
GOOD GRIEF!!! Have these people been there before?? Knowing this now....I recant my initial repsonse. CHARGE THE HELL OUT OF THEM!!!!!

seashanty said:
seashanty said:
This just backs up what I said initially. FOLLOW YOUR OWN POLICIES. If you had, you wouldn't be in this situation.
Proud Texan said:
seashanty said:
I am following my policies and charging them accordingly.

seashanty said:
GOOD GRIEF!!! Have these people been there before?? Knowing this now....I recant my initial repsonse. CHARGE THE HELL OUT OF THEM!!!!!
catlady said:
No never been here before. I don't think they have ever been to a B & B before.

This raises an interesting question: Have any of you ever evicted a guest from your B&B?

seashanty said:
seashanty said:
''This just backs up what I said initially. FOLLOW YOUR OWN POLICIES. If you had, you wouldn't be in this situation.''
[/quote]
what policy?
what situation wouldn't fd be in???
these guests asked for sheet changes every day. fd asked about how much she should charge for that.
how on earth would you prevent a guest staying with you who bleeds on your sheets?
how would you know that someone is going to eat in bed and leave a food mess in the bed?
i had a polite, pretty, slender, well-groomed guest stay for two nights. she was apparently bulimic based on what i discovered when she checked out. there is no nice way to describe it here.

seashanty said:
seashanty said:
''This just backs up what I said initially. FOLLOW YOUR OWN POLICIES. If you had, you wouldn't be in this situation.''
what policy?
these guests asked for sheet changes every day. fd asked about how much she should charge for that.
how on earth would you prevent a guest staying with you who bleeds on your sheets?
how would you know that someone is going to eat in bed and leave a food mess in the bed?
i had a polite, pretty, slender, well-groomed guest stay for two nights. she was apparently bulimic based on what i discovered when she checked out. there is no nice way to describe it here.

[/QUOTE]
seashanty said:
what policy?
[/quote]
Her policies were NOT to change the sheets daily. They asked to have them changed daily. You don't see a big red flag here? WHY does anyone need their sheets changed daily unless there will be conditions present that would demand it?
I would have declined the reservation. If she ends up having to replace the mattress and 4+ sets of sheets, where is the advantage to booking someone like this? I personally would not tolerate that level of disgusting behavior. It destructive to her business property and therefore a threat to her livelihood. It's sounds like these individuals should be checked into a hospital and not a B&B.

This raises an interesting question: Have any of you ever evicted a guest from your B&B?.
Proud Texan said:
This raises an interesting question: Have any of you ever evicted a guest from your B&B?
Yes, we have. In 12 years of business, we only have had 1 really, truly bad situation. Some drunken fool was beating up his girlfriend and we held him at gunpoint until the police arrived. That was a freakin scary situation. Thank God they were the only people here at the time.

seashanty said:
seashanty said:
what policy?
seashanty said:
what policy?
[/quote]
Her policies were NOT to change the sheets daily. They asked to have them changed daily. You don't see a big red flag here? WHY does anyone need their sheets changed daily unless there will be conditions present that would demand it?
I would have declined the reservation. If she ends up having to replace the mattress and 4+ sets of sheets, where is the advantage to booking someone like this? I personally would not tolerate that level of disgusting behavior. It destructive to her business property and therefore a threat to her livelihood. It's sounds like these individuals should be checked into a hospital and not a B&B.

[/QUOTE]
Proud Texan said:
seashanty said:
what policy?
[/quote]
no ~ i did not see a big red flag. i did not see this coming.
i guess i could have told the guest my policy and asked why the sheets should be changed each day. and taken precautions based on the answer. but i would have simply started the sheet changing on morning one, encountered a very bizarre mess, and dealt with it.
replacing a mattress???? come on. i would have to see the damage. i had protective casings on all the mattresses and the rubberized barrier within the casing so i don't think i'd be having to replace a mattress. (i purchased the rubber barrier things after an incontinent person stayed with me.)
i would, however, have to talk with these guests about nights 2, 3 and 4.

barf.gif

SORRY......

would have definantely charged them for the extra cleaning and would go with the policies. UGHHH how disgusting. And it goes to show you that some guests do not belong in a Bed and Breakfast. Had a couple like that last year...comforter on floor, blanket on floor stuff all over the room...not a nice sight...now we put it in our policy that we will charge an xtra 25 for any cleaning that is out of the ordinary for "NORMAL and COMON SENSE" using people

If I were constantly getting these types of guests, I would want to figure out WHY they were attracted to my place and make some changes.

Holy cow PT, don't blame FD for this! She got all of our input on this and who would have thought it would lead to this mess.
Actually, she would be in the exact situation even if she hadn't agreed to the sheet changes. If someone bleeds all over the sheets, you have to change the sheets anyway!

Not only would I charge them the extra rate per day, I would also charge them the cost of replacing the sheets if they did indeed cause permanent damage to it.
Charge the heck out of them. You do not want these people back, so don't be afraid of hurt feelings. Just be 100% frank with them. If they do leave bad feedback on TA, refute it with a management response explaining the situation (ie. their animalistic characters).
Best of luck to you.

.....AND PUKE!
So gross, and so sorry you are having to deal with this. I have to state again and again and again, for those of you who do not OWN your property...I don't know how you all do it. If this were not my entire retirement/investment/all my eggs in one basket I would not be able to deal with the daily stresses that this job presents. I sincerely tip my hats to you.
WHEN is the four days over???

.....AND PUKE!
So gross, and so sorry you are having to deal with this. I have to state again and again and again, for those of you who do not OWN your property...I don't know how you all do it. If this were not my entire retirement/investment/all my eggs in one basket I would not be able to deal with the daily stresses that this job presents. I sincerely tip my hats to you.
WHEN is the four days over???.
InnsiderInfo said:
.....AND PUKE!
WHEN is the four days over???
They are here until Tuesday. I can't wait to see what it looks like tomorrow. One of the senior partners were here this afternoon to work on a electrical problem and saw one of them smoking in the room and lit into them about it. We are a non smoking facility. If it stinks of smoke, I will be charging them for that too and tossing their butts (and I don't mean cigarette butts) out the door.

Back