How much fruit?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
How much fruit do you typically serve your guests (this time of year) when fruit is more abunadant and reasonable priced?
Do you serve one side or starter that consists of fruit? Do you have an expanded continental and have fruit available on it?
What fruit is the least favorite of your guests?

We start off with a fruit dish (5-6 oz) - strawberries in cream, sliced melon, or other fresh fruit dish. We'll also use fresh fruit as a garnish on the main course... fanned strawberry, orange twist, or a sprig of parsley, mint, or cilantro.
Grapefruit and cantaloup are the least favorite of guests so far.

We always have a fruit starter, and somtimes have a fruit garnish. The biggest change is apples in the winter and strawberries in the summer, but of course that changes with a multiple night stay.
No idea yet what is favorite or least, although both strawberries and apple crisps have been well received.
=) Kk.

I usually do a "compote" - I have a pretty compote that a guest sent me after her stay (it matches my Granny's glassware) and I put whatever fresh fruit I have on hand in it. Usually cantaloupe and honeydew balls, mango chunks, pieces of fresh pineapple if I have it, kiwi. If strawberries are on sale I will have them quartered. I do the compote to minimize waste - the guests take what they want - very little fruit is left behind.
Saturday I will have cantaloupe balls, strawberries, papaya, and mango with a few blueberries scattered on top and garnished with a sprig of mint from the herb garden. During the winter mangoes are not always available, but I usually do the same fruit year round. If I am short on fruit, I make a fruit banana split because it takes less to make it look great.
Forgot to say, I start with the muffins, fruit, and juice on the table and then bring the entree.

We pretty much serve the same amount of fruit year round...it's ALL expensive, even in season. So, a starter of fruit (in an 8 oz ramekin) and sometimes fruit with the main course, like french toast or pancakes.
What the guests don't like...pineapple, grapefruit and peaches.

We pretty much serve the same amount of fruit year round...it's ALL expensive, even in season. So, a starter of fruit (in an 8 oz ramekin) and sometimes fruit with the main course, like french toast or pancakes.
What the guests don't like...pineapple, grapefruit and peaches..
Grapefruit I can see but not liking pineaple and peaches is just silly. ;)

Fruit has been really popular with the guests so far. It's weird what they might leave...no consistency so far and really it's rare that they leave anything. I really try to mix it up.
I have a guest here now that is here for a week. This week's plan so far: 1) Strawberry/pear crisp; 2) chilled fruit plate (cantalope wedge, big mango slice, 2 Kiwi quarters, fanned strawberry, a few blackberries); 3) mango and kiwi; 4) diced fresh peaches w/peach yogurt & topped with a few blackberries; 5) red/white/blue parfaits (strawberries/banana/blueberries) w/cannoli cream; 6) cantalope, red grapes, and whatever. I use different kinds of parfaits and fruit dishes and the servings are generous.
I do garnish the entree plate with some fruit that's different than what's been in the fruit course: cantalope wedge, cluster of red grapes, fanned strawberry, a few assorted berries, orange slices cut in half, etc. For savory dishes, I'll use roma tomatoes, various herbs from the garden, that kind of thing.
This is one of the fun parts of being an innkeeper!

What the guests don't like...pineapple, grapefruit and peaches..
I can see the acid being the issue with the pineapple (unless it is a Maui pineapple). Funn you mentioned that, as I pretty much LOVE all fruit - with the exception of Papaya which smells like dirty feet, but if it is a good one I can hold my nose and get through it!
Yesterday I stopped at a boo-fay and they had fresh pineapple on the salad bar. I knew I would pay from all the acid, but ate about a full pineapple worth! It was awesome. I rarely buy them due to cost, so it was a real treat.

Fruit has been really popular with the guests so far. It's weird what they might leave...no consistency so far and really it's rare that they leave anything. I really try to mix it up.
I have a guest here now that is here for a week. This week's plan so far: 1) Strawberry/pear crisp; 2) chilled fruit plate (cantalope wedge, big mango slice, 2 Kiwi quarters, fanned strawberry, a few blackberries); 3) mango and kiwi; 4) diced fresh peaches w/peach yogurt & topped with a few blackberries; 5) red/white/blue parfaits (strawberries/banana/blueberries) w/cannoli cream; 6) cantalope, red grapes, and whatever. I use different kinds of parfaits and fruit dishes and the servings are generous.
I do garnish the entree plate with some fruit that's different than what's been in the fruit course: cantalope wedge, cluster of red grapes, fanned strawberry, a few assorted berries, orange slices cut in half, etc. For savory dishes, I'll use roma tomatoes, various herbs from the garden, that kind of thing.
This is one of the fun parts of being an innkeeper!.
The guests this morning have a thing about bread, well the man does as he had some sort of surgery and cannot eat a lot of bread now.
He told me he loves fruit, so he sure got some fruit today!
I find that bananas go well with canteloupe and then I sprinkle a VERY SMALL dash of cinnamon on the banana after some oj or lime juice to keep from going brown.
We have a bumper crop of mulberries this year - more than the birds can handle. Never had this many since we moved here. They look like blackberries but are not tart at all, so they kinda miss the mark for me, but thrown into a mixed fruit serving or on the side with some other garnished, and they work.

The guests this morning have a thing about bread, well the man does as he had some sort of surgery and cannot eat a lot of bread now.
I find that bananas go well with canteloupe and then I sprinkle a VERY SMALL dash of cinnamon on the banana after some oj or lime juice to keep from going brown.
We have a bumper crop of mulberries this year - more than the birds can handle. Never had this many since we moved here. They look like blackberries but are not tart at all, so they kinda miss the mark for me, but thrown into a mixed fruit serving or on the side with some other garnished, and they work.
mmmmm Mulberries. Do you get city folk who try to pick out the green stem (edible) and end up with purple fingers? LOL

mmmmm Mulberries. Do you get city folk who try to pick out the green stem (edible) and end up with purple fingers? LOL
You crack me up. Ya know I WOULDA put them in other things (have done in pancakes and they were good), but knew they would think the green stem icky, so could only put them in places where a) they couldn't see the green stem, or b) it would add to the ornamental look and they would leave them on the plate anyway.
tounge_smile.gif

You crack me up. Ya know I WOULDA put them in other things (have done in pancakes and they were good), but knew they would think the green stem icky, so could only put them in places where a) they couldn't see the green stem, or b) it would add to the ornamental look and they would leave them on the plate anyway.
tounge_smile.gif

Brings back good old memories for me. On my Grandfather's property there was an enormous Mulberry tree. It was a yearly event putting out the tarps and using really long poles to shake the limbs and have the Mulberries fall on the tarp. Not sure if it was weather related or not but some years they would taste sort of watered down and other years they were absolutely amazing.
Last year DW and I were biking around here and we rode past a Mulberry tree. It took her 1/4 mile to realize I was no longer with her...she rode back to find me standing under the tree picking and eating them.
wink_smile.gif

I would put the 'naners in the cantalope tomorrow but I'm serving the banana bread with some banana slices as a garnish. I will save that idea in the memory banks!
Mulberries...I don't think I've ever had one.

tounge_smile.gif

Brings back good old memories for me. On my Grandfather's property there was an enormous Mulberry tree. It was a yearly event putting out the tarps and using really long poles to shake the limbs and have the Mulberries fall on the tarp. Not sure if it was weather related or not but some years they would taste sort of watered down and other years they were absolutely amazing.
Last year DW and I were biking around here and we rode past a Mulberry tree. It took her 1/4 mile to realize I was no longer with her...she rode back to find me standing under the tree picking and eating them.
wink_smile.gif

The State Park where we went camping with the kids had a huge mulberry tree. We asked the ranger if we could pick some and were told yes. We picked as big a container as we had with us full to brimming and went home and bought some vanilla ice cream to put them over! Ahhh, memories. One of the better kid memories.... We loved camping at the park. The middle son still goes camping there.

DH is going to get some mulberries tomorrow morning after breakfast.... I've never used them before but I have found a lot of recipes on the 'net for them. We have a tree out back but they taste bland. Our friends have two trees and one of them has fruit that taste sweet. I'm looking forward to putting some away in the freezer for "later".

What got left this morning...pineapples, grapefruit, strawberries & raspberries. 3 of 4 guests did not touch the fruit.

Back