How much of a comp?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
So, for the guests with the damp bathroom, falling ceiling tiles, hopping around to different rooms...what would you do? Here's the thing, I am on a crusade - reward the nice people instead of just being thankful they're nice. Tell the obx ones to go to hell, but reward the nice ones.
I only have one day left to do something for them, so help me out here.
(For the ones who very nicely agreed to change rooms BEFORE they even got here, I'll pop a box of chocolates in their pkg they've already booked.)
What should I do for the soggy guests?

If it was a real problem for them, I would comp the stay..or at least one day. or give half off..something like that. If they suffered because of it they deserve some reward

Could you pop for a dinner without breaking he bank? Add a 50% off GC for their next stay with a 6 month expire maybe?

I would give a free night on return visit (with 2 night min.) and maybe discount on current if charges hadn't been run yet. Or if charges already run, gift card to local restaurant for dinner, if you can get one in time, or find out where they want to eat tonight and call the restaurant and tell them to charge you up to a certain amt. for tonight..? When they return for free stay night you can have a basket with Evan Almighty DVD and popcorn ready and waiting.
wink_smile.gif

A nice discount - value depending on how much trouble it was for THEM - what would make YOU happy if you were in their place.
Or a dinner GC. I think you had a package at one time? Since this is their last night it may be something you can not just through together.
A GC is nice but it is only good if the people come to the area often. If they were from the other side of the country, doubt it would make them warm and fuzzy.

$50 off. It's a nice enough amount that people won't blow off that you don't really mean it and not enough to break the bank. It just sits in that area that clearly says "we care" without being too far into it.

Thanks for the ideas! I can't do the dinner because they are here to perform a show so they have to 'stay lean' and after the show everything is closed. Also, they are technically not paying. The venue is paying for them. Sort of. With advertising.
So, yeah, I made no money on this stay but I'm not looking at that so much as I am looking at them as guests who went out of their way to make us feel ok about a lousy situation.
Anyway, I was thinking a free night. The dinner idea is a great one but I can't do that one. I'll keep that for another time! They live nearby so they could actually use a free night.

How about a nice bottle of wine, a box of chocolates and a really nice handwritten thank you note. That would more than do it for me if I were your guest.

How about a nice bottle of wine, a box of chocolates and a really nice handwritten thank you note. That would more than do it for me if I were your guest..
Country Girl said:
How about a nice bottle of wine, a box of chocolates and a really nice handwritten thank you note. That would more than do it for me if I were your guest.
If every place will be closed when they're done the show, I'd substitute a nice cheese and fruit plate for the chocolates, and do the wine. That might fit better with their needs.

I think a free night is too much to give for hopping to a different room, unless they really emphasize that they wanted that room for a strong reason. Heck, give me a bottle of wine and I'll be happy! A free night, that's a LOT of money for just switching rooms!

I think a free night is too much to give for hopping to a different room, unless they really emphasize that they wanted that room for a strong reason. Heck, give me a bottle of wine and I'll be happy! A free night, that's a LOT of money for just switching rooms!.
These are the folks whose bathroom ceiling collapsed on them. They didn't just 'switch rooms'.

Thanks for the ideas! I can't do the dinner because they are here to perform a show so they have to 'stay lean' and after the show everything is closed. Also, they are technically not paying. The venue is paying for them. Sort of. With advertising.
So, yeah, I made no money on this stay but I'm not looking at that so much as I am looking at them as guests who went out of their way to make us feel ok about a lousy situation.
Anyway, I was thinking a free night. The dinner idea is a great one but I can't do that one. I'll keep that for another time! They live nearby so they could actually use a free night..
Given they did not pay, I think your idea of a free night is the best.
Sure hope things went well with the repair and all. While taking care of your guests you also had this pressing thing to deal with all while being ill. Y'all are a example of what makes great innkeepers. {hugs)

Thanks for all the ideas. They were very surprised to find a gift basket in their room last night and very thankful this morning to us.

Back