How much personal info or personality do you think s/b on a B&B website?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You bring a unique perspective to the forum. I'll bet you've seen it all. Welcome

Let me just say....you haven't lived unless you've been a LIVE-IN Manager at a 100 room beachfront hotel. Apartment was above the lobby and the front doors, and our bedroom shared a wall with the indoor pool area. Laying in bed at night, all we heard was the echoing screams and splashes of happy children and the hooting of drunkards. Kids pounding up and down the hallway outside your door, and every possible staff situation you can imagine.
And that doesn't even cover ANY of the MANY guest situations. This was an expensive and upscale place, but the guests of a hotel take on a whole different personality once they're checked in...or maybe they're just from a different planet. Makes my Inn guests seem absolute sweethearts by comparison! I've only had one in seven years that I wanted to choke (every day for a week),
angry_smile.gif
but her $1,000.00 or so went a long way toward getting me over it!

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Your thoughts on how much is enough or too much?
I think it's in the eye of the beholder. If you think it's too much, then it is. If it seems just right, then it is. Me? I hate wading thru someone's personal philosophy. Show me the rooms, the prices, the location and then I'll decide if I want to read about how you rescue hedgehogs. But don't throw the hedgehogs at me on page one.
If you're a business, act like one. If it's a hobby, then it really doesn't matter what you say on your website. There are parts of my site I think have evolved in a not so great way. Trim, edit, trim.
If I had anything to 'say' to the public at large about a pet project of mine, it would be in the newsletters or blog. You find it if you look hard enough, but it's not in your face. The rest of the site is, hopefully, geared toward guests getting the info they need..
You took all the words right out of my mouth. Perfectly stated. 100% agreed. Now I am going to check out my website...
regular_smile.gif

BTW guests are using my itineraries! I wish they would use my packages! They like the ideas in my packages and create their own. Oh well, as long as they are staying here I am ok with it.
But it is nice to have guests who show up and know about something like they actually did some research. They know where it is and how to get there, what time and all the fine print.
(Speaking of excess blubbering information I have on our website - that someone somewhere might find handy).
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
BTW guests are using my itineraries! I wish they would use my packages! They like the ideas in my packages and create their own. Oh well, as long as they are staying here I am ok with it.
But it is nice to have guests who show up and know about something like they actually did some research. They know where it is and how to get there, what time and all the fine print.
(Speaking of excess blubbering information I have on our website - that someone somewhere might find handy)
I, for one, would be interested in knowing what you include in your itineraries. We have a few destinations in our area, which I point out to our guest prior to their arrival, but I'm not sure I could really create an itinerary.

(Speaking of excess blubbering information I have on our website - that someone somewhere might find handy).
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
(Speaking of excess blubbering information I have on our website - that someone somewhere might find handy)
I, for one, would be interested in knowing what you include in your itineraries. We have a few destinations in our area, which I point out to our guest prior to their arrival, but I'm not sure I could really create an itinerary.
Proud Texan said:
There's an inn in the Finger Lakes that has the whole wine tour around the lake laid out, day by day. Day One go here, Day Two go there. I can't remember the name of it, but maybe someone else here does. That would be a good starting point for laying out an itinerary.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Proud Texan said:
There's an inn in the Finger Lakes that has the whole wine tour around the lake laid out, day by day. Day One go here, Day Two go there. I can't remember the name of it, but maybe someone else here does. That would be a good starting point for laying out an itinerary.
Bree said:
Proud Texan said:
That's great, assuming they're staying more than one night. Two nights is generally optimal here, though many guest wish they had booked for three.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Proud Texan said:
Bree said:
Proud Texan said:
That's great, assuming they're staying more than one night. Two nights is generally optimal here, though many guest wish they had booked for three.
I started a new thread on how to... Mine are day trips and can have a packed lunch as an add on, especially if there are no restaurants along the route.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Proud Texan said:
Bree said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Bree said:
Proud Texan said:
No, the idea behind the itinerary is to give them the reasons they need to stay more than one night! If you had the itinerary with the 2-3 night assumption built in, you might find more 2-nighters calling! We have guests who stay only 2 nights every year but they range far and wide during their stay. They use my brochure collection to plan where they go each time.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Proud Texan said:
Bree said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Bree said:
Proud Texan said:
No, the idea behind the itinerary is to give them the reasons they need to stay more than one night! If you had the itinerary with the 2-3 night assumption built in, you might find more 2-nighters calling! We have guests who stay only 2 nights every year but they range far and wide during their stay. They use my brochure collection to plan where they go each time.
Bree said:
Proud Texan said:
Bree said:
Proud Texan said:
Ahhhhhhhhhhh! The light bulb goes on!

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Proud Texan said:
Bree said:
Proud Texan said:
I've seen a few where people map it out by the number of nights and break it down by interest
  • staying 1 night, try this
  • 2 nights try this or this
    • fan of the outdoors try this
    • fan of wine try this
    • fan of theater try this
  • 3 nights try this
  • 4nights (recommended)

Back