How much personal info or personality do you think s/b on a B&B website?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Looking at B&B websites, how much personality or personal stuff do you feel is appropriate for the website?
I know many times innkeepers post things they are involved with or dedicated to to attract like minded guests or just as a portal for information on the subject. I have a page or two devoted to this. Sometimes they have a page devoted to something they are selling - gift shop page. Sometimes sharing something they are involved with within their community.
How much is too much? How is it done tastefully so not to barrage the viewer into clicking close on the browser?
Example - there is a female - uh what is the word, celebrant who has pages devoted to new age healings and a book she has written on the subject. Her place is very woodsy so she can weave this theme through her website fairly easily.
But to someone just wanting to rent a cabin in the woods it could put them off thinking they will be inundated by her mantra.
Your thoughts on how much is enough or too much?

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Your thoughts on how much is enough or too much?
I think it's in the eye of the beholder. If you think it's too much, then it is. If it seems just right, then it is. Me? I hate wading thru someone's personal philosophy. Show me the rooms, the prices, the location and then I'll decide if I want to read about how you rescue hedgehogs. But don't throw the hedgehogs at me on page one.
If you're a business, act like one. If it's a hobby, then it really doesn't matter what you say on your website. There are parts of my site I think have evolved in a not so great way. Trim, edit, trim.
If I had anything to 'say' to the public at large about a pet project of mine, it would be in the newsletters or blog. You find it if you look hard enough, but it's not in your face. The rest of the site is, hopefully, geared toward guests getting the info they need.

BTW guests are using my itineraries! I wish they would use my packages! They like the ideas in my packages and create their own. Oh well, as long as they are staying here I am ok with it.
But it is nice to have guests who show up and know about something like they actually did some research. They know where it is and how to get there, what time and all the fine print.
(Speaking of excess blubbering information I have on our website - that someone somewhere might find handy)

On my General info page I do a little about the Gillum family and then a short background on us - that I am a native who was rewarded with returning to WV. I do not go into much detail really. Indicate we are grandparents but do not mention my position with the B & B Assoc or with rails-to-trails.
I have read a few innkeeper bios that read like a novella. I do not want to know that much nor tell that much - talk about setting yourself up for SPAM & SCAM - about me before I even meet (if ever) the person reading it.
I do not think a potential guest gives a flying flip about much other than getting a feel for who you are - LOADS of info, this one is going to talk my ear off or no info, What am I getting into? They (to me) want to know what the room is like, what kind of breakfast, what is there to see and do in the area. Nuff saud.

I generally agree with Bree... but I like to see some innkeeper info. Not to be pummeled with a sales pitch, but names, pets, either some history or some personality... it doesn't have to be a lot, but something to make it personal. After all, the personal aspect is part of why B&B's are so much better than hotels! Are they funny? Mennonite? Bikers? I'm nosy... I like to know!
=)
Kk.

I really do not think guests are interviewing the hosts when they are looking for a B&B. I know I am not. In reality, your website and B&B usually provide enough about the hosts personality just with the describing words and pictures and the feeling that is generated though the site.
When I look at a site, I am looking for information about the rooms, amenities, breakfast, what is near to do, etc. Most times the 'meet the innkeeper' pages I skip or quick scan. I do not need their life history to book a room.

I generally agree with Bree... but I like to see some innkeeper info. Not to be pummeled with a sales pitch, but names, pets, either some history or some personality... it doesn't have to be a lot, but something to make it personal. After all, the personal aspect is part of why B&B's are so much better than hotels! Are they funny? Mennonite? Bikers? I'm nosy... I like to know!
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
OK, my website personality hits you over the head like a brick. I've had guests tell me that. 'You're just like I thought you would be. I read your newsletters.' I've had guests want to stay BECAUSE of the newsletters. And you can read the newsletters to find out what we're like, what the kids are up to, how many grands there are now, how the dog is doing, etc. But there's no bio. No, 'what we did before this' sort of thing because I'm telling that story all the time...

I don't like the web sites where you get clobbered over the head with a whole bunch of info about the innkeepers. I don't need a litany of educational degrees and jazz like that. I think you can weave little tidbits into your text. And guests knowing a little bit about you can help you with booking guests, too. I know that we have gotten some bookings in our location because we are both military veterans, which is mentioned in passing :) I was really surprised too when someone told me that they thought we'd be friendly folks because we have rescued dogs. (They're mentioned just briefly to let anyone with allergies know that they're in our quarters.)
It's not a necessity for me to know a whole lot about the owners, I figure that hopefully we'll meet them once we get there. Tell me about the room, bathroom, common rooms, and amenities. I'm good to go!!

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
OK, my website personality hits you over the head like a brick. I've had guests tell me that. 'You're just like I thought you would be. I read your newsletters.' I've had guests want to stay BECAUSE of the newsletters. And you can read the newsletters to find out what we're like, what the kids are up to, how many grands there are now, how the dog is doing, etc. But there's no bio. No, 'what we did before this' sort of thing because I'm telling that story all the time...
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Ahhh now we touch on the innkeepers extension. BLOG and NEWSLETTER. That is a place to add much more personality to the website - is someone wants more information.
But again, I really detest blogs that are from a B&B but all personal stuff. In fact, EGO comes to mind, they overwhelm the reader who has most likely never even been to the inn.
I prefer blogs to have a touch of this and that and mostly USEFUL (key word) information, not blubbering on about a plant in their garden or the new sheets they bought.
I think a B&B blog s/b fun.
I think a website should have some info on the owners - LACK OF INFO AT ALL is a turn off to me. I am going to be in THEIR BED, IN THEIR HOME, I would like to see them or have a short paragraph of info. Not necessarily THEIR LIFE HISTORY. NOT their degrees, NOT their years of service and where they went and what they did.

I don't like the web sites where you get clobbered over the head with a whole bunch of info about the innkeepers. I don't need a litany of educational degrees and jazz like that. I think you can weave little tidbits into your text. And guests knowing a little bit about you can help you with booking guests, too. I know that we have gotten some bookings in our location because we are both military veterans, which is mentioned in passing :) I was really surprised too when someone told me that they thought we'd be friendly folks because we have rescued dogs. (They're mentioned just briefly to let anyone with allergies know that they're in our quarters.)
It's not a necessity for me to know a whole lot about the owners, I figure that hopefully we'll meet them once we get there. Tell me about the room, bathroom, common rooms, and amenities. I'm good to go!!.
I agree. The personal information should have but one goal and that is to promote the Bed and Breakfast. I think some individuals must be trying to over compensate for something the way they carry on.

I think many guests who choose to stay at bed and breakfast inns do so they can get to know the innkeepers and other guests. Granted you have some guests looking to be by themselves for a romantic weekend.
At our inn we have noticed that many of our guests choose our inn because they have read about our past and things we are currently interested in. This makes them more comfortable in choosing an inn that better fits their own personality and interests. Our Trip Advisor and bedandbreakfast.com reviews mention us frequently and the conversations we have with our guests.

deltechome.com Is this the correct url??? I couldn't get anything. I too am interested in building a "green" friendly home once we sell this place. However many of the ones I have seen are very "modern" looking and sleek and that is not my style. I am looking for a "farmhouse" style with nice wrap around porch...but I want to use as many green features as I possibly can. We are very interested in modular factory built homes.

I think many guests who choose to stay at bed and breakfast inns do so they can get to know the innkeepers and other guests. Granted you have some guests looking to be by themselves for a romantic weekend.
At our inn we have noticed that many of our guests choose our inn because they have read about our past and things we are currently interested in. This makes them more comfortable in choosing an inn that better fits their own personality and interests. Our Trip Advisor and bedandbreakfast.com reviews mention us frequently and the conversations we have with our guests..
cedarhouse said:
At our inn we have noticed that many of our guests choose our inn because they have read about our past and things we are currently interested in. This makes them more comfortable in choosing an inn that better fits their own personality and interests. Our Trip Advisor and bedandbreakfast.com reviews mention us frequently and the conversations we have with our guests.
Welcome to the forum! You hit the nail on the head - the innkeepers MAKE (or break) the inn (or Yurt).
welcome.gif

We are looking at building a deltechome.com in the near future. Solar and all. I will peruse your website shortly, looks great.

Given the propensity and desires of most B&B guests to have an authentic and different experience than they'd get at your typical cookie cutter hotel/motel, some personal info would seem to be necessary.
We have an "About Us" page and it briefly tells the potential guest a little about us, the zest for life we have, our love of people, relevant professional experience, etc. but we keep it very general and VERY humble!
In our home, we also keep it VERY general as far as not promoting or espousing any religious, political or spiritual beliefs we may hold. We get lots of folks who appreciate that approach and while conversations may touch on any number of subjects, we're really careful not to "go there" on anything that could offend or stir hard feelings between us and a guest and especially between two sets of guests.
Neutrality in our business is probably the safest way to go. We seem to host lots of fellow innkeepers who like us, will only stay in owner occupied and run B&Bs. This one really pushed us to go look at her website and then if ever in her area, come stay with her like we were kindred spirits or something.
Once on her website, the plethura of highly religious statements posted and then the photos of the rooms featured these large mural like treatments with very religious passages of only her faith lettered on the walls all the way around each room.
This made me scratch my head and wonder about how someone of a differing or no set of religious beliefs would feel staring at these things every time they were in the room with their eyes open.

deltechome.com Is this the correct url??? I couldn't get anything. I too am interested in building a "green" friendly home once we sell this place. However many of the ones I have seen are very "modern" looking and sleek and that is not my style. I am looking for a "farmhouse" style with nice wrap around porch...but I want to use as many green features as I possibly can. We are very interested in modular factory built homes..
catlady said:
deltechome.com Is this the correct url??? I couldn't get anything. I too am interested in building a "green" friendly home once we sell this place. However many of the ones I have seen are very "modern" looking and sleek and that is not my style. I am looking for a "farmhouse" style with nice wrap around porch...but I want to use as many green features as I possibly can. We are very interested in modular factory built homes.
Here is the url http://www.deltechomes.com/ These are ecofriendly prefab panels that are built in NC and erected on site then they come back and fill the walls with insulation. The house itself has a small footprint, they are hurricane proof. They have no load bearing walls so you can design the interior as you wish. Open floor plan or not. We will have porches on these as well. The best part is they are put up in 5 days with roof and then you can finish off or hire subs for the interior.
Take a look at the gallery of photos and Green building info. We are planning on making a trip to walk their spec house and factory.
damiani-20.jpg

miller-50.jpg

Given the propensity and desires of most B&B guests to have an authentic and different experience than they'd get at your typical cookie cutter hotel/motel, some personal info would seem to be necessary.
We have an "About Us" page and it briefly tells the potential guest a little about us, the zest for life we have, our love of people, relevant professional experience, etc. but we keep it very general and VERY humble!
In our home, we also keep it VERY general as far as not promoting or espousing any religious, political or spiritual beliefs we may hold. We get lots of folks who appreciate that approach and while conversations may touch on any number of subjects, we're really careful not to "go there" on anything that could offend or stir hard feelings between us and a guest and especially between two sets of guests.
Neutrality in our business is probably the safest way to go. We seem to host lots of fellow innkeepers who like us, will only stay in owner occupied and run B&Bs. This one really pushed us to go look at her website and then if ever in her area, come stay with her like we were kindred spirits or something.
Once on her website, the plethura of highly religious statements posted and then the photos of the rooms featured these large mural like treatments with very religious passages of only her faith lettered on the walls all the way around each room.
This made me scratch my head and wonder about how someone of a differing or no set of religious beliefs would feel staring at these things every time they were in the room with their eyes open..
Sometimes it helps if that is on the website. Imagine if you and this innkeeper really had hit it off and you had gone there. Quel surprise! Much better that everyone knows in advance what they may be up against!
We finally posted a photo of us on the website and actually added our names. Other than the photo, there is no info about us and what we think or feel unless guests delve as far as the blog. However, the whole website is so chatty I think they get a good idea just from that.
I think we talked about this a long time ago. Should innkeepers post a lot of info in re their beliefs? Maybe it's in the earlier sections of this thread. Well, I think I came to the conclusion that if you have a certain set of beliefs that preclude having certain people in your home, it's best get all the cleverly coded hints and tips on your site so those people you don't want will keep looking. For me, it definitely was the highly religious slant. I'm on vacation, I don't want to talk religion. Show me scripture on the walls or a crucifix in every room, etc, and I'll keep looking. Show me a site where there is a lot of new age touchy feely stuff and I'm gone. I just want a place to stay, I don't want to be part of the experience of the innkeepers' evolution.

Welcome Cedar House! We are green because it keeps those green dollars in MY wallet. We tell just a bit about us, mainly what goes along with the interests we try to garner as our niche. I do not want to tell (or know about someone else) every detail of my life - I figure, "WHO CARES?"
We have many, many comments about the interesting and lively conversations. We LISTEN when the guests talk and if they are of a "different bent", I send DH to his area post haste and warn him to shut up (and try to do likewise) as conversation gets steered to safe havens.

This made me scratch my head and wonder about how someone of a differing or no set of religious beliefs would feel staring at these things every time they were in the room with their eyes open..
Sometimes it helps if that is on the website. Imagine if you and this innkeeper really had hit it off and you had gone there. Quel surprise! Much better that everyone knows in advance what they may be up against!
We finally posted a photo of us on the website and actually added our names. Other than the photo, there is no info about us and what we think or feel unless guests delve as far as the blog. However, the whole website is so chatty I think they get a good idea just from that.
I think we talked about this a long time ago. Should innkeepers post a lot of info in re their beliefs? Maybe it's in the earlier sections of this thread. Well, I think I came to the conclusion that if you have a certain set of beliefs that preclude having certain people in your home, it's best get all the cleverly coded hints and tips on your site so those people you don't want will keep looking. For me, it definitely was the highly religious slant. I'm on vacation, I don't want to talk religion. Show me scripture on the walls or a crucifix in every room, etc, and I'll keep looking. Show me a site where there is a lot of new age touchy feely stuff and I'm gone. I just want a place to stay, I don't want to be part of the experience of the innkeepers' evolution.
Then there's the whole thing about posting a photo of the innkeepers. Casual? Professional? Posed? In character (ie- kitchen shot) or 'at home'?
What does the style of photo tell the guest? Does a posed head shot make the guest think this is very formal? How about one of those 'fuzzy' glamour shots, what does that say? Does a casual photo make them think no one is minding the shop? I saw one photo that was the very traditional shot where husband is seated near fireplace and wife is standing by his side with her hand on the chair. I thought 'stuffy'. Are they? Is the B&B stuffy? Or did they just like that photo and think it showed the common room off very well?

Then there's the whole thing about posting a photo of the innkeepers. Casual? Professional? Posed? In character (ie- kitchen shot) or 'at home'?
What does the style of photo tell the guest? Does a posed head shot make the guest think this is very formal? How about one of those 'fuzzy' glamour shots, what does that say? Does a casual photo make them think no one is minding the shop? I saw one photo that was the very traditional shot where husband is seated near fireplace and wife is standing by his side with her hand on the chair. I thought 'stuffy'. Are they? Is the B&B stuffy? Or did they just like that photo and think it showed the common room off very well?
Bree said:
The type of photo is very important. No offence to the glamour shots, or formal pics, but pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease nooooooooooooooooo. Mostly it should just show a jovial welcoming person or person(s). There is a photo of innkeepers that I have always loved at Thomas Shepherd Inn. The photo was not even taken in front of the inn, although you would not know that unless they told you. To me, it is a great photo and portrays them well - likable and accessable, not stuffy, not unfriendly. I have seen a couple of inns with scary innkeeper photos. There is one for sale right now where the innkeeper looks like she is out of a Victoria's Secret ad at the door in a red dress all dolled up.

Back