How much should I budget?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would rethink if it's worth sinking (pun intended) all that money into a bathroom that's in a guest room which already has a high occupancy rate. Unless you're going to make it into a spa bathroom or add on sq ft. the return on your investment will take many years to recover. Personally, I would do an update, but keep it within just a few thousand dollars. If it's not going to put more heads in beds I would just do a refresh rather than a redo.
Will this reno make the room rent more often? Do you have pictures of bathrooms on your website?.
Breakfast Diva said:
I would rethink if it's worth sinking (pun intended) all that money into a bathroom that's in a guest room which already has a high occupancy rate. Unless you're going to make it into a spa bathroom or add on sq ft. the return on your investment will take many years to recover. Personally, I would do an update, but keep it within just a few thousand dollars. If it's not going to put more heads in beds I would just do a refresh rather than a redo.
Will this reno make the room rent more often? Do you have pictures of bathrooms on your website?
good advice. we've had comments that the shower in this room is 'claustrophobic.' And it is. We decided to replace it with one that isn't so close and dark. What we don't HAVE to do, is move the toilet. But it is in such a stupid place. It offends my design sensibility. :)
But again, your point is well made. Maybe the toilet can sit where it is and we just do the shower and sink upgrade.
(We have already replaced 4 of the 6 sinks in the house. They were all so old and tired that they made the rooms look dirty. Of the two left, one is a full on antique (marble) and will stay and the other is this one. Our most expensive room.)
We've done all the sinks we could as well. The ones we had were low end motel grade. There is one left that will require relocation which means taking down a wall, moving the plumbing, possibly moving the toilet and putting in a whole new floor. Luckily it's on the first floor so we can get at the pipes from the basement.
We don't know why there is a false wall but will find out this winter!
To hide the body?
gillumhouse said:
To hide the body?
It's been in there for almost 30 years at this point!
Morticia said:
gillumhouse said:
To hide the body?
It's been in there for almost 30 years at this point!
Better have the police and the local newspaper reporter on site at least when the wall comes down if you don't know why its there.
wink_smile.gif

Will this reno make the room rent more often? Do you have pictures of bathrooms on your website?.
Breakfast Diva said:
Will this reno make the room rent more often? Do you have pictures of bathrooms on your website?
good advice. we've had comments that the shower in this room is 'claustrophobic.' And it is. We decided to replace it with one that isn't so close and dark. What we don't HAVE to do, is move the toilet. But it is in such a stupid place. It offends my design sensibility. :)
But again, your point is well made. Maybe the toilet can sit where it is and we just do the shower and sink upgrade.
(We have already replaced 4 of the 6 sinks in the house. They were all so old and tired that they made the rooms look dirty. Of the two left, one is a full on antique (marble) and will stay and the other is this one. Our most expensive room.)
I would estimate $5K also for someone else to do the work. Demo work is usually costly (we found...because no one wants to do it). :-( You'll have to put concrete board on the shower wall, of course. Also, a tiled shower will cost more than one of the pre-fab units, especially since you also have to have a custom glass door installed and the cost on that varies depending on the quality of that part of the project. Since the shower is on the top floor be sure that the shower pan is installed correctly so you don't have any leaks. It's worth the extra money to install a quality shower floor membrane if you're putting in a tile floor. You can save some coin if you find a nice sink and toilet on sale.
Good luck!!

Breakfast Diva said:
I would estimate $5K also for someone else to do the work. Demo work is usually costly (we found...because no one wants to do it). :-( You'll have to put concrete board on the shower wall, of course. Also, a tiled shower will cost more than one of the pre-fab units, especially since you also have to have a custom glass door installed and the cost on that varies depending on the quality of that part of the project. Since the shower is on the top floor be sure that the shower pan is installed correctly so you don't have any leaks. It's worth the extra money to install a quality shower floor membrane if you're putting in a tile floor. You can save some coin if you find a nice sink and toilet on sale.
Good luck!!
I did not put in glass shower doors - or any shower doors. I put up shower rods with a nylon liner inside and a vinyl curtain outside. I change the liner with each guest. It makes it so much easier to get in and out of the shower AND for cleaning, I have a 60 inch shower as well as a 48 inch. Both have a personal shower head as well as the regular shower head. Cleaning is easier because I spray the cleaner, scrub, and hose down with the personal shower.

Breakfast Diva said:
Good luck!!
I did not put in glass shower doors - or any shower doors. I put up shower rods with a nylon liner inside and a vinyl curtain outside. I change the liner with each guest. It makes it so much easier to get in and out of the shower AND for cleaning, I have a 60 inch shower as well as a 48 inch. Both have a personal shower head as well as the regular shower head. Cleaning is easier because I spray the cleaner, scrub, and hose down with the personal shower.
Glass doors may look nicer than a shower curtain but it ten times easier to clean and maintain than a door!

Breakfast Diva said:
Good luck!!
Glass doors may look nicer than a shower curtain but it ten times easier to clean and maintain than a door!
I have to disagree about the shower curtains vs glass doors. I bet it takes all of 30 seconds to wash the door. It takes a lot longer to take the curtains down and replace after every guest.
I've seen enough 'pink' or 'orange' curtains at nice B&B's to know that they are rarely cleaned or replaced.

Breakfast Diva said:
Good luck!!
I have to disagree about the shower curtains vs glass doors. I bet it takes all of 30 seconds to wash the door. It takes a lot longer to take the curtains down and replace after every guest.
I've seen enough 'pink' or 'orange' curtains at nice B&B's to know that they are rarely cleaned or replaced.
At one place I stayed the shower had two glass doors. Poor design as stuff would drip down into a ditch that you could not get into....brown and black stuff laid in there. Sorry, I'd rather wash curtains then have that situation at my b & b!

Breakfast Diva said:
Good luck!!
That is why I use the nylon liner on the side that touches the guest. IT gets changed and washed. To each his own. I can replace liners for $10 any time, and do fairly often if needed or if i find a pretty one I like. The liner goers in the wash with sheets or towels. It works for me and that is the only one it has to work for - was also a lot cheaper than trying to put glass doors on a 60 inch shower.

Breakfast Diva said:
Good luck!!
We get lime scale accumulation no matter what I do. So it's the curtains here, know what you mean about keeping those nice though. More of a challenge in the hot weather. I have to custom hem mine for one of the rooms and that hem is a challenge. Soaking in oxy helps but after a time - just has to be replaced and in the busy season new hems are not happening. Just occurred to me I should make up a few in advance! We have stall showers so even finding the right size is a trick here. Natl. Ho spit ality has them by the doz so that will be the next source.

Breakfast Diva said:
Good luck!!
We get lime scale accumulation no matter what I do. So it's the curtains here, know what you mean about keeping those nice though. More of a challenge in the hot weather. I have to custom hem mine for one of the rooms and that hem is a challenge. Soaking in oxy helps but after a time - just has to be replaced and in the busy season new hems are not happening. Just occurred to me I should make up a few in advance! We have stall showers so even finding the right size is a trick here. Natl. Ho spit ality has them by the doz so that will be the next source.
At my parent's place we have hard water with orange. The Works tub and shower spray does wonders on everything including shower curtains. At my parents we lay it down on the driveway, spray with water from hose, spray it with The Works, let soak, scrub, hose down, and throw over fence or bush to dry. At the inn we soak it in the washer over night, run washer, and then hang it over lawn furniture out back to dry or in dryer on no heat. The rest of the time we just wash it regular in the washer. We also used Basic H.

Breakfast Diva said:
Good luck!!
That is why I use the nylon liner on the side that touches the guest. IT gets changed and washed. To each his own. I can replace liners for $10 any time, and do fairly often if needed or if i find a pretty one I like. The liner goers in the wash with sheets or towels. It works for me and that is the only one it has to work for - was also a lot cheaper than trying to put glass doors on a 60 inch shower.
We do the plastic liner on the inside and cloth shower curtain on the outside. To clean the shower or tub, move the cloth curtain to the middle and outside of the tub/shower to work around them. That's way the cleaning stuff doesn't get on them as it does when they are up against the shower walls.

Breakfast Diva said:
Good luck!!
We do the plastic liner on the inside and cloth shower curtain on the outside. To clean the shower or tub, move the cloth curtain to the middle and outside of the tub/shower to work around them. That's way the cleaning stuff doesn't get on them as it does when they are up against the shower walls.
I hate the feel of the "plastic" on me and that is why the nylon liner is on the inside. The vinyl curtain is just to catch any water that may spray through the nylon. I take the liner off the hooks as I take down the curtain and set it aside to clean the shower. Then I attach the clean liner to the hooks as I hang it back up. Takes 15 seconds to take down and maybe a minute to hang back up (mainly because I usually try to start from the wrong end of the liner). This is what I have been doing since 2006 when I got shower curtains. Prior to that, it was a hand-held shower in the claw-foot tub and no shower curtain.

Breakfast Diva said:
Good luck!!
At one place I stayed the shower had two glass doors. Poor design as stuff would drip down into a ditch that you could not get into....brown and black stuff laid in there. Sorry, I'd rather wash curtains then have that situation at my b & b!
that just means they arn't cleaning them properly - we have a steam thing that jets as well as your basic tooth brush and shower head - doesn't take much to keep on top. You may want to tell any UK guests that the curtain goes inside the tray as in the UK we just don't have them (not hotels, BB's or homes) its all glass.

Breakfast Diva said:
Good luck!!
that just means they arn't cleaning them properly - we have a steam thing that jets as well as your basic tooth brush and shower head - doesn't take much to keep on top. You may want to tell any UK guests that the curtain goes inside the tray as in the UK we just don't have them (not hotels, BB's or homes) its all glass.
Thanks for the warning! We do have the curtains spread across the opening with the one inside the ledge and the other outside the ledge. Is that enough of a hint for them?

Breakfast Diva said:
Good luck!!
I hate the feel of the "plastic" on me and that is why the nylon liner is on the inside. The vinyl curtain is just to catch any water that may spray through the nylon. I take the liner off the hooks as I take down the curtain and set it aside to clean the shower. Then I attach the clean liner to the hooks as I hang it back up. Takes 15 seconds to take down and maybe a minute to hang back up (mainly because I usually try to start from the wrong end of the liner). This is what I have been doing since 2006 when I got shower curtains. Prior to that, it was a hand-held shower in the claw-foot tub and no shower curtain.
What kind of shower curtain's hooks do you use? We have a wide variety of them of all different styles and shapes.

Breakfast Diva said:
Good luck!!
What kind of shower curtain's hooks do you use? We have a wide variety of them of all different styles and shapes.
Just regular hooks that go over the shower rod. I have the vinyl hooked on first and then the nylon so as I remove the hook from the rod, I take off the nylon and leave the vinyl. One set (Gillum) are gold-looking fans I think and the ones in the shared bath are a heavy chrome with a white knob that looks nice (at least I think it does). Both have been in use for a long time.

Breakfast Diva said:
Good luck!!
Doors on a shower are much better protection for water on the floor. I had one separate shower in my second house(others with glass doors) with just a liner & curtain & had more problems with water. People just aren't always the best with making sure that a curtain is in the right place. No problem with doors.
And, I definitely preferred cleaning the doors (which had little build-up because you're cleaning them every day in a well maintained B&B) to changing out the curtain liner between each guest (even with the easiest of shower curtain hooks).

Breakfast Diva said:
Good luck!!
Doors on a shower are much better protection for water on the floor. I had one separate shower in my second house(others with glass doors) with just a liner & curtain & had more problems with water. People just aren't always the best with making sure that a curtain is in the right place. No problem with doors.
And, I definitely preferred cleaning the doors (which had little build-up because you're cleaning them every day in a well maintained B&B) to changing out the curtain liner between each guest (even with the easiest of shower curtain hooks).
I hate changing the shower curtain in my own bathroom once/week! We had to remove the glass door because it was installed wrong and there was mold under the frame. Otherwise I wouldn't have gone to the curtain.
And, yes, Gomez cleans the guest showers everyday so there's little chance for any buildup. When it's less busy he gets into the track with a toothbrush. Otherwise, he wipes it out with a cloth.

Breakfast Diva said:
Good luck!!
I hate changing the shower curtain in my own bathroom once/week! We had to remove the glass door because it was installed wrong and there was mold under the frame. Otherwise I wouldn't have gone to the curtain.
And, yes, Gomez cleans the guest showers everyday so there's little chance for any buildup. When it's less busy he gets into the track with a toothbrush. Otherwise, he wipes it out with a cloth.
New door designs are much easier to clean. This is what I learned from looking at new home construction recently! Wish I'd spent a few bucks more on my glass enclosure when we did our own master bath here. It's always worth thinking through.
But I totally get it that you have to deal with your own budget! We renovated (and installed) 5 bathrooms after we bought this house. Yikes!

Breakfast Diva said:
Good luck!!
New door designs are much easier to clean. This is what I learned from looking at new home construction recently! Wish I'd spent a few bucks more on my glass enclosure when we did our own master bath here. It's always worth thinking through.
But I totally get it that you have to deal with your own budget! We renovated (and installed) 5 bathrooms after we bought this house. Yikes!
The frameless doors are beautiful!

Breakfast Diva said:
Good luck!!
The frameless doors are beautiful!
Yes, they're on my wish list. Especially after the number of bathroom cleanings that I know have on my resume (which doesn't even come close to what you, and others here on this forum, have done).
regular_smile.gif

Back