How much to give without giving away the farm?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
How much should you provide as amenities and extras for guests in your price range? Do you give more to the higher priced rooms (if there is a vast diff like $110 and $150 or $250?)
Your thoughts?

You know me. Cheap as the day is long. I don't do anything beyond the other inns in my area and in some cases I do less. (No bottles water or sodas, things like that.)
I don't distinguish among the rooms based on price on who gets what. If a room has more amenities than others, then the price is higher. But, I don't have better linens in a room with a higher price. Rooms with fireplaces are more and the room with the king is more than a queen room, but other than that, no special amenities based on price.

How do I price a first floor room that is very small with large bath room and very large shower. I need to figure out how to price this one. (my new room hopefully done in a few weeks.)

How do I price a first floor room that is very small with large bath room and very large shower. I need to figure out how to price this one. (my new room hopefully done in a few weeks.).
hawley said:
How do I price a first floor room that is very small with large bath room and very large shower. I need to figure out how to price this one. (my new room hopefully done in a few weeks.)
Our smallest room has the biggest bath. Our buggest room has a teensy bath. I price it by the room size and bed size.

How do I price a first floor room that is very small with large bath room and very large shower. I need to figure out how to price this one. (my new room hopefully done in a few weeks.).
hawley said:
If the shower is a BIG hit, then charge more. Otherwise, how does the bed size up with the other rooms? If the room has a queen bed and some seating, with a large bath & shower it should be pretty comparable to something else you have that is the same size. Or do you have the really big suites? (Sorry, brain freeze...)

We priced ours by room size. All the amenities are the same no matter what the room rate.

Our rates are primarily based on room size, with a few other differences mixed in. Our lowest price room has a pillowtop, all others have Tempur-Pedic. Our largest and most expensive room has a fireplace, settee. We have thought about providing higher end linens and extras, and raising the rates in the higher priced rooms, just not so sure it would be helpful or not in this area.

All our rooms & suites have the same "extra" amenities. They are priced based on what's in the room - size of room, 2 person tub, fireplace, mini fridge, etc.

My rooms are priced by private ensuite bath and shared bath. All have the same amenities, robes in closets, bath sheets, blow dryers, etc. All have a basket of fruit & snacks on the dresser for the guests. (Therefore no need to do cookies etc)

Our rates are primarily based on room size, with a few other differences mixed in. Our lowest price room has a pillowtop, all others have Tempur-Pedic. Our largest and most expensive room has a fireplace, settee. We have thought about providing higher end linens and extras, and raising the rates in the higher priced rooms, just not so sure it would be helpful or not in this area..
Copperhead said:
Our rates are primarily based on room size, with a few other differences mixed in. Our lowest price room has a pillowtop, all others have Tempur-Pedic. Our largest and most expensive room has a fireplace, settee. We have thought about providing higher end linens and extras, and raising the rates in the higher priced rooms, just not so sure it would be helpful or not in this area.
What area?
Okay your are killing me, I will admit it, you have me stumped on the area. You said it gets hot there, you are near a city and big river? Am I close?
East coast I am guessing.

hawley said:
Our smallest room has the biggest bath. Our buggest room has a teensy bath. I price it by the room size and bed size.
'Our buggest room has a teensy bath.'
this tickled my funny bone. i ALWAYS charge more for rooms with bugs!
wink_smile.gif

and believe me, we get them ..... i chase them around and around ......
i know, i know .. just a typo.
i put our more plush towel sets in the more expensive rooms. it feels right to me. but i have what i hope are 'nice' or 'cute' setups in all the rooms.

Our rates are primarily based on room size, with a few other differences mixed in. Our lowest price room has a pillowtop, all others have Tempur-Pedic. Our largest and most expensive room has a fireplace, settee. We have thought about providing higher end linens and extras, and raising the rates in the higher priced rooms, just not so sure it would be helpful or not in this area..
Copperhead said:
What area?
Okay your are killing me, I will admit it, you have me stumped on the area. You said it gets hot there, you are near a city and big river? Am I close?
What area?
JBJ - Gee, I know I am not the only one that is incognito on this forum. If I told you were I was, I'd have to kill ya and just like most innkeepers, I hate cleaning those nasty blood stains.
angry_smile.gif

Just to give a general ballpark - I am in the Southeast, ya'll!

Copperhead said:
What area?
What area?
JBJ - Gee, I know I am not the only one that is incognito on this forum. If I told you were I was, I'd have to kill ya and just like most innkeepers, I hate cleaning those nasty blood stains.
angry_smile.gif

Copperhead said:
What area?
angry_smile.gif

You probably live down the sroad from me. Maybe I even invited you to the forum? I have invited a few and they have done well to conceal their identities for far.
wink_smile.gif

Let's clarify - midatlantic southeast or southeast? Unfortunately I can claim both of those here (depending on the weather channels forecast of the day).
There are plenty of us incog on this forum, but we generally know who each other are after a while behind the scenes and as part of the whinging and complaining curmudgeoning community - just not open to the gen pub.
PS Please don't kill me. I hate when people do that. LOL!

Back