How much to take a nap?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
just had an inquiry by phone.
how much to just take a nap for a few hours? i quoted the room rate. bree, wasn't it you who had someone object that they were just going to use the room for a few hours? because i'd still have to flip the room. you know the reasons, 'napper' might need to use the toilet, the sink, in addition to the bed ... possibly the shower after nap time. maybe have a little coffee and some pie in the library. in other words, a full flip.
caller was 'aghast' ... i don't think i have ever had someone say to me 'i am aghast!'
regular_smile.gif
.... 'that much for one person to take a nap? what if i don't get between the sheets?'
well, i suggested they call the little hotel across the road, see if he can offer a better rate.
wink_smile.gif
okay, guys ... you know this is my last nite for check ins. any pranksters out there?

You should have quoted the day rate (hotels do have a day rate that is about 60% of the regular rate) but it should have been double your regular rate! After all, you would have to drag out all the cleaning stuff all over again....

seashanty said:
just had an inquiry by phone.
how much to just take a nap for a few hours? i quoted the room rate. bree, wasn't it you who had someone object that they were just going to use the room for a few hours? because i'd still have to flip the room. you know the reasons, 'napper' might need to use the toilet, the sink, in addition to the bed ... possibly the shower after nap time. maybe have a little coffee and some pie in the library. in other words, a full flip.
caller was 'aghast' ... i don't think i have ever had someone say to me 'i am aghast!'
regular_smile.gif
.... 'that much for one person to take a nap? what if i don't get between the sheets?'
well, i suggested they call the little hotel across the road, see if he can offer a better rate.
wink_smile.gif
okay, guys ... you know this is my last nite for check ins. any pranksters out there?
I'd bet on Tipsy saying, 'I am aghast,' but she's a dead giveaway with that accent.
And here I thought you were trying to find out how much each of us would pay YOU to come to our inns and let us take a nap!
And, yes, I had someone who wasn't going to stay the night, just a few hours. She seemed to understand I still had to do all the same cleaning. And it's MORE cleaning if they sleep on top, then I have to wash all of it!

Anyone who has kids knows what "Mommy and Daddy are going to take a nap now" means. That is all I could think about and laugh!
I have overheard guests say that here and I laugh too, there are no kids pulling on your leg, you can freely go to your room and be alone.

Most hotels offer a "day use rate" as mentioned by the previous poster, that day use rate should be based not just as a "standard" percentage, but looking at your costs (how much does it cost to clean, how far in advance are they booking and most importantly, would you rather have an empty room than a room where you are gettting some money??)
If your room rate si $400, asking 80% is excessive, if your room rate is $100, 80% may still be excessive. Remember, day use folks don't generally have breakfast, so include that into your calculations. In general, 50-70%, or perhaps a "25% discount" will work.
I had many day use guests when I worked in hotels, my one and only day use guest as an Innkeeper turned out to be a "room for a quickie" (no, not with me!!).

Most hotels offer a "day use rate" as mentioned by the previous poster, that day use rate should be based not just as a "standard" percentage, but looking at your costs (how much does it cost to clean, how far in advance are they booking and most importantly, would you rather have an empty room than a room where you are gettting some money??)
If your room rate si $400, asking 80% is excessive, if your room rate is $100, 80% may still be excessive. Remember, day use folks don't generally have breakfast, so include that into your calculations. In general, 50-70%, or perhaps a "25% discount" will work.
I had many day use guests when I worked in hotels, my one and only day use guest as an Innkeeper turned out to be a "room for a quickie" (no, not with me!!)..
You're not too far from me. Welcome
welcome.gif

I had many day use guests when I worked in hotels, my one and only day use guest as an Innkeeper turned out to be a "room for a quickie" (no, not with me!!)..
I cannot speak for anyone else, but I certainly do not want to go through the bother of "day use". I do not want anyone thinking that this place is for "quickie" anything for one thing and it is not worth the aggro of having my day messed up that way. Nope, I will stick with the arrive in the afternoon or evening and leave in the morning.

Anyone who has kids knows what "Mommy and Daddy are going to take a nap now" means. That is all I could think about and laugh!
I have overheard guests say that here and I laugh too, there are no kids pulling on your leg, you can freely go to your room and be alone..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I have overheard guests say that here and I laugh too, there are no kids pulling on your leg, you can freely go to your room and be alone.
LOL! We're all about naptime here!
=)
Kk.

i'd rather have the empty room. this is just what people in residential areas express worries about, isn't it? when they say that some kind of illicit activity might be going on if a b&b is permitted in their neighborhood.
i'm not set up for someone coming in for a few hours and then leaving ... for a nap or for another reason ... i still have to clean the whole room so i don't think a discount is appropriate. mid afternoon, i'm done cleaning, or ought to be! ... it's time to switch gears to checking guests in. and maybe stop physically working for a while. i think physical work starting with breakfast prep at 6 and ending with cleaning (hopefully) at 2 is plenty. you still have all the other work of running the place to do ... if someone wants a room for just a little while, they pay the full rate. what if they overstayed and i billed them a discounted 'nap stay'? i would not go to a room and say 'time's up ... you said just 4 hours' no sirree, not me.
and breakfast is not negotiable. it's complimentary and i don't discount if they decide not to eat. the few times someone negotiated for a lower rate for no breakfast, when i first opened, they changed their mind and ate. and then i was in the position of having to charge for the breakfast. had to scurry to my books and look and identify them and then get breakfast money. not fun!

i'd rather have the empty room. this is just what people in residential areas express worries about, isn't it? when they say that some kind of illicit activity might be going on if a b&b is permitted in their neighborhood.
i'm not set up for someone coming in for a few hours and then leaving ... for a nap or for another reason ... i still have to clean the whole room so i don't think a discount is appropriate. mid afternoon, i'm done cleaning, or ought to be! ... it's time to switch gears to checking guests in. and maybe stop physically working for a while. i think physical work starting with breakfast prep at 6 and ending with cleaning (hopefully) at 2 is plenty. you still have all the other work of running the place to do ... if someone wants a room for just a little while, they pay the full rate. what if they overstayed and i billed them a discounted 'nap stay'? i would not go to a room and say 'time's up ... you said just 4 hours' no sirree, not me.
and breakfast is not negotiable. it's complimentary and i don't discount if they decide not to eat. the few times someone negotiated for a lower rate for no breakfast, when i first opened, they changed their mind and ate. and then i was in the position of having to charge for the breakfast. had to scurry to my books and look and identify them and then get breakfast money. not fun!
seashanty said:
i'm not set up for someone coming in for a few hours and then leaving ... for a nap or for another reason ... i still have to clean the whole room so i don't think a discount is appropriate. mid afternoon, i'm done cleaning, or ought to be! ... it's time to switch gears to checking guests in. and maybe stop physically working for a while. i think physical work starting with breakfast prep at 6 and ending with cleaning (hopefully) at 2 is plenty. you still have all the other work of running the place to do ... if someone wants a room for just a little while, they pay the full rate. what if they overstayed and i billed them a discounted 'nap stay'? i would not go to a room and say 'time's up ... you said just 4 hours' no sirree, not me. . . .
A discounted "nap stay" or "day rate" is one step away from an "hourly rate" (wink wink), and I don't think anyone -- the innkeeper or the neighbors -- wants to see that!

I have overheard guests say that here and I laugh too, there are no kids pulling on your leg, you can freely go to your room and be alone..
I guess we are on the same wavelength. That is the first thing that came to my mind also. Sounds like they might be looking for the "No-Tell Motel" HeeHee
teeth_smile.gif
!
SherryCa

Back