How often should I be cleaning ("disinfecting") the sofa and decorative pillows in my unit?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawaiibuilder

Reaction score
I recently purchased three short term vacation rentals. How ofter should the sofa, its pillows and the "decorative" pillow on the bed be cleaned/disinfected?
Drycleaning seems too expensive- any suggestions on how often and HOW would be appreciated?
Thanks

I have a carpet/upholstery cleaning service come in a few times a year and clean the upholstered furniture. Some more than others. I have a chocolate colored velvet sofa in front of a fireplace that shows dirt and spills, so that one gets the most cleaning and I will spot clean it too when necessary. I would say if it looks or smells dirty, it needs cleaning.

My mom from Florida rented a cottage on a lake nearby for three weeks this summer, and the furniture was FILTHY. It was really disgusting, and none of us would even sit on the sofa. We put sheets over all the other furniture. I told her to mention it to the owner, but I'm sure she didn't....not her style.
I think you should clean it at least once a season, especially before and after your busy season.

I have a carpet/upholstery cleaning service come in a few times a year and clean the upholstered furniture. Some more than others. I have a chocolate colored velvet sofa in front of a fireplace that shows dirt and spills, so that one gets the most cleaning and I will spot clean it too when necessary. I would say if it looks or smells dirty, it needs cleaning..
Thanks - I certainly would clean it if it smelled or looked dirty. We are in Hawaii so we really don't have a season per say. I just started in Feb and got all new furiture and bedding and concerns on how clean is it - even if it looks clean. God only knows what is done with them/on them in rentals and I was maybe overthinking if it needed to be "sanitized" on some regular basis....and I was wondering what others felt and were doing. I guess I am overthinking.

My mom from Florida rented a cottage on a lake nearby for three weeks this summer, and the furniture was FILTHY. It was really disgusting, and none of us would even sit on the sofa. We put sheets over all the other furniture. I told her to mention it to the owner, but I'm sure she didn't....not her style.
I think you should clean it at least once a season, especially before and after your busy season..
Thanks - I certainly would clean it if it smelled or looked dirty. We are in Hawaii so we really don't have a season per say. I just started in Feb and got all new furiture and bedding and concerns on how clean is it - even if it looks clean. God only knows what is done with them/on them in rentals and I was maybe overthinking if it needed to be "sanitized" on some regular basis....and I was wondering what others felt and were doing. I guess I am overthinking.

Back