How should you treat your best customers?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for this one. I was mulling over a discount program that was giving new guests a better deal than the ones who have stuck it out with us.

It reminds me of the old saying about not having to say I love you, they should already know. Always nice to be reminded.

Thanks for this one. I was mulling over a discount program that was giving new guests a better deal than the ones who have stuck it out with us..
Along these lines is the argument I had with my DSL provider. They have an AMAZING deal going on right now for NEW customers. Smokin' fast internet plus unlimited long distance for a set rate for the next 5 years. Okay, that's a good deal. The difference between that offer and my current bill is $50!
I was on the phone with them and asked why I should stay with them when the new blood is more important than those of us who have been paying their bills for the last 10 years. Loyalty should not be rewarded, per se, I don't think, but it should be appreciated.

Thanks for this one. I was mulling over a discount program that was giving new guests a better deal than the ones who have stuck it out with us..
Along these lines is the argument I had with my DSL provider. They have an AMAZING deal going on right now for NEW customers. Smokin' fast internet plus unlimited long distance for a set rate for the next 5 years. Okay, that's a good deal. The difference between that offer and my current bill is $50!
I was on the phone with them and asked why I should stay with them when the new blood is more important than those of us who have been paying their bills for the last 10 years. Loyalty should not be rewarded, per se, I don't think, but it should be appreciated.
That's probably one of the easiest deals to get. They generally do want you to stay and will give you a deal. We've done that a few times. We had an introductory deal on ours and haven't paid full price yet.

Don't get me started on that one! The current new customer "deal" for a bundle (phone/internet/Cable TV) for our provider was less than HALF of what we were paying. After numerous calls to finally get to the right person who would even listen to what we were saying (why should we stay with you after 7 years when you are offering this to new customers and we can't get it AND we can jump to another provider and get a similar deal), they offered us $20 off our package. Only $20!!
angry_smile.gif

I guess these companies haven't bought into the marketing theory of the higher cost of acquiring new customers vs. keeping existing ones OR people jump around so much with this type of service that it doesn't apply.
Sooooooooo, we have chipped away at our service to get it to what we feel more comfortable paying (which is still higher than the bundle package for new customers btw). Next thing to go with be Cable TV and then we'll only pay for Internet service since we don't need Cable TV for guests anymore. I'm not kidding...

Don't get me started on that one! The current new customer "deal" for a bundle (phone/internet/Cable TV) for our provider was less than HALF of what we were paying. After numerous calls to finally get to the right person who would even listen to what we were saying (why should we stay with you after 7 years when you are offering this to new customers and we can't get it AND we can jump to another provider and get a similar deal), they offered us $20 off our package. Only $20!!
angry_smile.gif

I guess these companies haven't bought into the marketing theory of the higher cost of acquiring new customers vs. keeping existing ones OR people jump around so much with this type of service that it doesn't apply.
Sooooooooo, we have chipped away at our service to get it to what we feel more comfortable paying (which is still higher than the bundle package for new customers btw). Next thing to go with be Cable TV and then we'll only pay for Internet service since we don't need Cable TV for guests anymore. I'm not kidding...
Call and ask to speak to someone in the "Retaining Department". They are the ones who are authorizing to do the "how low can you go" deals...That's how I got it. At the end, I told them that I went from being a minorly disappointed customer to a satisfied customer. And I thanked them for working with me.

Penelope said:
This stirs up the fire within me. I have been through this route for years and now have it on my calendar reminders. My first eye opener was with the big phone company back when all these small fly by night companies were advertising phones w/long distance for a song. I was paying over $100 for 2 lines with extended calling to big city, no other long distance. The
lightbulb.gif
came on and I called MAW and said - get me a better deal or I'm history. What I found out is that as long as you keep paying your bill, they will continue to charge you the big dollars while their current prices and those of their compeditors have gone down significantly. And the same goes for these welcome to our company plans. Once they've got you they think they can abuse you. And these fixed rate for x years... may only s### you in the end because the technology will only make things cheaper.

I think that the customer who is in front of you at the time is the most important.
Mine was with car insurance. When we moved to this state because of the job and bought a car here and had to of course insure it in this state I called the insurance company and made the change of address that we were now in another state and the insurance should change-duh! its a nationwide insurance (get it?) it wasn't local or anything like that so they did without changing my cost. Lo and behold it came up for renewal and they sent this renewal to my old address that i had changed six months ago so it took longer to recieve it and so I called to tell them that Im in blabla state and the insurance had to change to the state im in-they said that we had to get insurance in blabla state (that we are in right now) and here is their phone number-so I call and eventhough I have been a good customer and have been there for a number of years and have gotten no tickets or accidents the insurance went up considerably. At the time I said ok so that in the meantime before the next payment we would look for something less expensive and I found it. Called the former insurance company and told them to cancel and that I got another new insurancee they proceeded to ask WHY-I said cause you upped my payment-well lets see what we can do- I said apparently you didnt hear me- you said that when I needed to change from my former state to blabla state that its because of the state but I got insurance that is costing me the same that you were charging me for my former state-so can you do that or less? Well...bla bla bla! I said-just cancel-then I had to go to the bank which charged me $30 for a stop payment on the monthly withdrawl of the monthly payment because the insurance company needed 5-10 days to cancel the paymnet going through-which is a lie ( I hate banks too) and had to fax the cancelation letter that he e-mailed TWICE because the first time he did not receive it-what a pain in the
potty-mouth.gif
So apparently it you as a long standing customer have no standing-thats what makes me sooo mad and then when you tell them you went elsewere they want to "deal"-sometimes its just too late.

angry_smile.gif

Call and ask to speak to someone in the "Retaining Department". They are the ones who are authorizing to do the "how low can you go" deals...That's how I got it. At the end, I told them that I went from being a minorly disappointed customer to a satisfied customer. And I thanked them for working with me.
Been there, done that...they are the ones that could offer $20/off as their best deal... Unlike you, we told them that we appreciated the token and that the only reason we were staying was because too many people had our email addresses. It was the truth...

I think that the customer who is in front of you at the time is the most important.
Mine was with car insurance. When we moved to this state because of the job and bought a car here and had to of course insure it in this state I called the insurance company and made the change of address that we were now in another state and the insurance should change-duh! its a nationwide insurance (get it?) it wasn't local or anything like that so they did without changing my cost. Lo and behold it came up for renewal and they sent this renewal to my old address that i had changed six months ago so it took longer to recieve it and so I called to tell them that Im in blabla state and the insurance had to change to the state im in-they said that we had to get insurance in blabla state (that we are in right now) and here is their phone number-so I call and eventhough I have been a good customer and have been there for a number of years and have gotten no tickets or accidents the insurance went up considerably. At the time I said ok so that in the meantime before the next payment we would look for something less expensive and I found it. Called the former insurance company and told them to cancel and that I got another new insurancee they proceeded to ask WHY-I said cause you upped my payment-well lets see what we can do- I said apparently you didnt hear me- you said that when I needed to change from my former state to blabla state that its because of the state but I got insurance that is costing me the same that you were charging me for my former state-so can you do that or less? Well...bla bla bla! I said-just cancel-then I had to go to the bank which charged me $30 for a stop payment on the monthly withdrawl of the monthly payment because the insurance company needed 5-10 days to cancel the paymnet going through-which is a lie ( I hate banks too) and had to fax the cancelation letter that he e-mailed TWICE because the first time he did not receive it-what a pain in the
potty-mouth.gif
So apparently it you as a long standing customer have no standing-thats what makes me sooo mad and then when you tell them you went elsewere they want to "deal"-sometimes its just too late..
Banks... Yes, they were so sorry to have me close my biz account and not convert it to a personal account. Why was I leaving? Well, you changed the rules because your small print said you could, but I can put my money elsewhere, pay no fees, not have to keep a huge minimum balance, and at least earn some pitiful interest. There's no service anymore....
I'm starting to sound like my mother...

potty-mouth.gif
So apparently it you as a long standing customer have no standing-thats what makes me sooo mad and then when you tell them you went elsewere they want to "deal"-sometimes its just too late..
Banks... Yes, they were so sorry to have me close my biz account and not convert it to a personal account. Why was I leaving? Well, you changed the rules because your small print said you could, but I can put my money elsewhere, pay no fees, not have to keep a huge minimum balance, and at least earn some pitiful interest. There's no service anymore....
Samster said:
Good for you! I was horrified at a news story yesterday that showed a large bank illegally charged and then foreclosed on an active military family in California. The story was about 3 minutes long, then they switched to 8 minutes on Lindsey Lohan's current saga...this is news to me why?
I wish more people would realize how at the mercy of the banking system they are, that they do have choices and that there are responsible lenders out there who deserve our business.

New customer incentives is as old as time.......
We do it.....getting new contracts in spring.
I do treat all customers basicaly the same...are there ones we like and appreciate more?.....you bet.....and we do take care of them........are there ones we like and appreciate less?...........sure, we provide service. Won't bend over backwards for them.

potty-mouth.gif
Samster said:
Good for you! I was horrified at a news story yesterday that showed a large bank illegally charged and then foreclosed on an active military family in California. The story was about 3 minutes long, then they switched to 8 minutes on Lindsey Lohan's current saga...this is news to me why?
I wish more people would realize how at the mercy of the banking system they are, that they do have choices and that there are responsible lenders out there who deserve our business.
I know we didn't start off on banks, but by golly! We have a biz loan with what we thought was a very good bank. We've been thru 4 loan officers already. We personally think we've overpaid our loan by almost $50k. We're hiring an independent auditor to review what we've paid out. The latest loan officer we have couldn't even figure out how the loan was written.
However, I called around to see what we could get for interest rates and every other bank wanted twice what this bank was charging us. So, we get the auditor to look it over and see what's what and then we'll fight with the bank if we have to.

potty-mouth.gif
Samster said:
I know we didn't start off on banks, but by golly! We have a biz loan with what we thought was a very good bank. We've been thru 4 loan officers already. We personally think we've overpaid our loan by almost $50k. We're hiring an independent auditor to review what we've paid out. The latest loan officer we have couldn't even figure out how the loan was written.
However, I called around to see what we could get for interest rates and every other bank wanted twice what this bank was charging us. So, we get the auditor to look it over and see what's what and then we'll fight with the bank if we have to.
Yeesch....good luck with that. Sounds like a pain in the patoot.

As many of you know, 2.5 years ago, 100% paid up AND overpaid on my morgage, working 2 jobs, not a monster loan, perfect credit, no major debts other than my house and ONE cc (no car, student or medical bils) I asked Wachovia to take 6 months of my loan + interest and fees and add it to the end "in anticipation" of the worsening economy and my other job which had been cutting my pay. I had been with them for 20 years, never bounced a check .. the refused because I was not in default. Then months later they refused because I was. It went all the way to the Pres of Wachovia and Wells Fargo, through an attorney, to CBS and nada - they basically just stonewalled me all the way, hence a bankruptcy to save the Inn which is all I have. When It came to the bankrutpcy I was just over 6 months in arrears, almost what I had asked them for in the first place ..and now back to paying my loan AND arrears (ie more) under bankruptcy than before .... and making it ... so far .....So don't get me started on those guys!!

Back