How to Be a Better Hotel Guest

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here it is from someone in the hotel world:
Every hotel in every city will require a method of payment. Even if you prepaid your room and tax, and intend on charging nothing to your room, you WILL need to put something down for incidentals (things charged to the room). This is the one rule that NO hotel will break - don't even ask!
Why, then do guests insist, fervently, that they have never, ever been asked for payment (ie- a credit card) before check-out???

Every hotel in every city will require a method of payment. Even if you prepaid your room and tax, and intend on charging nothing to your room, you WILL need to put something down for incidentals (things charged to the room). This is the one rule that NO hotel will break - don't even ask!
Why, then do guests insist, fervently, that they have never, ever been asked for payment (ie- a credit card) before check-out???.
They are all telling you the absolute...
Truth-and-lies1.gif

Why, then do guests insist, fervently, that they have never, ever been asked for payment (ie- a credit card) before check-out???.
They are all telling you the absolute...
Truth-and-lies1.gif

Some of the comments are eye-opening and certainly explain why we run into the kinds of obnoxious guests we do...'I paid for it so you'd better...'
What is it about handing over money that makes some people think they own you?

Mind you had a group of guests asked them to pay the night before they said" no problem its not like we are going to stay and then in the morning you are going to say no breakfast for you is it? we can just leave the keys on the desk then so you arn't hassled during breakfast" at least some get it!

Mind you had a group of guests asked them to pay the night before they said" no problem its not like we are going to stay and then in the morning you are going to say no breakfast for you is it? we can just leave the keys on the desk then so you arn't hassled during breakfast" at least some get it!.
It's amazing how few get it. Often I am alone for breakfast, I can't handle payment and serving breakfast at the same time.
And the French want to shake my hand in the morning... my nice clean hands for cooking.

There's some good points in this article, and is probably true of most high end hotels, but.....
Sometimes:
The bored teenager on the front desk isn't keeping me waiting because they're dealing with other guests, they're chatting and mucking about with other members of staff, who are also failing to do the job they're paid to do.
People get irrate at the front desk because staff really couldn't care a less if guests have problems with hot water, house-keeping or noise and just fob them off or make promises that never materialise.
If you stand at a respectful distance from the desk and wait patiently to be seen the front desk staff serve the guests who "bull-rush the desk" while you wait like an idiot.

There's some good points in this article, and is probably true of most high end hotels, but.....
Sometimes:
The bored teenager on the front desk isn't keeping me waiting because they're dealing with other guests, they're chatting and mucking about with other members of staff, who are also failing to do the job they're paid to do.
People get irrate at the front desk because staff really couldn't care a less if guests have problems with hot water, house-keeping or noise and just fob them off or make promises that never materialise.
If you stand at a respectful distance from the desk and wait patiently to be seen the front desk staff serve the guests who "bull-rush the desk" while you wait like an idiot..
Highlands John said:
Sometimes:
If you stand at a respectful distance from the desk and wait patiently to be seen the front desk staff serve the guests who "bull-rush the desk" while you wait like an idiot.
We went to Tybee Island GA this summer, a barrier island in Georgia and when I arrived at the hotel after 7 hour drive to get there three clerks stood and gossiped and didn't offer to assist me, so I stood there. No they weren't working on an issue.
Once I got checked in, I asked about the Mexican restaurant on the way in, and was told there are no mexican restaurants on the island. There are actually 2 1/2 (one is a taco stand one block from this very hotel) so you could say 3. It was as if a) they were completely stupid; or b) they had fun screwing with people who visit.

Sometimes:
If you stand at a respectful distance from the desk and wait patiently to be seen the front desk staff serve the guests who "bull-rush the desk" while you wait like an idiot..
Highlands John said:
Sometimes:
We went to Tybee Island GA this summer, a barrier island in Georgia and when I arrived at the hotel after 7 hour drive to get there three clerks stood and gossiped and didn't offer to assist me, so I stood there. No they weren't working on an issue.
Once I got checked in, I asked about the Mexican restaurant on the way in, and was told there are no mexican restaurants on the island. There are actually 2 1/2 (one is a taco stand one block from this very hotel) so you could say 3. It was as if a) they were completely stupid; or b) they had fun screwing with people who visit.
Joey Bloggs said:
It's a game to try that around here- the old 'where can I find?' game to see what the retail, restaurant and tourist info people say when asked. (I can't do this with tourist info because they know me, but I can do it very easily in shops.)
They don't know where the bathrooms in town are. They don't know there are B&B's. The only 'hotel' they know is the one where they park. They can't direct tourists to the public parks. ('You have to go to...there are no parks in this town.)
I don't think they do it purposefully, they just don't look beyond their cell phone when they're walking/driving to work.

Sometimes:
Highlands John said:
Sometimes:
From my experience here they simply have no fricking clue what is round them. when my DH does shifts for his football ticket money at one of the big hotels he says they have no clue that there are anything other than big hotels in harrogate anything else no clue. they are hopeless with attractions and restaurants or anything else.

Sometimes:
Highlands John said:
Sometimes:
From my experience here they simply have no fricking clue what is round them. when my DH does shifts for his football ticket money at one of the big hotels he says they have no clue that there are anything other than big hotels in harrogate anything else no clue. they are hopeless with attractions and restaurants or anything else.
I was from WV and had only lived in this area of Illinois for less than 10 years when I worked relief Night audit for a big chain hotel. Very few of the front desk staff - who had lived there all their lives - could direct guests to things they were looking for. I was the go to directions person. This also included how to get to things in Chicago.

Sometimes:
Highlands John said:
Sometimes:
I was from WV and had only lived in this area of Illinois for less than 10 years when I worked relief Night audit for a big chain hotel. Very few of the front desk staff - who had lived there all their lives - could direct guests to things they were looking for. I was the go to directions person. This also included how to get to things in Chicago.
our problem here is 90% of hotel staff are not local and not even UK which doesn't help and the ones that are most are about 17 or 18 and are doing it to mark time and save up for university so don't see it as a life career just filling in time.

Back