How to Deskunk a Dog?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last week or so, I have a skunk (or skunks) tearing up my whole yard. I'd have D. shoot it, but am afraid it would stink the place up badly. Thank god he's only been rooting around in the back so far, I guess I'll have to go next door and borrow the trap from our neighboor, who did a great job getting rid of them for the last few years..
And..what will you do with it when and if you do trap one???? We had one accidently get into our groundhog trap. Friends were taking care of the place for us..so imagine when they found the skunk. Very carefully had to use a real long piece of wood to open the door to let it out. Thankfully it didn't spray them.:)
catlady said:
And..what will you do with it when and if you do trap one???? We had one accidently get into our groundhog trap. Friends were taking care of the place for us..so imagine when they found the skunk. Very carefully had to use a real long piece of wood to open the door to let it out. Thankfully it didn't spray them.:)
I have heard that you cover the trap with a blanket with the skunk in the trap, if they can't see you they don't spray you. Alot of people will throw the whole trap, blanket, and skunk in water and drown the poor thing.

The last week or so, I have a skunk (or skunks) tearing up my whole yard. I'd have D. shoot it, but am afraid it would stink the place up badly. Thank god he's only been rooting around in the back so far, I guess I'll have to go next door and borrow the trap from our neighboor, who did a great job getting rid of them for the last few years..
catlady said:
I have heard that you cover the trap with a blanket with the skunk in the trap, if they can't see you they don't spray you. Alot of people will throw the whole trap, blanket, and skunk in water and drown the poor thing.
cherry64 said:
catlady said:
That works to shield you from an accidental spraying but the reality is that skunks are mostly nocturnal and have tiny, little, very sensitive eyes and will usually be asleep in the trap come daylight.
I didn't believe it until after trapping one that had gotten under our living quarters and wanting to release it miles from the house. It rode in the back of the truck without even blinking all the way to where I released it.
They may be one of the more offensive pests we get, but that kind of cruelty to any living creature is abhorent to me.
Unrelated but I see Michael Vick got a standing ovation in his return to the NFL last night. Now thats offensive!

catlady said:
cherry64 said:
catlady said:
That works to shield you from an accidental spraying but the reality is that skunks are mostly nocturnal and have tiny, little, very sensitive eyes and will usually be asleep in the trap come daylight.
I didn't believe it until after trapping one that had gotten under our living quarters and wanting to release it miles from the house. It rode in the back of the truck without even blinking all the way to where I released it.
They may be one of the more offensive pests we get, but that kind of cruelty to any living creature is abhorent to me.
Unrelated but I see Michael Vick got a standing ovation in his return to the NFL last night. Now thats offensive!
[/quote]
[/quote]
I agree. I propose he be stripped naked. Smeared in liver and tossed to the dogs.
I'm just saying...ya know, just desserts and all....

catlady said:
cherry64 said:
catlady said:
I agree with Tim on the nocturnal part. This incident happened really early in the morning while it was still dark; which is why I didn't know until the release, what had taken place.
I give it credit for patience. He was barking for a long time before the spray actually came. I was more worried about the neighbors being mad about being woken up by the barking because he wouldn't stop or come in until it was over.
I have never seen a skunk dead or alive around here in the daylight.

Hey Swirt. You wanted a pic. Here's one of Buford's new Biohazard Suit.
Dog_Raincoat.jpg

This really works. My Sasha can't resist chasing skunks.
[FONT=&quot]Mix one pint hydrogen peroxide with 1/3 cup baking soda and a squirt of dish detergent. Mix well and apply to dog being careful to keep out of eyes and mouth. It will be quite foamy. Rub around well and than rinse off well with warm water. It certainly is less messy than tomato juice and much more effective. It works because it neutralizes the acid of the skunk spray....a chemical reaction.[/FONT]
RIki
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Mix one pint hydrogen peroxide with 1/3 cup baking soda and a squirt of dish detergent. Mix well and apply to dog being careful to keep out of eyes and mouth. It will be quite foamy. Rub around well and than rinse off well with warm water. It certainly is less messy than tomato juice and much more effective. It works because it neutralizes the acid of the skunk spray....a chemical reaction.[/FONT]
RIki
[FONT=&quot][/FONT].
egoodell said:
RIki
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Wear gloves or you'll have skunky smellin' hands!!
omg_smile.gif

Well I'm happy to report that Buford is back to normal. Well, almost anyway. After the Garnier Fructis "Tousle Me Softly" shampoo and conditioner, we didn't have any dog shampoo on hand; he's a lot fluffier than normal. Also, after all the scented fabric softener I had to put in his clothes; he looks and smells more like a French poodle now. A French poodle in a biohazard suit.

Another tip...wear gloves when deskunking and clothes you don't mind throwing away! My daughter learned this the hard way, as that oil gets on you in the process of cleaning...

I think I'm going to buy a trap...according to all I've read, the repellent products don't work. This looks like a good trap to use..expensive, but the testimonials are awesome!
http://www.theskunker.com/Default.aspx?tabid=90

i disagree that tomato juice does not work ~ in my experience, it did work in deskunking a german shepherd. but i had to use SO MUCH! i had i think dozen big bottles of it. i stood my shepherd in the tub and poured loads of it over him, rubbing it into his fur ~ especially round the face and chest where he took the 'hit'. then rinsing it all out. then shampooing with dog shampoo. then rinsing that out .
not a pleasant job. not at all.
the second time it happened (no, he did not learn the first time but may have come across the skunk by accident) i used a plastic kiddie pool in the yard as his tub.

RIki
[FONT=&quot][/FONT].
egoodell said:
RIki
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
omg_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
egoodell said:
RIki
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
omg_smile.gif
I forgot to say that. Yes, I got stinky cleaning him. But it works the best.
RIki

I think I'm going to buy a trap...according to all I've read, the repellent products don't work. This looks like a good trap to use..expensive, but the testimonials are awesome!
Little Blue said:
I think that it's funny that after the sales rep talks about catching the skunk, he says "then you do whatever you can[to get rid of the skunk]. Keep in mind that the skunk's rear end is pointing toward the opening. You have to figure out how to open the door and get the skunk out without getting sprayed in the process.
I have a screen wire trap. I just wrap it in a double layer of trash bags. If I get a skunk, I introduce him to Jesus with a .22 slug....problem solved.

Little Blue said:
I think that it's funny that after the sales rep talks about catching the skunk, he says "then you do whatever you can[to get rid of the skunk]. Keep in mind that the skunk's rear end is pointing toward the opening. You have to figure out how to open the door and get the skunk out without getting sprayed in the process.
I have a screen wire trap. I just wrap it in a double layer of trash bags. If I get a skunk, I introduce him to Jesus with a .22 slug....problem solved.
I won't ever shoot another critter. Shot a ground squirrel once that was tunneling all over...hit him in the eye with a pellet gun, but didn't kill him. Then, I stood over him and bawled while he crawled under the shed to die, blood pumping out of his eye. That was pretty bad, I felt sick about it for a week.

Little Blue said:
I won't ever shoot another critter. Shot a ground squirrel once that was tunneling all over...hit him in the eye with a pellet gun, but didn't kill him. Then, I stood over him and bawled while he crawled under the shed to die, blood pumping out of his eye. That was pretty bad, I felt sick about it for a week.
Little Blue said:
Good thing you don't eat beef or pork.

Little Blue said:
Little Blue said:
Even better that I don't always say what I think!

I think they go after grubs and underground bees nests. The digging usually indicates grubs. Grub killer often results in them moving on to tastier grounds.
They, like rats, racoons and other critters, like to nibble the dog and cat food people leave outside.
sad_smile.gif

KathleenM

Little Blue said:
Little Blue said:
Little Blue said:
You just did.

Back