How to dispose of an old TV

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
A few weeks ago DH splurged and got himself a flat screen TV. I expected to just give the old one - large screen w/DVD/VHS in the TV - to the Mission. A friend suggested calling them before lugging it there. They do not want it. Now what?
I lugged it out to the curb (with remoted taped to it and cable converter box attached). Then I taped a sign on the front of it.
I NEED A HOME. I WORK GREAT. REPLACED BY A GIFT. DARN IT!
An hour later DH informed me it was gone.

I have 2 old 17" CRT monitors, 2 old fax machines, and a bunch of other such stuff sitting in closets because the trash men won't accept stuff like that and I don't know what to do with them. They still work, but are completely obsolete and nobody wants them and I don't need any more paperweights.

Yeah even our thrift store doesn't want them! Glad someone took it. All our old electronics goes to our recycle center. I don't want it taking up space around here.

Around here, I put things like that on craigslist FREE, so that someone in need can take them. In fact, I do that with sheets, towels that need mending, etc. Works wonder. But I'm in the big city. Maybe a sign in the supermarket for someone who needs an extra TV?

we use freecycle its fricking great! last thing to go was a double mattress that I was changing - was no way going to fit in my yaris to go to the tip - put on freecycle came and collected same day and cost me nothing.
Plus its good advertising. People on freecycle always need something like old bedding for dogs, cups that are a bit scratched for people setting up a new home and so on. If any furniture gets worn we give that away as well.
we have a regular lady who takes all our jam jars, padded envelopes, egg boxes and individual cereal boxes which saves us a lot of rubbish.

we use freecycle its fricking great! last thing to go was a double mattress that I was changing - was no way going to fit in my yaris to go to the tip - put on freecycle came and collected same day and cost me nothing.
Plus its good advertising. People on freecycle always need something like old bedding for dogs, cups that are a bit scratched for people setting up a new home and so on. If any furniture gets worn we give that away as well.
we have a regular lady who takes all our jam jars, padded envelopes, egg boxes and individual cereal boxes which saves us a lot of rubbish..
Same here. Anything I can't sell on ebay goes on freecycle. Our old fridge/freezer which I would have had to pay the council £15 to take away went to a young girl who'd just set up home and she was delighted with it.
In fact I've just today got rid of two old wicker chairs which we've replaced with nie new tub chairs in two guest rooms.

We send ours to critter- aid and things to the S..P.C.A. Just have to give them a phone call and they come and pick it up. Also big brothers and sisters will pick it up, for their stores called Value Village.

we have a regular lady who takes all our jam jars, padded envelopes, egg boxes and individual cereal boxes which saves us a lot of rubbish..
We do not have freecycle. I have called the mission and they picked up mattress & box spring, recliner chair - lots of stuff. But no one wanted a TV - except whoever decided to give it a good home from my curb.

We do not have freecycle. I have called the mission and they picked up mattress & box spring, recliner chair - lots of stuff. But no one wanted a TV - except whoever decided to give it a good home from my curb.
gillumhouse said:
You know what they say. Put it at the curb with a $150 price on it and it will disappear overnight.

I have 2 old 17" CRT monitors, 2 old fax machines, and a bunch of other such stuff sitting in closets because the trash men won't accept stuff like that and I don't know what to do with them. They still work, but are completely obsolete and nobody wants them and I don't need any more paperweights..
Here the state requires the seller/manufacturer/municipality to provide the means to dispose of it. It's usually around $5-$10 a pop to take stuff to the dump and put it in the electronics recycling pile.

Same here. Anything I can't sell on ebay goes on freecycle. Our old fridge/freezer which I would have had to pay the council £15 to take away went to a young girl who'd just set up home and she was delighted with it.
In fact I've just today got rid of two old wicker chairs which we've replaced with nie new tub chairs in two guest rooms.
Its amazing what people need!

gillumhouse said:
You know what they say. Put it at the curb with a $150 price on it and it will disappear overnight.
When the garbage men are on strike, wrap it up in gift wrap, put a card on it. Leave it on your step as if you forgot it there and in a few hours you no longer have a garbage problem :)

Pawn shops will also buy them. We actually bought nice, large TVs for our rooms for cheap from pawn shops. Before we replaced some with flat screens.

Many of the chain electronics stores will take them and recycle them . example: BestBuy will take them, for some sizes they charge but then give you a gift card equal to the charge.

Back