How to get the TTY scammers to hang up quickly

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Sure, all of the calls are scammers but I don't want to insult a real guest so I take the call. Well, this one hung up as soon as I said there were no managers on site that she could talk to. That was it.

thumbs_up.gif

I have had four calls in the last 10 days

We got another of the "Windows tech" calls today, shameful.

Sometimes I think I'm too naive to function in the real world, but how do these scams work?

I had 3 calls in the space of 10 minutes the other morning. I'm upstairs cleaning rooms and the phone is downstairs.
By the 3rd time I'd run downstairs I was ready to swear down the phone, but it turned out to be a well known card processing company offering to beat my current fees, so I made an appointment for the salesman to call.
He came yesterday and it turns out that they use the same bank to process transactions that I'm currently with so the whole exercise was a complete waste of time.

Sometimes I think I'm too naive to function in the real world, but how do these scams work?.
The windows scam they get you to give them control of your PC, tell you to pay them $299 via Paypal and if they don't, they start to delete your files and trash your computer.
The Nigerian TTY booking scam, they eventually ask you to cash a cheque for a larger amount than the reservation, then forward it to them or an agent for the overpayment. Most people don't realize that it can take MONTHS for a foreign cheque to clear or bounce. Or method two, they use a stolen CC and ask you to send them the money by WU or MG.
There is also the guest packages scam. They order things on stolen CC and then cancel and ask you to forward the stolen goods.

Sometimes I think I'm too naive to function in the real world, but how do these scams work?.
The TTY scam is the same as the 10 priests staying for a month. They get you to run the stolen card for extra money and then refund them some of the money to pay for the rental car or shipping their luggage or whatever.
Then you're stuck when the card ends up being declined when it's reported stolen. You lose the 10 nights, but worse, you lose the actual cash you fronted them.

The TTY scam is the same as the 10 priests staying for a month. They get you to run the stolen card for extra money and then refund them some of the money to pay for the rental car or shipping their luggage or whatever.
Then you're stuck when the card ends up being declined when it's reported stolen. You lose the 10 nights, but worse, you lose the actual cash you fronted them.
I know how all those work, but what do they have to do with TTY? Apparently "TTY" doesn't mean what I think it means (Telephone TYpewriter). Yes, I'm old.

The windows scam they get you to give them control of your PC, tell you to pay them $299 via Paypal and if they don't, they start to delete your files and trash your computer.
The Nigerian TTY booking scam, they eventually ask you to cash a cheque for a larger amount than the reservation, then forward it to them or an agent for the overpayment. Most people don't realize that it can take MONTHS for a foreign cheque to clear or bounce. Or method two, they use a stolen CC and ask you to send them the money by WU or MG.
There is also the guest packages scam. They order things on stolen CC and then cancel and ask you to forward the stolen goods.
also a new version of this is guest books a longish stay ie 11 days and then has stuff sent expedited delivery to himself at your address - he pays your bill on check in with a stolen card as well. He disappears with the delivered items and then the money from the stolen card is then yanked back out of your account

I know how all those work, but what do they have to do with TTY? Apparently "TTY" doesn't mean what I think it means (Telephone TYpewriter). Yes, I'm old.
It's a service for deaf people. They use the service with a 'typewriter' to contact an operator who then relays the info to the hearing person. It's the same scam, tho, except you have a layer of anonymity as the scammer because I never see an phone data from the scammer, just the service.
TTY = Text Telephone (I'm guessing it's really text telephony.)

also a new version of this is guest books a longish stay ie 11 days and then has stuff sent expedited delivery to himself at your address - he pays your bill on check in with a stolen card as well. He disappears with the delivered items and then the money from the stolen card is then yanked back out of your account
eeek. not heard of that one.

It is getting real bad lately with lots of those TTY calls....I have learned all you need to do first off is ask them if this is a scam and they will end the call.

It is getting real bad lately with lots of those TTY calls....I have learned all you need to do first off is ask them if this is a scam and they will end the call..
I used to get lots of the calls saying my pc has a virus and is sending out emails I don't know about. They're pretty insistent that it's not a scam, I could never work out if the people making the calls were just excellent actors or really believed that!!
I used to say "can you give me the IP code of the PC that's sending the emails so I can confirm it's me". At first that flummoxed them and they'd hang up. Then they got wise and said they couldn't tell me for security reasons, and I'd argue that unless they could confirm it was my PC I wasn't going to do what they asked.
You can probably tell that I enjoy winding these people up, on the basis that they're wasting my time so I'm going to waste theirs! And the more of their time I waste the less time they have to trick others less knowledgeable about computers than me.

It is getting real bad lately with lots of those TTY calls....I have learned all you need to do first off is ask them if this is a scam and they will end the call..
When ever you get any call out of the blue like some of these...JUST HANG UP!!! They are ALWAYS SCAMMERS!! How many times do you need to hear this? Do not get sucked in no matter what...HANG UP!

I used to get lots of the calls saying my pc has a virus and is sending out emails I don't know about. They're pretty insistent that it's not a scam, I could never work out if the people making the calls were just excellent actors or really believed that!!
I used to say "can you give me the IP code of the PC that's sending the emails so I can confirm it's me". At first that flummoxed them and they'd hang up. Then they got wise and said they couldn't tell me for security reasons, and I'd argue that unless they could confirm it was my PC I wasn't going to do what they asked.
You can probably tell that I enjoy winding these people up, on the basis that they're wasting my time so I'm going to waste theirs! And the more of their time I waste the less time they have to trick others less knowledgeable about computers than me.
Tell them that you have Linux or that you have a Chrome PC. They won't even know how to fix it. :)

Tell them that you have Linux or that you have a Chrome PC. They won't even know how to fix it. :)
I did that once. They guy wanted me to write down some some 10 character code (no idea why)
He read it out and then I said sorry my pen is not working, and left him hanging on for a bit
He read it out again and then at the end I said sorry, the door bell, hold on, and left him hanging on again
He read it again and then asked me to read it back, I said "Oh sorry, am I supposed to be writing this down"......
At which point he said "I don't think you're taking this seriously", I replied "I'm not, I've got an Apple Mac"............he swore at me and hung up, and I laughed!!!!!

I did that once. They guy wanted me to write down some some 10 character code (no idea why)
He read it out and then I said sorry my pen is not working, and left him hanging on for a bit
He read it out again and then at the end I said sorry, the door bell, hold on, and left him hanging on again
He read it again and then asked me to read it back, I said "Oh sorry, am I supposed to be writing this down"......
At which point he said "I don't think you're taking this seriously", I replied "I'm not, I've got an Apple Mac"............he swore at me and hung up, and I laughed!!!!!
Got one of those "You can be on the first page of Google" calls last week... and the guy tells me off saying that I don't have to be rude to him. Rude to him? He's calling and wasting my time with his nonsense and I'm rude?

It's a service for deaf people. They use the service with a 'typewriter' to contact an operator who then relays the info to the hearing person. It's the same scam, tho, except you have a layer of anonymity as the scammer because I never see an phone data from the scammer, just the service.
Madeleine said:
ITTY = Text Telephone (I'm guessing it's really text telephony.)
And of late the emphasis is on - telePHONY

Madeleine said:
Received one of these yesterday. They said they needed to reserve directly with the manager or owner. My opt out. Sorry they are not available. And I ended the call.

Madeleine said:
Received one of these yesterday. They said they needed to reserve directly with the manager or owner. My opt out. Sorry they are not available. And I ended the call.
Nice that we've found the key to ending the call easily.

Back