How to Handle an Inspection

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
I know an aspiring innkeeper who has put an offer on a b&b. Here's the scenario:
They put an offer for a b&b. The buyers of course want an inspection. The owner's b&b is the kind where people tend hang around all day in their rooms instead of getting up and out after breakfast. An inspection needs to be done, but there is no day where all the guests are checking out.
Do you let an inspector in the rooms that are occupied?
Do you inform the guest that a "maintenance" man needs to get into their rooms for 1/2 an hour? (Yes, it could will take about 1/2 hour for each guest room). The guests at this point don't know the b&b is for sale, nor should they. Anything can happen!
Do you say to the buyer that the inspector can inspect those rooms that are available, but will have to come back a second time to get the other rooms?
How would you deal with the guests when inspectors need to get up in attic spaces, inspect windows both interior and exterior, get on the roof, etc?

Honestly? If it's an actual accepted offer - not a 'the buyer is thinking about an offer, but they want to see all the rooms first' - the innkeeper needs to let the buyer inspect all the rooms. Pick a day in advance and close, or ask the guests to leave for part of the day (with compensation of some kind) due to an inspection. They could be told it's for insurance or fire code or something. If the rooms are occupied but the guest is out, the innkeeper needs to be in the room the entire time it is being inspected. If I were a buyer with an accepted offer I wouldn't be happy with a partial inspection or with having to pay an inspector for two days work.

A commercial inspection? I would let the guests know you need access to the room (no need to state why) and stipulate a time like lunch time, I know the inspectors tend to show up when they want, so I would be very specific with him, rooms first at noon then the rest of the house.

they hang around in their rooms all day? if the place is booked solid, guests will have to be told 'we will need access to your room for an inspection during your visit. your innkeeper will remain with the inspector at all times while in guest rooms' etc. offer special refreshments etc for while the inspection is taking place if need be.
really ... a serious offer means full access and inspection ... and someone might catch on ... but let's say you are changing your property insurance coverage, which i just did ... they came in and inspected the whole place. (private home, not a b&b) but not 1/2 hour in each room? that would surprise me.

What are the laws to access a guest's room from someone outside the B&B? Actually, there might be something prohibiting this. The inspection might have to be other areas, then come back for guest rooms.
I would not be worried about guests catching on as much as how to get in for him/her to inspect. Telling guests it is an inspection is no big deal, imo.

PS When we hired a profess commercial inspector he was concerned with the backbone of the building, hvac, water heaters (he said there were 3 and there are 2) and structural issues, not guest rooms as much..

PS When we hired a profess commercial inspector he was concerned with the backbone of the building, hvac, water heaters (he said there were 3 and there are 2) and structural issues, not guest rooms as much...
Ours spent some time in every room, although the structure was the bulk of his time. It was a day-long process. In the rooms, he checked things like GFI circuits, water pressure, looked for structural cracks and settling - that kind of stuff. I don't know of any laws restricting access for inspections - if you are a landlord with a tenant, you can have an inspection as long as you give the tenant notice.

PS When we hired a profess commercial inspector he was concerned with the backbone of the building, hvac, water heaters (he said there were 3 and there are 2) and structural issues, not guest rooms as much...
Joey Bloggs said:
PS When we hired a profess commercial inspector he was concerned with the backbone of the building, hvac, water heaters (he said there were 3 and there are 2) and structural issues, not guest rooms as much..
LOVE your new avatar!! Made me laugh because I feel the same way about coffee
shades_smile.gif

Stuff needs to be done. The inspector should be given a time during which the inspection has to take place. I'm sure this isn't their first inspection of a lodging property. The guests should be told, on arrival, that a building inspection will be taking place between these hours, please close and lock your suitcases and vacate your room for this time period. Offer a lunch on the house, if that's what it takes to launch them out the door.
We tried getting a radon test done here and the innkeepers refused to allow the test in a guest room and insisted they could not live with the windows closed for the 24-48 hours required by the test. And this was with a firm offer. Finally, we got them to close off one room and put the test kit in there. Failed miserably, and they knew that was going to happen because we found out they had had the same test done themselves and they failed to disclose that.

they hang around in their rooms all day? if the place is booked solid, guests will have to be told 'we will need access to your room for an inspection during your visit. your innkeeper will remain with the inspector at all times while in guest rooms' etc. offer special refreshments etc for while the inspection is taking place if need be.
really ... a serious offer means full access and inspection ... and someone might catch on ... but let's say you are changing your property insurance coverage, which i just did ... they came in and inspected the whole place. (private home, not a b&b) but not 1/2 hour in each room? that would surprise me..
The reason for 1/2 hour in each room is that the rooms are not only large, but have jetted tubs and the waterheaters are located in the guest room behind false walls in the closets. All items in the closets will have to be removed, wall taken off, then put back on when inspection is over.
The property is booked solid. The best that can happen is to schedule with 1/2 the rooms being turned over (2) and the rest stay overs.

Ahhh yes tubs and indiv water heaters, much more time needed per room. Well where there is a will there is a way! I know if it were me I would work it out even if the river did rise!
Someone BUY OUR B&B and let this be a problem for me...please. :)

well then, this might be easier than you think ... as in, maintenance and inspection of the jetted tubs and required cleaning must be carried out ... or some such. romantic place, huh?
awww, jb!

OK, guess I might be safe mentioning it now. We have our own buyer's inspection coming this Tuesday...miracle of miracles, no guests in house that morning so far...had one, and he changed dates right after the inspection was scheduled...divine providence? I sure hope so.

OK, guess I might be safe mentioning it now. We have our own buyer's inspection coming this Tuesday...miracle of miracles, no guests in house that morning so far...had one, and he changed dates right after the inspection was scheduled...divine providence? I sure hope so..
Have crossed everything crossable!

LB! I am so excited for you. I am containing it though, don't want to jump the gun. Every time DH walks in from work and I say "Guess what?" He says, "We sold the B&B!" I say, "No there is a sale on tomatoes at Kroger" I guess I better stop saying "guess what." But I tell him after his disappointment each time that I would be doing daffy ducks if we sold, not saying "guess what."

OK, guess I might be safe mentioning it now. We have our own buyer's inspection coming this Tuesday...miracle of miracles, no guests in house that morning so far...had one, and he changed dates right after the inspection was scheduled...divine providence? I sure hope so..
Might be worth it to block it out so no one books last minute. Ideally you let the inspector in and lock up when they leave. That way if they "discover" something that is nothing you do not know about it and don't need to worry about it with the next buyer if this one does not work out.

Oh wow...good luck. Are they buying the B & B or as a private home. No matter which...hope it all works for you.

Back