How to handle private innkeeper events while guests are present?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are so laid back here, pretty much anybody that wanders in off the street is welcome. When the weather permits, we invite guest down for a glass of wine or a beer and neighbors and friends always show up. It turns into a party..
Proud Texan said:
We are so laid back here, pretty much anybody that wanders in off the street is welcome. When the weather permits, we invite guest down for a glass of wine or a beer and neighbors and friends always show up. It turns into a party.
That's cool...............i'd like that

Wow... quite a variety of opinions... thanks!
So, what I'm hearing as general guidelines are:
1) Don't invite guests, unless you really like them.
2) Do the entertaining in a way so as to minimize intruding on "guest/common space"
I wonder how this will play out since we are a single-room B&B...
Thanks again!

2) Do the entertaining in a way so as to minimize intruding on "guest/common space"
Thanks again!.
I'd skip #1 altogether. You may THINK you like the guests but you may find it difficult to maintain the 'space' you need as the owner.

Thanks again!.
I'd skip #1 altogether. You may THINK you like the guests but you may find it difficult to maintain the 'space' you need as the owner.
Good point.

Thanks again!.
Good point.
We've been very lucky that our guests who have become friends have not decided that certain rules don't apply to them once that 'friend' boundary is crossed. But, I could see how it would happen very easily.
The boundary issue is breached with kids. The ones who like us want to follow us all over the house, including coming into our apt to play with the dog. Very young kids don't get it at all and will just open our door and come in. Older kids will knock, but they still want to come in. We have to 'come out to play' so we can maintain our privacy.
And, yes, it's ok with us to take time to hang out with the kids. After all, a happy kid makes for a happy parent makes for a return visit.
Not that this will be an issue with your place as your focus is more on executive travel. It's just an example of how fluid the line can be and you have to be careful who crosses it.
You may find at first that you like everyone just because it's all new.

Considering some of the horror stories we heard from various Innkeepers while we were looking into whether we wanted to do this or not, I'll just keep my fingers crossed that we "like everyone". ;-)

Can there be a single room B&B or is it a homestay? Just wondering.

Can there be a single room B&B or is it a homestay? Just wondering..
Joey Bloggs said:
As I understand it, a homestay is where the guest shares a living room with the innkeepers, and the guest has breakfast WITH the innkeepers and/or their family. Much more truly like staying with family...far less privacy for everyone concerned. Has nothing to do with the number of rooms offered.

Joey Bloggs said:
As I understand it, a homestay is where the guest shares a living room with the innkeepers, and the guest has breakfast WITH the innkeepers and/or their family. Much more truly like staying with family...far less privacy for everyone concerned. Has nothing to do with the number of rooms offered.
Little Blue said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I was wondering about that. I mean I knew the sharing part, but wondered if there is a minimum # of rooms to be a B&B. I can't recall reading anything about a minimum either, it seems more like a room rental with one room though, imo. There would be no interaction with other guests per se.

My city defines one room as a B&B homestay. All you have to do is get a business license, no inspections by the health department are required.
According to our county business license, we are a "Hotel/Motel" and according to Virginia's tax folks, we are classified as "Inns, Bed & Breakfast". According to our zoning, we "could" have more rooms, but we choose not to -- until we get a good bit more experience -- we want to focus on total guest satisfaction without the danger of "too many guests at once". The only shared room is our kitchen--our living quarters are separated from guest common areas.

Back