How to handle the topic of broken furniture

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
I had a guest depart quietly only to discover a Eastlake Victorian Armchair with a broken leg in the guests room. I intend to charge the guest for damages. How would you handle this?

How big was the guest in weight terms?
How often do you personally check out the furniture as far as looking for cracks in legs, other damage?
Could it have been already cracked and this guest simply sent it over the edge?
Take a digital photo of it immediately before moving it or touching it in any way if you can.
Call the guest as soon as you can and ask in the most innocent and non-threatening voice you can muster about any "accidents" that may have happened in the room.
See what their response is. If they deny anything happened in general, then ask about the broken item and see if they are evasive or defensive.
If you intend to charge for the damage, you must be pretty certain it was non-accidental. Be ready for the bad will generated, but if you're convinced they did it intentionally or malicously, stand your ground.
Calculate or research the original cost of the chair, figure out how many years it been in service, its condition, etc. and come up with a fair amount, not full cost replacement.
Remember, you've written it off as an expense on your taxes, its been used for some time, etc.

Please be careful on the forum with guest personal descriptions. You might want to edit that for security/anon reasons. Just an fyi for your protection, people HAVE found this forum in the past.

How often do you personally check out the furniture as far as looking for cracks in legs, other damage?
Take a digital photo of it immediately before moving it or touching it in any way if you can.
Call the guest as soon as you can and ask in the most innocent and non-threatening voice you can muster about any "accidents" that may have happened in the room.
See what their response is. If they deny anything happened in general, then ask about the broken item and see if they are evasive or defensive.
If you intend to charge for the damage, you must be pretty certain it was non-accidental. Be ready for the bad will generated, but if you're convinced they did it intentionally or malicously, stand your ground.
Calculate or research the original cost of the chair, figure out how many years it been in service, its condition, etc. and come up with a fair amount, not full cost replacement.
Remember, you've written it off as an expense on your taxes, its been used for some time, etc..
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Remember, you've written it off as an expense on your taxes, its been used for some time, etc.
She was not a large woman, but an odd one. She gave me instructions on what she would and would not eat, but then never came to breakfast for the duration of her stay. She also never left her room except at night, so her room was never freshened while she was here. She was here to recover from a large and expensive tattoo. But when she left, she snuck out so quietly, no one heard her leave.
In the room we found burnt matches on the carpet, food remains put in the dresser drawers, candle wax in the carpet and the broken chair. I have never had so much damage in a room.
The powers that be want me take the chair over to the local furniture repair man and see what it will cost to fix it. Then it will be discussed and I will have to call her and tell her we are charging her for the damages.

Keep us posted on the outcome. I hope it is not too much stress for you, I think it may be from the sounds of the guest.
We have Eastlake furniture in one room in particular, people love to stack heaby luggage on it and anything else. For some reason the floor - although the luggage has been on the floor everywhere else - is not good enough. Nor are the luggage racks.

Keep us posted on the outcome. I hope it is not too much stress for you, I think it may be from the sounds of the guest.
We have Eastlake furniture in one room in particular, people love to stack heaby luggage on it and anything else. For some reason the floor - although the luggage has been on the floor everywhere else - is not good enough. Nor are the luggage racks..
Closets either...guests will leave stuff laying all over the room and draped all over the furniture, and not one thing in the closet!

The other issue is how you will collect for the damages. From my understanding damages are unable to be collected through the credit card held unless the guest had specifically signed to agree to pay for damages when they made the reservation or during check in. The only other way to collect is through collections or small claims court.

We have Eastlake furniture in one room in particular, people love to stack heaby luggage on it and anything else. For some reason the floor - although the luggage has been on the floor everywhere else - is not good enough. Nor are the luggage racks..
Closets either...guests will leave stuff laying all over the room and draped all over the furniture, and not one thing in the closet!
I have even opened the closet door for them when bringing them to the room, but no - all over the floor.

The other issue is how you will collect for the damages. From my understanding damages are unable to be collected through the credit card held unless the guest had specifically signed to agree to pay for damages when they made the reservation or during check in. The only other way to collect is through collections or small claims court..
Copperhead said:
The other issue is how you will collect for the damages. From my understanding damages are unable to be collected through the credit card held unless the guest had specifically signed to agree to pay for damages when they made the reservation or during check in. The only other way to collect is through collections or small claims court.
I have read elsewhere to consider this to be a 'Cleaning Fee".

The other issue is how you will collect for the damages. From my understanding damages are unable to be collected through the credit card held unless the guest had specifically signed to agree to pay for damages when they made the reservation or during check in. The only other way to collect is through collections or small claims court..
Copperhead said:
I don't think you can call broken furniture a cleaning fee and get away with it with a credit card company. You will have to prove she actually did it. It is your word against hers. You definitely need to call and talk to her...stressful though it may be...though she may just deny it anyway. Good luck...you may have to Eat this one as a cost of doing business.

Copperhead said:
I don't think you can call broken furniture a cleaning fee and get away with it with a credit card company. You will have to prove she actually did it. It is your word against hers. You definitely need to call and talk to her...stressful though it may be...though she may just deny it anyway. Good luck...you may have to Eat this one as a cost of doing business.
catlady said:
I have been trying to reach her by phone without success. I have tried to contact her by email as well. This seems to be her preferred method of communication. She would email me from her room to ask questions or let me know she wasn't coming down to breakfast etc. The fact that she waited until no one was around to sneak out like a little mouse and run away is very telling.

Remember, you've written it off as an expense on your taxes, its been used for some time, etc..
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
She was not a large woman, but an odd one. She gave me instructions on what she would and would not eat, but then never came to breakfast for the duration of her stay. She also never left her room except at night, so her room was never freshened while she was here. She was here to recover from a large and expensive tattoo. But when she left, she snuck out so quietly, no one heard her leave.
In the room we found burnt matches on the carpet, food remains put in the dresser drawers, candle wax in the carpet and the broken chair. I have never had so much damage in a room.
The powers that be want me take the chair over to the local furniture repair man and see what it will cost to fix it. Then it will be discussed and I will have to call her and tell her we are charging her for the damages.
The Farmers Daughter said:
Is there ANY involvement of any kind in this business by the owner at all there? I mean aside from the bank deposit and withdrawal end of things.
Seems like for all the issues this particular B&B has happen to it, the glaring abscence of an owner's involvement except in the forcing dictates on you appears to be very telling to me.
Has any of these "discussions" ever resulted in the owner actually:
a.) Taking your side on anything?
b.) The owner handling a problem themselves?
c.) You ever not being forced to do exactly what is the easiest for the owner and problem guest, but always hardest on you?

IMHO things get broken and it is part of doing buisness. We wish people would tell us but they don't always. I have had a rocker broken on the porch. I have also had someone one way to heavy sittling on my pianio stool and guess what down she went. I was so much more relieved she was not hurt than the broken piece. She was not even a guest she was just here saying hi to a guest. I just say I am so sorry I hope you are alright. Neither time did they offer to pay.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Is there ANY involvement of any kind in this business by the owner at all there? I mean aside from the bank deposit and withdrawal end of things.
Seems like for all the issues this particular B&B has happen to it, the glaring abscence of an owner's involvement except in the forcing dictates on you appears to be very telling to me.
c.) You ever not being forced to do exactly what is the easiest for the owner and problem guest, but always hardest on you?
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Rarely because we are a mulit partner investment group.
The senior partners are active in other industries. Major owners of this business, but working 'real' jobs and living elsewhere.
I have the smallest $ investment here, but I am the hands on/live in for the B & B.
This brings a lot of diversity (not to mention, business savvey and a few BIG egos) to the business. One is a broadway set designer, one is a French trained Chef, one with a NYC fashion background).
There is a monthly business meeting and many telephone conversations, but the bottom line is I answer to everyone else and am basically the low rung on the ladder.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
I don't know how you all put the box around what has been said.
Well she does sounds weird. I will say that my remark of this is part of the buisness might just not apply to someone like this. I am shaking my head here.
This is just too odd. Go with your feeling on this one. I will be interested in hearing how it plays out.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
The senior partners are active in other industries. Major owners of this business, but working 'real' jobs and living elsewhere.
I have the smallest $ investment here, but I am the hands on/live in for the B & B.
This brings a lot of diversity (not to mention, business savvey and a few BIG egos) to the business. One is a broadway set designer, one is a French trained Chef, one with a NYC fashion background).
There is a monthly business meeting and many telephone conversations, but the bottom line is I answer to everyone else and am basically the low rung on the ladder.
How big is this place? How many rooms?

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
It is a total of 6 to include:
1 - 800 sq ' luxury cottage with fireplace, jacuzzi and private garden.
2 - Luxury suites with Fireplaces and Jacuzzis.
3 - elegant/upscale guestrooms.
Front, side and rear gardens with fountains on property. I do it all except cut the grass.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
It is a total of 6 to include:
1 - 800 sq ' luxury cottage with fireplace, jacuzzi and private garden.
2 - Luxury suites with Fireplaces and Jacuzzis.
3 - elegant/upscale guestrooms.
Front, side and rear gardens with fountains on property. I do it all except cut the grass.
Ok, so if the joint is so upscale, how the heck do you keep attracting so many schmucks?
There has to be some disconnect going on between the perceived luxury and upscale nature of the place and the low brow type of clientele its attracting.
I mean, people have called me the "bad guest magnet" around here, but both the number of horror stories and the intensity of them which you've had to singlehandedly deal with in the short time you've even just been sharing here, pales in comparison.
At least in most of the rest of our cases here, we can all go tell a lousy guest to take a leap or refuse service. You don't seem to have the power to do any of that and you're answering financially to what seems to be a sizable group of people that are completely inexperienced with the nuances and workings of a B&B type establishment.
Maybe great business people in their own realms or specialties, but at six rooms, no matter how luxurious or high priced, this doesn't seem to be a big enough venture to warrant this level of micromanagement.
I don't know, not trying to second guess you, just making some observations based on what you share and the turmoil you constantly are dealing with.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Well she does sounds weird. I will say that my remark of this is part of the buisness might just not apply to someone like this. I am shaking my head here.
This is just too odd. Go with your feeling on this one. I will be interested in hearing how it plays out.
sandynn said:
How to put the blue 'box' around what has been said...hit the 'quote' button under the reply you want to quote. Then put your response in the text box under the entire quote (not INSIDE the quote!) You'll know the quote(s) is (are) done when you see the brackets [] around the / and the word quote. (Sorry, had to write it out, otherwise it messes up the post!)

Back