How to handle?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We once had a couple booked in for two night, paid in advance.
First morning they came down had breakfast, seemed happy enough, went back upstairs and then went out. We went up to tidy the room and all their stuff is gone and the key is on the side. Never came back and I never knew what happened.
Maybe they didn't like the idea of being in someones home (some Americans don't realise UK B&Bs are usually like that)? Did they change their plans? Did we do something wrong? Did they not like the idea of us being a gay couple?
We'll never know...........and maybe it's better that way.

First morning they came down had breakfast, seemed happy enough, went back upstairs and then went out. We went up to tidy the room and all their stuff is gone and the key is on the side. Never came back and I never knew what happened.
Maybe they didn't like the idea of being in someones home (some Americans don't realise UK B&Bs are usually like that)? Did they change their plans? Did we do something wrong? Did they not like the idea of us being a gay couple?
We'll never know...........and maybe it's better that way..
Highlands John said:
Did they not like the idea of us being a gay couple?
Bingo (just my guess). Don't worry about it. It was nice that they were polite enough and slipped out without making a scene. Press on, and think about all the great guests who've loved staying at your place!

Hate to break it to you but some people are just fricking weird, its that simple.
Had two women (I never actually met them which was part of the weird) arrived at 12 lunch time while I was out at the butchers as they had not rung and asked for early check in. My chamber maid greeted them and to be fair English is not her first language and when she is flustered can be a bit gruff. The women had put on their form they would be arriving at 2pm so I had no reason to believe they would be earlier despite the fact they had come on the train so they blatently knew they would be earlier and would want to leave cases.
Later that evening I found their key in reception and thought - the idiots I don't want them leaving their key as I then have to let them in and out (ie chamber maid has not explained properly) so popped up to the room to make sure that was locked as they had left their key about for anyone to pick up - room was empty. Immediately ran the card which frankly to my surprise worked! Rang the contact number and got her husband who knew nothing about it. I had assumed there had been some kind of emergency. He offered to ring them and find out what was going on.
He very kindly did ring me back and said they didn't like their room and decided not to stay but he was ashamed that they had not let me know this and just disapeared or given me the opportunity to show them another room etc.
Feel they had confused us with the 4 star hotel up the street of very similar name and identicle address apart from number and obviously they were a bit odd to start with, It always naggs at me as i feel if i had ever got into contact with them directly it could have been different but there is nothing I can do about it now.

In June, I had 2 similar occurances. The couple that pulled into the driveway, then pulled out and called me the next day saying we were a "scam". Still don't know what that was about, but no chargeback and no negative review. Then we had a couple who did come in, but even before I opened the front door I could tell they were unhappy. I think they didn't like the area, our location, and had set their expectations so high, that there was no way we could make them happy. They refused to stay, but I got both nights payment and no negative review (at least not yet).
By the way, both of these instances were with couple that were not young. They seemed to both of had expectations that they created themselves and probably did not read the website. As bad as I felt and still feel, I can't make it my problem. The thousands of people we have hosted over the years with rave reviews and personal comments to us are our proof that we are doing something right.
Madeline, it wasn't you. It was them. It still hits us in the gut...but just try to let it go.

In June, I had 2 similar occurances. The couple that pulled into the driveway, then pulled out and called me the next day saying we were a "scam". Still don't know what that was about, but no chargeback and no negative review. Then we had a couple who did come in, but even before I opened the front door I could tell they were unhappy. I think they didn't like the area, our location, and had set their expectations so high, that there was no way we could make them happy. They refused to stay, but I got both nights payment and no negative review (at least not yet).
By the way, both of these instances were with couple that were not young. They seemed to both of had expectations that they created themselves and probably did not read the website. As bad as I felt and still feel, I can't make it my problem. The thousands of people we have hosted over the years with rave reviews and personal comments to us are our proof that we are doing something right.
Madeline, it wasn't you. It was them. It still hits us in the gut...but just try to let it go..
Like the guest who accused me of lying because they saw a cat out on the street as they were coming around the porch and blazenly approached me and spewed "You said there were no cats!" and I corrected them and said "No, there are no cats in the guest areas, I cannot be responsible for neighbors cats." Then they left after demanding their money back (which I had not even charged yet) but the demanding part spoke VOLUMES about them. They were in late 50's early 60's and he was a doctor in NC. They drove a luxury sports car. RUDE
potty-mouth.gif

Madeline, it wasn't you. It was them. It still hits us in the gut...but just try to let it go..
Breakfast Diva said:
Madeline, it wasn't you. It was them. It still hits us in the gut...but just try to let it go.
I agree wholeheartedly. It has nothing to do with you. I hate ketchup. It isn't about Heinz or ketchup at all. And if served a dish with ketchup, my choice to not eat it says nothing about the cook at all, just about the fact that I hate ketchup.

Hate to break it to you but some people are just fricking weird, its that simple.
Had two women (I never actually met them which was part of the weird) arrived at 12 lunch time while I was out at the butchers as they had not rung and asked for early check in. My chamber maid greeted them and to be fair English is not her first language and when she is flustered can be a bit gruff. The women had put on their form they would be arriving at 2pm so I had no reason to believe they would be earlier despite the fact they had come on the train so they blatently knew they would be earlier and would want to leave cases.
Later that evening I found their key in reception and thought - the idiots I don't want them leaving their key as I then have to let them in and out (ie chamber maid has not explained properly) so popped up to the room to make sure that was locked as they had left their key about for anyone to pick up - room was empty. Immediately ran the card which frankly to my surprise worked! Rang the contact number and got her husband who knew nothing about it. I had assumed there had been some kind of emergency. He offered to ring them and find out what was going on.
He very kindly did ring me back and said they didn't like their room and decided not to stay but he was ashamed that they had not let me know this and just disapeared or given me the opportunity to show them another room etc.
Feel they had confused us with the 4 star hotel up the street of very similar name and identicle address apart from number and obviously they were a bit odd to start with, It always naggs at me as i feel if i had ever got into contact with them directly it could have been different but there is nothing I can do about it now.
After 8 years of B&B I'd worked that one out for myself.
teeth_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

Acually had the opposite today. Went up to clean a room after guest checked out. Theres an envelope on the side with my name on it. Inside is £20 and a note saying that in the night he'd got up, tripped over his bag and fallen into the cupboard door. The £20 was to pay for the broken lock and the damage to the varnish and that we should contact him if the repairs cost any more. The note said they were too embarassed to tell us at breakfast.
Warmed my heart and restores my faith.
I've actually refunded £15 back to his card because the damage to the varnish was already there and the lock will only cost a fiver to replace.

Acually had the opposite today. Went up to clean a room after guest checked out. Theres an envelope on the side with my name on it. Inside is £20 and a note saying that in the night he'd got up, tripped over his bag and fallen into the cupboard door. The £20 was to pay for the broken lock and the damage to the varnish and that we should contact him if the repairs cost any more. The note said they were too embarassed to tell us at breakfast.
I've actually refunded £15 back to his card because the damage to the varnish was already there and the lock will only cost a fiver to replace.
See people like that restore my faith! had one myself about a week ago, chap had brought his own shampoo - packed up his bag, put it on the bed and then come down for breakfast. During the packing process the bottle had burst and covered all his clothes and then started leaking through the bag taking the dye of the bag with it onto the duvet cover. It was at this point they came back up stairs and found the disaster. Wife with quick presence of mind put the bag in the shower and whipped off the duvet cover so it didn't leak onto the duvet. They came down and apologised chap with bag in hand and asked how much. I was happy to explain the duvets belong to the landry so it wasn't a problem! Felt sorry for him as all his stuff was ruined!

Ditto this AM here with guest apologizing for mashed fruit from kids all over bedspread. Still don't know if it will come out. They offered to pay and I may have to take them up on it.

Back