How to interpret this?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Guest has received confirmation which states check-in times. Guests reply back that they will stop in early even tho they know they cannot check-in at that time. Why?

Why?
Because they LIKE you! M i c..... See you real soon! Key.... because we LIKE you! M O U S Eeeeeee

I think this is the signs of someone that has been burned and is cautious....they want to have a quick look to make sure your place is "safe" while they still have time to go secure a place to stay someplace else in case they peek in and decide you are scary. (which of course you are not)
Or they are completely afraid that their sense of direction will mess them up so they want to see where you are and then venture out in baby steps from their new home base.

Maybe they are of the same ilk as that woman we had last week who thought maybe the house had been moved.
No, they are simply testing the waters to see what your reaction would be then, and what it will be when they show up unannounced that day.
Nothing aggravates me more than the early arriver who not only won't call, but when they get here and catch me around before I can lock the door and hide gives me the "We know we're not supposed to be here early, but......."
You know, we all talk a lot about first impressions and how important it is for US to make a good one, but some of these guests lay the groundwork for a lot of teeth gritting and hours counting until they check out.

Because they think they can. I had a guest last week who booked online and stated they would be here in the A.M. In my confirmation I pointed out that check-in was not until 3:00. They arrived on my doorstep at 10:30 in the morning! My other guests had not even left yet!

Good points raised but they stated they had been here before, so they do know where it is and the 'safety' of the area. Given they emailed again to say they would be coming back to the inn very late in the evening, my guess is they want their keys early so they can go and do whatever it is they are here for.
This is the second time this week a guest has insisted they were here before (recently) and we have no prior booking for them. I guess we wait until they show up...but they'll be no early check-in that day with every room checking out that morning.

Because the check in policy applies to the general public, not to them.
RIki

And yet another...guests coming for anniversary next week. He calls and says, 'It's her anniversary (guess he wasn't there) so can you have fresh flowers put in the room for her?'
I say I certainly can and it will be $x for a fragrant, seasonal bouquet.
He says, 'I'll call you back.' Swell guy, huh? For HER anniversary I can spend $x on flowers and gift them to her but HE'S not going to.

I'm with the key theory... they know they can't really check in, luggage and all, but they want to get the key, meet you, take care of any paperwork and be on their way to the rest of their day.
I'd rather that than a 10 p.m. check in...
Or maybe they are like the guest I had a few weeks ago who drove right past the place she had reserved... no curb appeal, scary guy on the front porch... and called me to stay here instead. Considering I don't even know of a B&B where she said she was I can't imagine where she thought she was staying. Anyway, maybe they want to "check you out" before check in!
=)
Kk.

I'm with the key theory... they know they can't really check in, luggage and all, but they want to get the key, meet you, take care of any paperwork and be on their way to the rest of their day.
Or maybe they are like the guest I had a few weeks ago who drove right past the place she had reserved... no curb appeal, scary guy on the front porch... and called me to stay here instead. Considering I don't even know of a B&B where she said she was I can't imagine where she thought she was staying. Anyway, maybe they want to "check you out" before check in!
=)
Kk..
The whole problem with the come early get the key scenario is then they will want to see the room. Where it is so they can find it later. Which still means hauling them around the dirty house while trying to make it clean for everyone else who will probably show up early as well!

Good points raised but they stated they had been here before, so they do know where it is and the 'safety' of the area. Given they emailed again to say they would be coming back to the inn very late in the evening, my guess is they want their keys early so they can go and do whatever it is they are here for.
This is the second time this week a guest has insisted they were here before (recently) and we have no prior booking for them. I guess we wait until they show up...but they'll be no early check-in that day with every room checking out that morning..
I would reply back with whatever your policy is for people arriving early and wanting to leave luggage or pick up a key and stress that you are taking care of guests that are currently registered (breakfast, freshening rooms, helping with their day's plans) or assisting guests that might be checking out. And re-state your check-in time in bold letters. You have to nip it in the bud!!

=)
Kk..
The whole problem with the come early get the key scenario is then they will want to see the room. Where it is so they can find it later. Which still means hauling them around the dirty house while trying to make it clean for everyone else who will probably show up early as well!
Exactly! You cannot give them the key until the room is ready. Hotels don't do it, why should you??

=)
Kk..
KEEP THAT DOOR LOCKED and DON't ANSWER THE DOORBELL!

And yet another...guests coming for anniversary next week. He calls and says, 'It's her anniversary (guess he wasn't there) so can you have fresh flowers put in the room for her?'
He says, 'I'll call you back.' Swell guy, huh? For HER anniversary I can spend $x on flowers and gift them to her but HE'S not going to..
Oh no...give me a break!!!

He says, 'I'll call you back.' Swell guy, huh? For HER anniversary I can spend $x on flowers and gift them to her but HE'S not going to..
Bree said:
He says, 'I'll call you back.' Swell guy, huh? For HER anniversary I can spend $x on flowers and gift them to her but HE'S not going to.
He called back. No mention of the flowers but he doesn't know where we're located. Huh? Mentions a completely different town (luckily in the same state!) but has no idea where he's going. Has called about 5 times now and, according to him, emailed several times as well.

Bree said:
He called back. No mention of the flowers but he doesn't know where we're located. Huh? Mentions a completely different town (luckily in the same state!) but has no idea where he's going. Has called about 5 times now and, according to him, emailed several times as well.
The poor baby is lost in Yonkers. Does he know who and where his wife is?

Bree said:
The poor baby is lost in Yonkers. Does he know who and where his wife is?
BTW, they arrived and found a nice card from us and a small chocolate gift. SHE was delighted. HE was embarrassed he didn't know where he was going even tho he made the rez. Everyone OK this morning.

Back