How to Keep Homemade Jam?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
been searching the threads ... is there something i have to do with homemade jam to keep it a while? i only made one big jar and it's in the fridge now. do i need to set the jar (covered?) in water and boil it or something?
it's not going to last a real long time, but might there be bacteria in it so i should be 'canning'? have i misunderstood? i cooked the yum on the stove.

okay, i took the jar back out of the fridge and set it in a pan of boiling water but on its side because i didn't have a big enough pan to have it standing and covered. so 10 min on each of two sides in the boil. hope this is correct!

I think it is ok just as long as you have cooked it and put it in the fridge. If you left if out at room temp. that could be a problem. If you want to preserve them and keep them in the pantry then you would need to water bath can them for the specified amount of time. They usually recommend home canned products to last for about a year and then the quality might degrade after that. If you do plan to start canning it is a lot of fun. I've been canning something just about every other day. Right now I am pressure canning some soup in jars. Go to http://www.freshpreserving.com for more information. They have a great forum there to ask questions.

okay, i took the jar back out of the fridge and set it in a pan of boiling water but on its side because i didn't have a big enough pan to have it standing and covered. so 10 min on each of two sides in the boil. hope this is correct!.
seashanty said:
okay, i took the jar back out of the fridge and set it in a pan of boiling water but on its side because i didn't have a big enough pan to have it standing and covered. so 10 min on each of two sides in the boil. hope this is correct!
Hmmm...have you canned before? That doesn't sound correct to me. The jars and the jam mixture should all be very hot. It should be in a canner and there should be an inch or two of water above the lid standing up right and it should be boiling with the lid on the canner. Be careful with hot jars. If you accidently bump them while they are very hot they could explode. I know from experience and it was a big sticky mess all over the kitchen cabinets and counter.

Jam & jelly gets a layer of parafin on top to seal it when it is made. If it is just one jar and kept in the fridge I would not worry about it. As you said, it is not going to last that long. It is only if you have made a batch and they are going to be sitting on the shelf for a long time.that you need to worry. I will let the expert - Catlady give the scoop because it has been too long since I made jelly.

Jam & jelly gets a layer of parafin on top to seal it when it is made. If it is just one jar and kept in the fridge I would not worry about it. As you said, it is not going to last that long. It is only if you have made a batch and they are going to be sitting on the shelf for a long time.that you need to worry. I will let the expert - Catlady give the scoop because it has been too long since I made jelly..
gillumhouse said:
Jam & jelly gets a layer of parafin on top to seal it when it is made.
I recently took a canning class and was told that using paraffin to seal jars is no longer recommended. The new Ball Blue Book does not recommend it and neither do some of the big universities.

no, i've never canned or 'put up' preserves or anything like that. this is one big jar that i don't expect will last long ... i made some years ago ... just one big jar same as now ... and we just ate it til it was gone.

You can keep jam in the fridge for up to about a month. Longer than that it needs processed 10 min, in a boiling water bath. That means covered at least 1 inch over the top of the jar. NO PARRAFIN. That is out and has been for a decade. Not safe. Here is a link for the only recommended methods by USDA

I don't use parrafin either. Just follow the instructions on the pectin box...you do have to adjust your water bath time according to your altitude as well. There should be 1-2 inches of water above the top of your jars for proper heating and the heat time starts when you have all the jars in the water bath and the water starts boiling, not when you put the jars in the water...your jars should be upright to prevent leaking.
I've placed in our local county fairs two years running for my jam and won 1st place best jams & jelly's at a local fall festival last year...
tounge_smile.gif

I don't use parrafin either. Just follow the instructions on the pectin box...you do have to adjust your water bath time according to your altitude as well. There should be 1-2 inches of water above the top of your jars for proper heating and the heat time starts when you have all the jars in the water bath and the water starts boiling, not when you put the jars in the water...your jars should be upright to prevent leaking.
I've placed in our local county fairs two years running for my jam and won 1st place best jams & jelly's at a local fall festival last year...
tounge_smile.gif
I've placed in our local county fairs two years running for my jam and won 1st place best jams & jelly's at a local fall festival last year
Congratulations! That is going against stiff competition! Only the best of the best compete at County Fairs and Festivals.

so ~ i am good to go! i will post the recipe if anyone wants it .. it's mock jam for using the green tomatoes i had to harvest before the frost.

so ~ i am good to go! i will post the recipe if anyone wants it .. it's mock jam for using the green tomatoes i had to harvest before the frost..
I had a bumper crop of green tomatoes last year, due to early frost...I made salsa!
chef.gif

Back