How to keep the momentum going?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I know what you mean by mental games but if I'm off, just ignore me.
Firstly, what's the part that wears you down? The guests that drain energy? If so, then try holding a picture (or even posting a real photo) of the guests you've had who GIVE energy instead of take it. Some people actually recharge my batteries, even though I'm still working hard in the middle of chaos. Some enrich my life, just in the brief time I meet them. Some, I can see that they got something they really needed by being here. It's corny, I know. But it makes me realize that the work I do here is important for me and for a portion of the guests who pass through.
You're a writer, so you could even jot down a few vignettes about the stand-out guests who have made you feel like this over the years. Then go and read those stories when you're feeling the weight of the energy-suckers.
If it's not so much the guests but the relentless hours of work and repetitive labour, try thinking of the alternative. If you weren't working your own B&B, would you be a wage slave in a cubicle farm? Would you be working nearly as hard and long to build someone else's business? Do a google image search on "cubicle farm" and print out some reminders of why you do what you do.
What else... if venting to other innkeepers helps, then do that (either here or with a local group). But if you find that too much venting just feeds a dark cloud over your head, then stay away from it while you're going through the hardest slog of the season. Or have ready a network of cheerleaders who will say "attaboy", or tell you to buck up, or whatever type of encouragement works for you.
One thing that really keeps me going in the thick of our busiest season is the sheer quantity of guests telling me how lucky I am to live here. You know, they're right! I'm glad they don't let me forget..
Good list. I find I am at my worst when there is nothing happening. I know it sounds stupid, but I seem to function better when I am "making an appointment to get to the loo" busy.
gillumhouse said:
Good list. I find I am at my worst when there is nothing happening. I know it sounds stupid, but I seem to function better when I am "making an appointment to get to the loo" busy.
Took the words out of my mouth. As I begin my search I think frequently about "in season" and "off season". Will the bordom of too few guests make me want to blow my adled brains out, or will I learn a new skill with 3 ft of snow on the ground? Option two is to be in a locale that is year round and never get a break? Hmmmm what's that saying...busy hands.....
One thing I have found that works great for me regardless of the situation; I write myself little notes and leave them where I will see them, ie. the computer screen, the vanity mirror, the wall on the stair landing as I leave my room, the kitchen door, and other silly places. My kids think I am nuts, I am sure I am. Positive affirmation is a positive thing. Keeping the target (whatever it is) in sight makes the journey a little less bumpy.
This is my off-season. So far in January I have worked one election, rounded up poll workers for my own election (City Clerk runs the elections), attended a training class (for BOE election), held a training (for my election), atended several meetings - City Boards, City Council, and civic orgs, had more guests than usual for a January, started planning the Lenten Services schedule (lining up 6 ministers for the 6 services plus Good Friday as prez of Council of Churches) and Sunday leave town for a Municipal League Conference with a one-nighter coming in Sunday afternoon (he is warned so DH will handle it IF I have everything ready before I leave). So far in Feb I have 2 meetings on the 6th (Devel Auth & Council of Churches 1/2 hour apart), electin on the 7th, leave town for 2 days on City biz on the 8th, Tourism Day at the Capital on the 13th and Council meeting that night. And I teach knitting at 3 & 5 on Wednesdays at the Library. Band rehearsals will probably start in March or April on Tuesdays. July will be my crazy month this year. Have the straight jacket at ready! I do not do well with slack.

I think I know what you mean by mental games but if I'm off, just ignore me.
Firstly, what's the part that wears you down? The guests that drain energy? If so, then try holding a picture (or even posting a real photo) of the guests you've had who GIVE energy instead of take it. Some people actually recharge my batteries, even though I'm still working hard in the middle of chaos. Some enrich my life, just in the brief time I meet them. Some, I can see that they got something they really needed by being here. It's corny, I know. But it makes me realize that the work I do here is important for me and for a portion of the guests who pass through.
You're a writer, so you could even jot down a few vignettes about the stand-out guests who have made you feel like this over the years. Then go and read those stories when you're feeling the weight of the energy-suckers.
If it's not so much the guests but the relentless hours of work and repetitive labour, try thinking of the alternative. If you weren't working your own B&B, would you be a wage slave in a cubicle farm? Would you be working nearly as hard and long to build someone else's business? Do a google image search on "cubicle farm" and print out some reminders of why you do what you do.
What else... if venting to other innkeepers helps, then do that (either here or with a local group). But if you find that too much venting just feeds a dark cloud over your head, then stay away from it while you're going through the hardest slog of the season. Or have ready a network of cheerleaders who will say "attaboy", or tell you to buck up, or whatever type of encouragement works for you.
One thing that really keeps me going in the thick of our busiest season is the sheer quantity of guests telling me how lucky I am to live here. You know, they're right! I'm glad they don't let me forget..
gillumhouse said:
Took the words out of my mouth. As I begin my search I think frequently about "in season" and "off season". Will the bordom of too few guests make me want to blow my adled brains out, or will I learn a new skill with 3 ft of snow on the ground? Option two is to be in a locale that is year round and never get a break? Hmmmm what's that saying...busy hands.....
One thing I have found that works great for me regardless of the situation; I write myself little notes and leave them where I will see them, ie. the computer screen, the vanity mirror, the wall on the stair landing as I leave my room, the kitchen door, and other silly places. My kids think I am nuts, I am sure I am. Positive affirmation is a positive thing. Keeping the target (whatever it is) in sight makes the journey a little less bumpy.
Weaver said:
The same question we asked ourselves! We did not want a strictly seasonal place where we had 6 months of nothing to do. Now that we have been doing this for years we wish we had picked a seasonal place so we would have 6 months off! As it is, we have 5 really decent months and 2 so-so months and 5 crappy months where we wonder how we're gonna pay the bills. (But it's not enough time to 'get a job' and no one is hiring now anyway.)
When we bought, this was a going concern for 12 months of the year. Changes in the town we live in (do your research!) made it so that there are way too many empty hotel rooms going for $59 at this time of year so relatively few people will pony up for a B&B at higher prices.

Back