How to make 200 cupcakes ?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
my youngest son is getting married sept 10
i am making cupcakes for their wedding cake, and a jumbo cupcake for the topper. i bought one of those silicone pans and have experimented ... came out really cute!
planning to start in baking some dozens each week and freezing them in the big chest freezer then frosting the day of at the venue in the morning. i'm attaching a picture of my son who assembled the cake tower while his fiancee and i were out.
any do's, don'ts or suggestions? will they get 'sweaty' when thawed? obviously i can't control the weather so i will do the best i can. i am putting them into special tulip shaped papers at the venue as well. (me and a small army who are going to help me do that, decorate with some toulle and put chair covers and sashes on chairs)
thanks.
caketower.jpg

Make sure you use good freezer bags and when you remove them from the freezer make sure you dust off any ice particles IMMEDIATELY and then put them in the fridge, if you don't then they will become damp where the ice is

i've been reading online that the cupcakes might not taste good if frozen for a while.
maybe i will have to do some serious marathon baking the day before! no way will i let them down but yikes.

I made poppyseed cake for 2 weddings - it was soooo moist. I suggest you do a trial run/freeze batch. After 2 weeks, take one out, ice and taste. THAT will give you the answer about how frozen will taste. You still have the 2 weeks to do it if you make them right away.

I made poppyseed cake for 2 weddings - it was soooo moist. I suggest you do a trial run/freeze batch. After 2 weeks, take one out, ice and taste. THAT will give you the answer about how frozen will taste. You still have the 2 weeks to do it if you make them right away..
gillumhouse said:
I suggest you do a trial run/freeze batch. After 2 weeks, take one out, ice and taste. THAT will give you the answer about how frozen will taste.
good idea

I freeze cupcakes all the time. I put them in ziplock bags, take out whatever I need and frost it when still frozen so you don't have to deal with it crumbling. Works great. I think it might depend on your weather (humid/dry) how they will thaw. Definitely do a trial batch and see what works for you.
I would think about getting some big rubbermaid containers and put some sort of shelving (like the kind you buy for plates in cupboards) and store them in there after you've frosted and thawed. I would think they would stay fresh that way and you can store them in multi levels.

Hmm...just my two cents, but would it be that difficult to just bake them all the day before? We're talking 18 dozen. Our regular oven can bake 2 dozen at a time (side by side tins), it's only be 9 batches at about 20 minutes each. That's 3 hours, and as the first batches get cool you can frost them. And just make one BIG mess out of the kitchen but then be DONE at the end!
I have frozen cupcakes and I think they taste fine when thawed, but to me it's a big hassle to find freezer space, get everything wrapped up tight then have to unwrap them to frost and then repackage in whatever you are using for presentation.

I have frozen chocolate cupcakes sucessfully. Tasted just as good a couple of months later.
Riki

Hmm...just my two cents, but would it be that difficult to just bake them all the day before? We're talking 18 dozen. Our regular oven can bake 2 dozen at a time (side by side tins), it's only be 9 batches at about 20 minutes each. That's 3 hours, and as the first batches get cool you can frost them. And just make one BIG mess out of the kitchen but then be DONE at the end!
I have frozen cupcakes and I think they taste fine when thawed, but to me it's a big hassle to find freezer space, get everything wrapped up tight then have to unwrap them to frost and then repackage in whatever you are using for presentation..
Don Draper said:
I have frozen cupcakes and I think they taste fine when thawed, but to me it's a big hassle to find freezer space, get everything wrapped up tight then have to unwrap them to frost and then repackage in whatever you are using for presentation.
thumbs_up.gif

I have frozen chocolate cupcakes sucessfully. Tasted just as good a couple of months later.
Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
There you go . . . Riki can bake them and then send them to you!
wink_smile.gif

I have frozen cupcakes and I think they taste fine when thawed, but to me it's a big hassle to find freezer space, get everything wrapped up tight then have to unwrap them to frost and then repackage in whatever you are using for presentation..
Don Draper said:
For the Mother of the Groom - you darn betcha it would be too much to do the day before. All sorts of things happen on the day before a wedding - rehearsal, rehearsal dinner, meeting with families.... I baked my son's wedding cake the day before and iced it the day of the wedding but it was a very simple 2-tier that I had to talk my d-i-l into. She wanted sprinkles because she had never had a cake with sprinkles - she got it! That also made it simple enough to do. 200 cupcakes? Not on your tintype! Icing them and arranging on the platform will be plenty to do with everything else. SS is a wonder with all she did as an innkeeper, but she also needs to be able to look pretty and and as stress-free as possible do no one thinks she is not happy with this wedding.

Don Draper said:
For the Mother of the Groom - you darn betcha it would be too much to do the day before. All sorts of things happen on the day before a wedding - rehearsal, rehearsal dinner, meeting with families.... I baked my son's wedding cake the day before and iced it the day of the wedding but it was a very simple 2-tier that I had to talk my d-i-l into. She wanted sprinkles because she had never had a cake with sprinkles - she got it! That also made it simple enough to do. 200 cupcakes? Not on your tintype! Icing them and arranging on the platform will be plenty to do with everything else. SS is a wonder with all she did as an innkeeper, but she also needs to be able to look pretty and and as stress-free as possible do no one thinks she is not happy with this wedding.
Well that's totally true, I was only thinking of the cupcakes and not all the other "stuff" that SS would need to do! But she could maybe even do it two days out, cupcakes keep just fine.

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
wink_smile.gif

MTLLodge said:
egoodell said:
Riki
wink_smile.gif
Okay SS what's your address again???
RIki

First of all, congratulations!
I know that you'll figure this out. How wonderful that you're so involved in your son's wedding!!
We have the rehearsal dinner to plan and that's pretty much it...except for writing checks for other parts of the wedding.

Back