How to make the most out of smaller guest rooms

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
From Jumping Rocks
[COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]How to make the most out of smaller guest rooms, some observations and tips from our 7 years photographing them[/COLOR]http://bit.ly/uZ7pox

Liked this tips and tricks post too..
Skamokawa said:
Liked this tips and tricks post too.
Yes, I love how the photo encourages guests to drink wine on the bed.
wow.gif

We have two smaller rooms and we never try to make them look "large" but simply represent their size as they should be. We do a number of things to make these rooms extremely livable. They are well loved by people who live in cities where space is already at a premiums (see London, New York and Paris for examples) and they in fact are well enjoyed by people on smaller budgets because they get to stay at our B&B at a more reasonable price.
That being said, we try to help people in these rooms manage better. The smaller of the two has an armoire that has both hanging space and drawers. We suggest that luggage can be kept on the top. There is a full length mirror on the wall and an ottoman on the floor as well. The bed also has two drawers hidden at the foot of the bed, where they can store more items and we keep the extra blanket.
The other smaller room has a desk hidden in the closet, though I am looking at replacing it with one that will fold down on the wall.
We always explain ways that guests can maximize the space in that room. And we have sometimes actually moved certain items in the room in order to make passage safe if the guest has left items in a position that might create problems for whomever is doing housekeeping.

We have two smaller rooms and we never try to make them look "large" but simply represent their size as they should be. We do a number of things to make these rooms extremely livable. They are well loved by people who live in cities where space is already at a premiums (see London, New York and Paris for examples) and they in fact are well enjoyed by people on smaller budgets because they get to stay at our B&B at a more reasonable price.
That being said, we try to help people in these rooms manage better. The smaller of the two has an armoire that has both hanging space and drawers. We suggest that luggage can be kept on the top. There is a full length mirror on the wall and an ottoman on the floor as well. The bed also has two drawers hidden at the foot of the bed, where they can store more items and we keep the extra blanket.
The other smaller room has a desk hidden in the closet, though I am looking at replacing it with one that will fold down on the wall.
We always explain ways that guests can maximize the space in that room. And we have sometimes actually moved certain items in the room in order to make passage safe if the guest has left items in a position that might create problems for whomever is doing housekeeping..
Hey, you are on vacation...go back to drinking wine, eating great bread & cheese, missing out on the snow...all of this can wait! Hope youre having a good time!

We always explain ways that guests can maximize the space in that room. And we have sometimes actually moved certain items in the room in order to make passage safe if the guest has left items in a position that might create problems for whomever is doing housekeeping..
Hey, you are on vacation...go back to drinking wine, eating great bread & cheese, missing out on the snow...all of this can wait! Hope youre having a good time!
Having a great time. DH is on the bed, snoring up a storm. It's the quiet period before we have to worry about dinner... on a Monday, so that should be a chore. Finally have some Internet with some speed.... some of the places around here don't understand what high speed wi-fi means... I had a place that gave you 200M a day with blocked ports, so you can't do voip, streaming, downloads, sending pictures to your family, etc.

Madeleine said:
I was thinking the same thing about his post! He's on VACATION!!!!

Having a great time. DH is on the bed, snoring up a storm. It's the quiet period before we have to worry about dinner... on a Monday, so that should be a chore. Finally have some Internet with some speed.... some of the places around here don't understand what high speed wi-fi means... I had a place that gave you 200M a day with blocked ports, so you can't do voip, streaming, downloads, sending pictures to your family, etc.
Which is why my vacation does not include a Monday! Tuesday-Sunday, home on Monday, no worries about dinner!

its about looking for the right pieces for example I am looking for some single wardrobes as most people only stay with us a max 3 nights so don't need tons of hanging space and so on.

One thing that I think you should be aware of is that the small room doesn't get misrepresented. I think that the verbal discription should match what the room is really like.

Back