How to make your website tablet friendly

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
http://www.1stwebdesigner.com/design/make-website-tablet-friendly/
Drop down menus... no flash. Gotta be able to navigate with a finger, so small buttons... not so great.
Are you saying dropdown menus are good or bad on a tablet?.
My opinion, they are great. It doesn't do it the way you think, it recreates the list on your screen and it's easy to use.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
My opinion, they are great. It doesn't do it the way you think, it recreates the list on your screen and it's easy to use.
It's just that, in the article, they say, regarding TennesseeTheatre.com:
I feel a bit bad throwing the unsuspecting Tennessee Theatre into my ‘bad designs’ section, as their site isn’t that bad. Unfortunately they’ve disobeyed one of the key rules for tablet design though, drop down menus.
historictene.png

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Drop down menus... no flash. Gotta be able to navigate with a finger, so small buttons... not so great.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I feel a bit bad throwing the unsuspecting Tennessee Theatre into my ‘bad designs’ section, as their site isn’t that bad. Unfortunately they’ve disobeyed one of the key rules for tablet design though, drop down menus.
historictene.png

Do you have a smart phone or tablet? When you go to a drop down menu, it comes up as a large and easy to use list. Essentially it takes the data and makes a list that pops up and is useful.

I am using a tablet right now and drop down menus DO NOT work well for me on tablet.

Drop down menus don't even work well for a mouser such as myself. They frustrate me most of the time.
cry_smile.gif

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
historictene.png

I'm an idiot.... I was thinking of real drop down menus, until I looked up at the image this morning and saw what they meant....
Drop down menus, like the ones shown above don't work well at all! What does work are pull-downs, like when you want to load the "State/Province" and there is a list. That switches on screen. He is correct, pull downs are heck to work with on a tablet or smart phone. So are tiny click on the word links.
Sorry, wasn't thinking straight.

I've never touched a tablet, so don't have one to experiment on. I'm wondering about the big switching photos most B&B websites have at the top of the page, full page width. Like at this site. Do those display OK on a tablet?
I get confused about the differences between "flash" and "java". I know one or the other, or both, doesn't work in the iPhone/iPad.

I've never touched a tablet, so don't have one to experiment on. I'm wondering about the big switching photos most B&B websites have at the top of the page, full page width. Like at this site. Do those display OK on a tablet?
I get confused about the differences between "flash" and "java". I know one or the other, or both, doesn't work in the iPhone/iPad..
Here is innteractive inns with reg page view and mobile page view (so this is smaller for phones) have a look here.
The photos are compressed, so the same on a pad, right? Someone with a pad let us know. DH has one for work, I can check it tonight. I have not even been on it to test it out and see if I like it, he really likes it especially for email!!

I get confused about the differences between "flash" and "java". I know one or the other, or both, doesn't work in the iPhone/iPad..
Here is innteractive inns with reg page view and mobile page view (so this is smaller for phones) have a look here.
The photos are compressed, so the same on a pad, right? Someone with a pad let us know. DH has one for work, I can check it tonight. I have not even been on it to test it out and see if I like it, he really likes it especially for email!!
Here are screen shots the support guy took for me for the site I did this summer. But doesn't show what happens when you click on the drop down Menu
IPAD capture shot
IPAD%20Capture%20of%20the%20site..PNG

IPHONE Capture Shot
IPhone%20Capture%20of%20site..PNG

The problem with dropdown menus is that they often only function on "hover" there is no hover on a tablet or phone, only a tap/click or a drag. Some menus are good enough to provide the dropdown on hover AND click.

Back