How to pre-open a hotel

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
KB - I saw this and thought it might be useful for those currently in the remodel/reconstruction phase prior to opening (I know at least half a dozen here doing this)
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]How to pre-open a hotel [Part One of Two - social media and digital marketing] | Tnooz [/COLOR]http://bit.ly/LDkJp1

I put a big sign on the front of my construction project from day one, telling what's coming. It includes a QR code so big you can scan it from your car as you pass by! It takes you to a "history of the buiding" page that then links to info on what the guesthouse will be like.
It's amazing to sit across the street from my building and watch people drive by, slow down, even stop to read about the project, and people passing by on the sidewalk often stop and read the whole thing. People are always curious about what's going in in town.
I'm considering starting to take online reservations soon, for stays starting in mid-November, just so I can put a "now taking reservations" sign up!

And Arks, if I lived there, I would want to be the first into the new digs.
Maybe a contest of sorts would be in order as well, after the ribbon cutting. :) Could be great publicity.

Yes, today at our Rotary Club meeting one of the guys I ate with suggested having a drawing among the club for a night there when it opens. Our club is mostly made up of the town's largest business owners, so I think it would be a good idea. These are the type people who want a nicer place than the motel when they have business clients or family visiting town.
I'd already planned to have an open house when it's done, to invite people who occasionally bring people to town to wine and dine them, like the president of the local college and the hospital administrator who brings new doctors to town to recruite them.
My sister recently opened her "variety store" across the street from my guesthouse and she tells everybody who comes in that they should consider staying at my place the next time they want to "get away". Just stay there and don't tell anybody where they are. Tell everybody they're out of town for a few days and check in to my guesthouse! I guess it could happen. Have any of you innkeepers ever had locals stay at your place?

Yes, today at our Rotary Club meeting one of the guys I ate with suggested having a drawing among the club for a night there when it opens. Our club is mostly made up of the town's largest business owners, so I think it would be a good idea. These are the type people who want a nicer place than the motel when they have business clients or family visiting town.
I'd already planned to have an open house when it's done, to invite people who occasionally bring people to town to wine and dine them, like the president of the local college and the hospital administrator who brings new doctors to town to recruite them.
My sister recently opened her "variety store" across the street from my guesthouse and she tells everybody who comes in that they should consider staying at my place the next time they want to "get away". Just stay there and don't tell anybody where they are. Tell everybody they're out of town for a few days and check in to my guesthouse! I guess it could happen. Have any of you innkeepers ever had locals stay at your place?.
Arkansawyer said:
Have any of you innkeepers ever had locals stay at your place?
Rare. Rarer still are locals referring to us. I think we've had maybe 3-4 guests in 8 years who were referred by someone who lives here.

My sister recently opened her "variety store" across the street from my guesthouse and she tells everybody who comes in that they should consider staying at my place the next time they want to "get away". Just stay there and don't tell anybody where they are. Tell everybody they're out of town for a few days and check in to my guesthouse! I guess it could happen. Have any of you innkeepers ever had locals stay at your place?.
Arkansawyer said:
With or without teeth?

Rare but yes I have. One man booked a dinner and night for his wife's birthday. The Mayor's m-i-l was booked here for her wedding night when she remarried.
The thing I tell locals is this: For special times like birthdays or anniversaries if you book here, you do not spend MOST of your get-away time in travel and if the phone rings, it is NOT for you!
I have also had some locals send family members here instead of staying with them - no room for guests, etc

I must say that the demographics of non-touristy towns like mine must make it easier to attract locals. I've had several here for wedding night, an occasional local couple here for a "get away" and I often have out of town relatives of locals... 2 rooms in that category just tonight. Rare to get any tourists.

Arkansawyer said:
With or without teeth?
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
With or without teeth?
When I first moved to the sticks, I needed to find a new dentist. It was suggested by the then H to ask some of our customers. I said "soon as I find some with teeth"

Back