How to Relieve the PRESSURE???

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
Sorry, total whine/vent here. We are in the heart of the non-stop season. Last day off was 8 weeks ago, next one is 6 weeks away. Guests this past weekend incredibly needy...we feel like we already do a lot of spoon feeding when it comes to info on the area/things to do, but people really needed to be taken by the hand, every time one of us turned around someone was there with a question on something we felt like we'd already covered twice for them.
We have two back up plans that we can usually call on for relief...an afternoon away and sometimes up to a week depending on scheduling. Option #1 is currently 3 days past her due date with her first baby (POOR thing, she is miserable, at least we are not dealing with that!), and Option #2 has family visiting until the end of August and is not available.
Every day for the past week and the forseeable future is 95+ degrees, with no rain in sight, so watering becomes a 2 hour a day job so as not to lose all the hard work we put into the gardens. And of course every time I"m out there someone's got SOMETHING THEY NEED so I have to stop, help, then go back...just ugh.
Now sitting here waiting for the last 2 of 3 check-ins...can they just get here already???
NOT our finest moment...

we have not only not had a day off but have had a full house for 14 days then half full one day then back to full again for 3 days and my boiler has just gone on the blink! on a sunday night great at least it is under warrenty but they think it is the circuit board and that will be the second one in 18months so I am not best impressed at least it is warm so don't need the central heating. and to top this off my wisdom teeth have decided now is the time to act up.

we have not only not had a day off but have had a full house for 14 days then half full one day then back to full again for 3 days and my boiler has just gone on the blink! on a sunday night great at least it is under warrenty but they think it is the circuit board and that will be the second one in 18months so I am not best impressed at least it is warm so don't need the central heating. and to top this off my wisdom teeth have decided now is the time to act up..
and to top this off my wisdom teeth have decided now is the time to act up.
Poor baby!! The boiler was enough to deal with but the wisdom teeth tops anything - that HURTS! You do have sympathy from me. As long ago as it was, I STILL remember that pain.

Kaching kaching let it ring!
(and hugs to you, of course, you need a break and Mister Don)

This relentless drought and 100º+ temperatures for more than 22 consecutive days are taking a toll on us as well. Our pond is nearly 6 feet below its normal level and what little landscape that has survived the drought because of continuous watering is now being eaten by the deer or dug up by the armadillos because their normal food supply is literally dried up. Our woods are wilting and we are starting to lose some very old and very large trees.
Yet, we stay busy. I don't get. What's wrong with these people? We had someone last night that wanted a campfire. It was 95º at 10 p.m.!! We're grateful for the income, but we are ready for the fall and for some rain.
To answer the question: How to relieve the pressure? Mojitos and lots of them.

[/h1]

I hope you get the break you need - even for a few hours. I must admit that although I like the ka-ching, I am glad I do not have your occupancy.
I am still trying to figure out why people want a 7 AM breakfast when they are just going to go back to the room for a couple hours. It is not as if they had an appointment, meeting, or wanted an early start.

This relentless drought and 100º+ temperatures for more than 22 consecutive days are taking a toll on us as well. Our pond is nearly 6 feet below its normal level and what little landscape that has survived the drought because of continuous watering is now being eaten by the deer or dug up by the armadillos because their normal food supply is literally dried up. Our woods are wilting and we are starting to lose some very old and very large trees.
Yet, we stay busy. I don't get. What's wrong with these people? We had someone last night that wanted a campfire. It was 95º at 10 p.m.!! We're grateful for the income, but we are ready for the fall and for some rain.

[/h1]
I am so sorry for your drought, it just makes you sick to see everything wither up like that...I don't know why I take it personally but I do, like I'm a rain deterrent or something! Last year our neighbors lost two very old maples, it's just terrible.
I am at the point where multiple vodka tonics are not helping at all...too hot/depressed for a drink, I would not have thought it possible!!!
Here's a help: Second set of guests just checked in, super nice and seemingly very competent! Down to one...

[/h1]
I am so sorry for your drought, it just makes you sick to see everything wither up like that...I don't know why I take it personally but I do, like I'm a rain deterrent or something! Last year our neighbors lost two very old maples, it's just terrible.
I am at the point where multiple vodka tonics are not helping at all...too hot/depressed for a drink, I would not have thought it possible!!!
Here's a help: Second set of guests just checked in, super nice and seemingly very competent! Down to one...
it is POURING down right now...yeah!

[/h1]
cry_smile.gif

[/h1]
Joey Bloggs said:
Where are you? Oh by the way, I hate you. ( just kidding).

Totally get it. Can't stand this heat. At least today we were able to open the windows again.
Not so much this year, but last year it was brutal. I think it was 130+ days straight without a day off. This year we took 2 days off in June to go see the new grandbaby. But daughter told us well in advance so we could plan that one! Otherwise we'd be working on our 8th straight week at this point. And it looks like I might have a day off coming up in August.
There are days I hide. Ok, all guest cars are gone, quick run into the inn or outside to catch up. And I don't even like to go out to turn off the lights at night if I know someone is out there. There are times we just need alone time! Wanted to go out for dinner. Guest called to ask what was the latest she could check-in. So, rather than actually saying, 'Great, I won't worry about getting there, just leave me the keys,' she said, 'I'll try to get there by 7.' Right. So now we sit around and wait and MAYBE she'll be here by 7.
Don't want to jinx myself but we've had relatively little hand-holding to do this year. It's a nice break. This weekend is usually a particularly difficult one but it's gone very well this year with only one prima donna in the house. (Usually it looks like an episode of the 'Real Housewives of...' on this weekend. This year the bling went elsewhere.)

Totally get it. Can't stand this heat. At least today we were able to open the windows again.
Not so much this year, but last year it was brutal. I think it was 130+ days straight without a day off. This year we took 2 days off in June to go see the new grandbaby. But daughter told us well in advance so we could plan that one! Otherwise we'd be working on our 8th straight week at this point. And it looks like I might have a day off coming up in August.
There are days I hide. Ok, all guest cars are gone, quick run into the inn or outside to catch up. And I don't even like to go out to turn off the lights at night if I know someone is out there. There are times we just need alone time! Wanted to go out for dinner. Guest called to ask what was the latest she could check-in. So, rather than actually saying, 'Great, I won't worry about getting there, just leave me the keys,' she said, 'I'll try to get there by 7.' Right. So now we sit around and wait and MAYBE she'll be here by 7.
Don't want to jinx myself but we've had relatively little hand-holding to do this year. It's a nice break. This weekend is usually a particularly difficult one but it's gone very well this year with only one prima donna in the house. (Usually it looks like an episode of the 'Real Housewives of...' on this weekend. This year the bling went elsewhere.).
Alibi Ike said:
There are days I hide. Ok, all guest cars are gone, quick run into the inn or outside to catch up. And I don't even like to go out to turn off the lights at night if I know someone is out there.
THANK YOU! It helps to know I'm not the only one
regular_smile.gif

Don't want to jinx myself but we've had relatively little hand-holding to do this year. It's a nice break. This weekend is usually a particularly difficult one but it's gone very well this year with only one prima donna in the house. (Usually it looks like an episode of the 'Real Housewives of...' on this weekend. This year the bling went elsewhere.).
Alibi Ike said:
There are days I hide. Ok, all guest cars are gone, quick run into the inn or outside to catch up. And I don't even like to go out to turn off the lights at night if I know someone is out there.
THANK YOU! It helps to know I'm not the only one
regular_smile.gif

And, yes, it IS too hot to drink!

[/h1]
Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joey Bloggs said:
We got 1.2 inches in 40 minutes! Slammed and then left us and onward. Boy was it nice to cool down with that wind and rain for a short spell anyway.

Yup, full, full, full & next day off is likely end of Oct. Trying to pin down hubby to schedule a week or two away & call in the inn-sitter. Crossing fingers that we'll commit by week's end to OUR vaca! :)
amended to add: we live in the Caribbean, so HOT, HOT, HOT all the time...

Yup, full, full, full & next day off is likely end of Oct. Trying to pin down hubby to schedule a week or two away & call in the inn-sitter. Crossing fingers that we'll commit by week's end to OUR vaca! :)
amended to add: we live in the Caribbean, so HOT, HOT, HOT all the time....
Yes, if we could schedule a vacation it would give me a distraction to turn to when the pressure gets to be too much! But nothing until 2012 the way it looks now.
We had been to PR in January one year and just loved it. We decided to go back during their off season when thing were much cheaper...how much hotter could it be in August? WOW!!! I did not know the definition of humidity until that week on Vieques in August...mama mia!!!!! We needed a shower after our shower.
Stay cool and get that vacay planned!

amended to add: we live in the Caribbean, so HOT, HOT, HOT all the time....
Yes, if we could schedule a vacation it would give me a distraction to turn to when the pressure gets to be too much! But nothing until 2012 the way it looks now.
We had been to PR in January one year and just loved it. We decided to go back during their off season when thing were much cheaper...how much hotter could it be in August? WOW!!! I did not know the definition of humidity until that week on Vieques in August...mama mia!!!!! We needed a shower after our shower.
Stay cool and get that vacay planned!
it has been hotter than spain here its been bonkers! plus my boiler went mad and pumped out heat all the time for no reason and now has blown up. we nearly melted!

MIRACLE! A thunderstorm!!! Water falling from the sky, and more on the way!!!
I'm sending rainy thoughts down to Texas for ya PT...

MIRACLE! A thunderstorm!!! Water falling from the sky, and more on the way!!!
I'm sending rainy thoughts down to Texas for ya PT....
We're supposed to get some of that. But it is absolutely fantastic weather outside right now.

Back